Is this whole equipment fixation a guitar oriented thing?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DougM, Mar 5, 2018.

1. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I wore flannel shirts many years ago. I'm certain my naval lint collection would surpass your's via display of colors you could only dream of...:lol:

Toto'sDad likes this.
  2. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

What the hell would men talk about if they didn't have hobbies?

3. Smiff

Smiff Tele-Holic

They seemed quite a lot like this forum to be fair.

Guys discussing which movements and materials were better, guys discussing which mods to make to their watches, guys asking which new coloured watch face looked the best, guys discussing their preference over nylon or leather straps. And even guys like our pickup guru who’s name currently escapes me; who posted graphs and stuff measuring and comparing the bpm of different movements.

For what it’s worth I got a blue Seiko SNZG. It is a military style watch and I was in the Royal Air Force long ago so wanted a blue one (the watch I got in the RAF lasted about 10 years before breaking and needing replacing), it’s got numbers instead of lines or Roman letters so I can show my kids the time better, Seiko luminous material is meant to be the best and the 7S36c movement is meant to be a real workhorse like a Telecaster lol. It’s consistantly lost 10 seconds every day since I got it so I always know what time it actually is and get to adjust it every week. I wanted a mechanical watch as I’m an engineer and all the gears etc. appealed to me.

I’ve just realised I’ve just spoke more about my watch there than I have about my guitars the whole time I’ve been a member on here. :lol:

telemnemonics likes this.
  4. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't think I've seen that kind of potty talk yet on this site. However, we do have a lot of older members here, so it probably won't be long.

5. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I think your naval lint would all be blue. Your navel lint, on the other hand, could be any color.

moosie and telemnemonics like this.
  6. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

I moderate a gun forum. You should see the arguments over spring weight in semi-autos!

People are the same all over. It's just our widgets that change.

telemnemonics, Boomhauer and Obsessed like this.
  7. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Try the tennis warehouse forum @DougM the fights over tennis racquets are legendary.

I think this overall is a pretty agreeable group. Most snarky remarks I've read often have a bit of truth in them.....

8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Of course you do! Lemme see if I remember how this goes. And away up yonder ahead of then all, came ah prancin' and ah dancin' my mighty StewBill! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

william tele likes this.
  9. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Gearslutz?

10. rickslick11

rickslick11 TDPRI Member

Golf has waaay more GAS than guitars some switch clubs after almost every round looking for the edge... Balls, tees, shoes, clubs... all kind of gear

Toto'sDad likes this.
  11. william tele

Well, finally! I wondered how long that low hanger would set out in the open...;)

telemnemonics and DougM like this.
  12. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

no

clarinetists are neurotic about reeds

13. Vespa_One

Vespa_One Tele-Holic

Interesting shaving thread here on tdpri.

14. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Today I stopped off on the way home from the optometrist's office, and putted a little at the golf course. So help me, a guy was on the putting green with the fanciest stimpmeter I've seen. Looked like part of a roller coaster track. That's a gizmo to measure the speed of the greens. Then he had a laser device that he would point at the hole, with a little mirror that bounced back to the device when it was perfectly aligned. Then he set up a little gate that had a laser on it, that would do something to the light in the hole was perfectly aligned. Then he'd put a ball on the gate, and putt it, and record something in a book for posterities sake I suppose. When he got everything all measured out, he putted for a while without all the equipment. I dunno what all of that accomplished, but I'm guessin' he must know a little SOMETHING about putting. I right away thought, Man, I gotta have me one of them things!

15. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

So, what is the consensus on trigger release weight for an older Remington 700 30-06 these days?

16. soulgeezer

It's a Ruger forum. But, I'm sure there are plenty of Remington forums where you can ask, though!

And, 5 pounds. The answer is always five pounds!

Obsessed likes this.
  17. william tele

POUNDS!? What are you, a lawyer?

soulgeezer likes this.
  18. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

*pound*pound*pound*pound*pound*

Nah man, I'm a judge.

william tele likes this.
  19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm not a drummer but I have four snares to go with my beater Sonor kit plus a somewhat enviable collection of great vintage Zildjians.
    (Edit: now that I think of it there was little useful info on the great vintage cymbals on drum forums, had to dig a lot to learn how to determine production era and methods. Critical info!)
    Several of my snares are modded or in the process.
    I've been "not a drummer" for 30 years, so there's that.

I used to play Sax and was on a sax forum, never on a drum forum because, well, drummers.

But on the sax forum I found the most brutal snobbery and bile.
    Things get personally mean and no mods step in.
    Bear in mind that sax players pretty universally studied and were trained in the science of music much more than typical guitar players, which also means that sax players might tend to be more rigid in their views and opinions.

Among the various minutia debated there, is the little curved piece of metal on the back of a sax where you grab it with your thumb.
    The "thumb hook" can be replaced on many modern saxes, and there is endless debate about the tone of the thumb hook.
    The thumb hook has tone.

I never got into the thumb hook debate but did spend some time on the "hard rubber vs metal mouthpiece debate".
    Now sax players being more likely to have masters degrees in music than guitar players; actually CNC machined identical mouthpieces in different materials, and performed double blind tests where the player couldn't even hear himself, and over 1000 posts listened, guessed, and argued over the results.
    Inconclusive IMO!
    Not all were in agreement.

We here are pretty mellow.
    Maybe it gets worse over that TGP?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  20. soulgeezer

Since I don't think we're talking about sniping here, a 700 in 30-06 is a hunting rifle, not a target rifle. 4 - 5 pounds is just about right. 3.5 if you prefer, but it's less safe with an OEM 700 trigger group.

william tele and Obsessed like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.