Is Weight a Joke?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by DavidM1, Feb 4, 2020.

1. DavidM1

DavidM1 Tele-Holic

Are we being compromised by the “Sweetwater” effect where every guitar sold these days has to hit the “light and resonant” ideal weight, which is of course lighter than its neighbours and ideally with a 7lb designation, even if adding a trem bar could bump it over 8! :eek:

I’ve been thinking about this after taking the pickups, wiring, switch, control plate and jack out of a 2019 tele and replacing them with high quality aftermarket parts. I was surprised how lightweight the Fender parts were compared to the others, especially the pickups and control plate. It got me thinking that weight itself isn’t a very good measure. It also got me thinking how much pressure companies have been under to shave ounces everywhere and whether that might be influencing their decisions in ways we wouldn’t want.

Thoughts?

Attached Files:

Fingerbleed, gwjensen and Steve Holt like this.
  2. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yup, there’s no getting around it. Weight is a thing.

JayFreddy, jvin248, Obsessed and 9 others like this.
  3. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I must admit, I cannot be objective when it comes to guitar weight.

I have owned heavy guitars of all brands and descriptions, and I have owned lightweight ones.

a. I've never been able to discern any appreciable difference in tone between heavy and light

and,

b. It's painful to lug around a heavy axe, let alone strap it on for an entire set at a time.

Granted, I'm 60 years old, and my back isn't what it once was.
    But lighter is preferable, in my universe.

Same thing with guitar amplifiers, by the way.
    The lighter the better.

Bravo to all the major guitar companies, by and by, for offering us so many choices.
    Vintage heavy, period correct medium-weight, and ultra modern weight-relieved.
    They are all good to somebody, and we can all hit the music store and go home happy.

:)
    istockphoto-857281294-1024x1024.jpg

4. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

Most of my Fenders are at 8lbs. My Road Worn 50s and Squier Tele Deluxe are both 7.5 lbs.

I play sitting and never longer than an hour so weight doesn’t make a big difference to me.

If I was standing for 2-4 hours I would prefer a lighter guitar. No joke.

Skydog1010, FenderGuy53 and gwjensen like this.
  5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Weight has certainly become a "thing" with me. My longtime #1 gigging Telecaster tips the scales at exactly 8 lbs. Twenty+ years ago, that wouldn't have been an issue. Unfortunately, today it is. I've been a longtime user of really nice, padded leather Levy straps, but now, even those don't relieve the strain on my shoulder, neck and back. My current #1 is a "copy" of my old #1, except that it has a lightweight Paulownia body.....weighing in at just a hair over 5 lbs. It makes a tremendous difference on a gig.
    You're only as old as you feel??????.....maybe, but you're also only as old as your guitar's WEIGHT makes you feel. ;)

6. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

I have a 6.75 lb Telecaster and I gotta say it feels GREAT! But like the tone of my 7.4lb'er instead...That ~3/4 lb makes a HUGE difference in feel!

FenderGuy53 and Chiogtr4x like this.
  7. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Decades ago, everyone wanted the heavy, dense guitar. Now everyone wants the light, resonant guitar. Whatever works for you.

I have a preference - so it's nice to see weights listed. If it helps Sweetwater sell more guitars, hey, more power to them.

8. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

I keep it simple. I have never weighed a guitar, and I never will.

9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

But then, how can you "weigh" in on a post about guitar weights?......oh, I guess you just did. ;)

10. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Well played.

11. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

I know what my Les Paul weighs...and I know how my back feels after a long rehearsal or gig. I agree that a light guitar makes a HUGE difference in my personal morale -

My Les Paul's weight pointed me towards El Dorado straps and the wide shearling pad - and I continue to use them on all of my guitars, regardless of weight.

nojazzhere likes this.
  12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

So, you upgraded your Tele with a boutique control plate, and you think light weight is hype?

What does the boutique control plate do better aside from being heavier?

Do you remember the brass age when everybody though heavier guitars sounded heavier so they replace all the metal parts with over sized brass parts and some even put brass plates on the back of headstocks?

13. Cheap Trills

Cheap Trills Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

It affects the sound, I don't care what any faulty tests on YT claim. Hold it, strum it, listen.. clamp a weight on the headstock, listen. take it off, listen -- just as a demonstration. There's no hard rules since every other part of the guitar's ecosystem will affect the sound as well but there are generalizations.

I agree with others that age and strain on my neck has made me prioritize weight more.

I also feel like balance can matter just as much as weight. I have a 5.5 lb guitar that neck dives and, even as my lightest guitar, it irritates my neck issues more than the others.

FenderGuy53 and EsquireBoy like this.
  14. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

I prefer light guitars the older I get but I must confess I don’t know the weight of any of my guitars. I know my heaviest is my Les Paul and my lightest is my thinline.

FenderGuy53 and LutherBurger like this.
  15. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I gravitate to light guitars.
    All my main squeeze guitars are lighter.
    My bass weighs a ton, but I love it!
    Weight is a thing with me.
    I don’t think it matters much sonically, but I’m a giggin’ fool, and my left trapezius kills me when I play my bass, LP Custom, gold top, or Larrivee RS4

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  16. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Meister

I don't really care but when I pick up a guitar I know immediately if it's too heavy for me to want. I have no idea what that weight is though.

LutherBurger likes this.
  17. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Tele-Meister

i don't buy Tele's over 7 lbs. On the other hand, when I play Tele's under 6.5 lbs. they don't feel quite right. I think most players have preferences on weight. Mine tend to be on the lighter side. I do not correlate tone with weight...based on experience. I would bet I have played about 500 + guitars in life and have played for about 50 years and good tone comes in all weight ranges IMO.

Mr.Ike, OldDude2, jamester and 5 others like this.
  18. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

You can have the nine pounders, I'm happy to seek out the lighter ones.

FenderGuy53 and telemnemonics like this.
  19. telemnemonics

As far as lightweight being hype I half agree that resonance is over hyped as being important for electric guitar sound.
    You may like the feel unplugged but it isn’t any improvement to sound or quality.
    I actually prefer the strings not be damped by a soft body vibrating.
    I also prefer harder wood that holds screws and resists dents.
    But then I don’t like HBs so not everyone has to like what I like.

My back has other agendas like carrying my torso upright for a few more decades.

20. telemnemonics

Gravitate hahaha I see what you did there!

And trapezius kills, testify!

Bless them who know not chronic pain.
    Bless them every one...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.