Is this worth it?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by EdgarHF, Sep 30, 2020.

1. EdgarHF

EdgarHF Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Right after purchasing a Custom Shop Telecaster, I received a small windfall. I am thinking of either buying another CS Telecaster (this time an NOS) or buying an early 70s, or a late 60s Tele. I saw this 66 that has some mods. Browsing Reverb I came upon a '66 for $7000. This is $1500 over my windfall, but I might be able to still swing it. Can someone with a little advise on this particular guitar? Does it look worth it? It being a refin does not bother me. I want this to be a player's guitar.
    https://reverb.com/item/5876886-fender-telecaster-1966-aged-translucent-white-nitro-lacquer

Boreas likes this.
  2. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The asking price is getting into the range of an ORIGINAL vintage guitar. And that is assuming it is genuine, which sounds likely. The seller is open to offers. I certainly wouldn't offer over your windfall. Bottom line - it depends how much you like it, but for an investment, I feel it is overpriced. I would keep looking for a 70s CBS model that is ORIGINAL. Those not only will be in your price range, they will likely appreciate more than a refurbished/refinished pre-CBS instrument. Just my $0.02.

Skamania, Ebidis and EdgarHF like this.
  3. JJLC

JJLC Tele-Holic

IMO that's a lot of non-original naughtiness going on with that example; could likely locate one all original for $2K more.

I would pass but that's just me

I always say any guitar is worth what anyone is willing to pay for it :lol:

Boreas and EdgarHF like this.
  4. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

The way I would look at it is this. If after playing the guitar it's the greatest thing since sliced bread then buy it keeping in mind it's not the greatest investment. If you really don't mind all the changes on a vintage guitar then I would find the cheapest 66 (or whatever) that felt pretty good and have it restored to your own specs color frets pickups etc. It'll be cheaper in the long run.

As for the price it's high for what it is, their trading on terms like master luthier and guitar master to jack up the value.

5. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I am thinking many master luthiers would perform these modifications under duress...

warrent and EdgarHF like this.
  6. Gaz_

Gaz_ Tele-Meister

I'd be wondering why it's all been done. Granted, if a pickup was broken, you'd replace it. I can understand a refret to make it playable.

But it seems to imply the seller has had it refurbed, in a way that detracts from the value of the guitar, to then sell the guitar.

I would want to see pictures of the process, and also where are the replaced parts?

That being said, it's worth what you'd pay. I hated the only vintage guitar I ever bought. As my mate put it "you kind of expect the old wood to have it's own sound and vibe, but this just sounds abit like an old cupboard"

EdgarHF and Boreas like this.
  7. EdgarHF

Thanks, guys. You all kind of cooled me on this guitar.:cool: I am now thinking either going back to picking up another CS or wait around locally or at least near enough that I could play before laying out that kind of money for a vintage in my price range.

TJStone likes this.
  8. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

I have a 68 that I bought new for approx $280 that year and have to say that I like it a lot but no way would I pay that big price for it, somebody else might...

With all the options out there these days go shopping IMO. If you ever try to re-sell it the headstock refinish would probably kill your price.

I could live with a good body refin but not that pristine flat-finish headstock, have no idea why, personal preference maybe.

That headstock makes it look like a partscaster to me even if it isn't. Also has a logo that seems original but looks too new.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  9. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

WAY overpriced for what it is. The refin would kill it for me anyway, especially the new logo.

Boreas likes this.
  10. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

Not the advice you are looking for, but in these uncertain economic times, I'd be putting any windfall, especially of that size, right into an emergency fund. If you need to sell that '66 in a hurry, you'll lose your shirt.

11. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

If you've got the $$ I'd consider other boutique builders as well. You have a CS Tele...why not have Suhr or someone else build a guitar to your specs...? You decide each and every feature and component.

EdgarHF likes this.
  12. EdgarHF

I am 66, retired and saved my entire life. I think I may be okay.:)

TJStone, Peegoo and gregulator450 like this.
  13. d barham

d barham Tele-Holic

You have Chicago Music Exchange close by and Nashville not horribly far away. If I was thinking about spending that much money on a vintage Fender, I'd want to see as many as I could up close first.

14. aleski

aleski Tele-Meister

I'll echo the sentiments of those who came before me. I'm not a vintage aficionado, but I've seen a fair number of vintage instruments that made me seriously think doubling or tripling my typical acquisition budget. This particular specimen is not one of them.

15. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve got that on my “watch” list so I guess I’m one of the few that think it’s close to being worth it

I’ll echo the old saying, “it’s worth what you will pay for it”

EdgarHF likes this.
  16. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Sticker replaced and on an angle. Lots of other details look OK, veneer rosewood maple cap. But enough is changed......

If it were me, I'd offer 20% less and get it on approval.

EdgarHF likes this.
  17. EdgarHF

Both those are probably good options. I bought my EJ strat used at CME and my 000-28. As an unrelated note about CME, 10 years ago it was a full blown vintage store. They still get some nice guitars, but nothing like the past. It is still the best music store in m6 area but it has slowly been evolving in a big guitar store. I do understand the economic pressures they are under in the Internet age. Back in the 90s at their old location they were a vintage store.

Boreas likes this.
  18. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

Not worth that money.
    Think what alternatives you could buy with the same cash

EdgarHF likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.