Is this the place to discuss the WIRING of pickups???

wabashslim

Friend of Leo's
for example, i had hoped that instead of a row of dpdt switcches for on off, it would be a row of 5 position strat switches for off, on, and the various voices.
You could do that, using the Strat switches in place of the rotaries I suggested above. Connect the 4 pickup tapped outputs to the switched terminals and leave one position empty for OFF. This makes it possible to turn the whole guitar off, intentionally or not. There's going to be some major interactions between pickups, like if you have one selected for a 5k tap and another for 20k...whether in parallel or series. Might not sound so good.
Also have you considered just how you're going to manage all those taps when putting pickups in series or reversing phase? If you just sit down and begin to sketch this out you'll come to see the sheer enormity of this idea. This isn't electronic theory, it's just a matter of connecting & disconnecting lines together. But it's your own idea, make the effort to figure it out yourself.
and then hopefully a single on off for series parallel.

For 3 pickups??? Trust me, it doesn't work like that.

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I think this is what the OP is looking for. The work is from John Hewitt (@johnDH), who mostly hangs out at guitarnutz2.com.
I redrew it to make it slightly easier to comprehend (it's still a LOT)... In the process, I confirmed that it should work. I had doubts because I found this in a PG article, not direct from John. Anyway, it's complicated, but should do the job.

I only show one rotary, and I only had a 3 position (and 4 pole) handy in my stencils. You'd want one rotary for each tapped pickup, and the number of positions on it would equal the number of taps, plus one for the full coil. The other two would be added just like the first one. The rest of the circuit doesn't care about the taps, or the OOP orientation.

Parallel is pretty straightforward. Series will give your brain a workout.

EDIT to add: the series/parallel switch is global. In parallel, any active pickup is in parallel with other active pickups. In series, they're all connected end to end - except for the inactive ones. And yes, it works no matter which combination of pickups is active.

Good luck with it!

Screen Shot 2022-04-07 at 01.26.56 AM.png

Last edited:

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I would use three rotary coil tap switches, one four way series parallel Tele switch for two pickups, and then put the neck & middle on another two way mini switch so the four way selects bridge, mini switch, both in series, and both in parallel.
Then use the mini switch to connect neck or middle to the four way.
That four way Tele switch is a common option for two pickups and gets the series option you want.
All the slider switches are a nod to old clumsy systems, not an ideal up to date option and not quick to use while actually playing music.
IMO

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I think this is what the OP is looking for. The work is from John Hewitt, who is a member here, and hangs out at guitarnutz2.com.
I redrew it to make it slightly easier to comprehend (it's still a LOT)... In the process, I confirmed that it should work. I had doubts because I found this in a PG article, not direct from John. Anyway, it's complicated, but should do the job.

I only show one rotary, and I only had a 3 position (and 4 pole) handy in my stencils. You'd want one rotary for each tapped pickup, and the number of positions on it would equal the number of taps, plus one for the full coil. The other two would be added just like the first one. The rest of the circuit doesn't care about the taps, or the OOP orientation.

Parallel is pretty straightforward. Series will give your brain a workout.

EDIT to add: the series/parallel switch is global. In parallel, any active pickup is in parallel with other active pickups. In series, they're all connected end to end - except for the inactive ones. And yes, it works no matter which combination of pickups is active.

Good luck with it!

View attachment 970735
Works but requires ten switches?
I suggested a simple system using five switches.
Good to have options!

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Good to have options!
It's what the OP asked for. I have no use for it, but I don't judge.

And as for the sliders, yeah, agreed. But a DPDT is a DPDT. Mini-toggles work perfectly for this.

I was interested in the wiring and was gonna tackle it, but I googled first and found it had mostly been done.

I was again interested when I saw the author was @johnDH. He helped a very green Strat player to do his first wiring mod back in 2010. I was trying to make my only guitar do all the tones in the world. I've long since learned that lesson, but it was his complex wiring that I ended up using for a couple years, and it's what set me on this path. So, thanks, John!

Newbcaster

Tele-Holic
Good to have options!
You were also extremely helpful! It's helpful to have a diagram as a noob, hence newbcaster, like me who frankly isn't the brightest tool in the shed, or the sharpest for that matter, well i just need as much visual aid as i can get. When it comes to pickups i know precious little.... wiring them.. holy jesus what I don't know is like a supermassive black hole!!

Which is why I came here. I knew there would be several people who would help me.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
It's what the OP asked for. I have no use for it, but I don't judge.

And as for the sliders, yeah, agreed. But a DPDT is a DPDT. Mini-toggles work perfectly for this.

I was interested in the wiring and was gonna tackle it, but I googled first and found it had mostly been done.

I was again interested when I saw the author was @johnDH. He helped a very green Strat player to do his first wiring mod back in 2010. I was trying to make my only guitar do all the tones in the world. I've long since learned that lesson, but it was his complex wiring that I ended up using for a couple years, and it's what set me on this path. So, thanks, John!
Hmmm, is there a pedal that can make me not judge?
Something from the talent booster pedal line?

Im still fuming over the audacity of FMIC CS offering that abomination known as Double Esquire!

Uh oh, I approve of the old time anachronistic Esquire but not other anachronistic old time multi switch systems?
Hypocrisy!

Yeah making Strats do everything was my detour of shame that formed and informed my current preference for intuitive switching systems.
But Ive wired up many systems based around something like a main three way switch then smaller switches to connect options to the central switch.
The goal being to have several sounds accessed by flipping a single switch.

Of course I also now prefer a single pickup guitar so YMMV, but in general I’ve modded guitars for players enough that it seems like most end up preferring quick intuitive access to their sounds.

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
A triple tapped single coil yields four voices, not three. You'll need a pair of switches, or a rotary switch to select each voice separately. This can be done with push-pull volume and tone pots, or a pair of SPDT mini switches, or that rotary 5-way select switch. Assuming a single coil neck pickup is used, couple the output of that/those tapped pickup switch(es) to a 4-way pickup switch and you'll have series and parallel noiseless humbucking connections for all voices. Add a DPDT mini switch to the neck pickup to flip the leads for phasing reversal of all tapped pickup voice combinations with the neck pickup.
That avatar is working for you. I read your posts in a Frank Zappa voice in my head. It’s very convincing 😉

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
You were also extremely helpful! It's helpful to have a diagram as a noob, hence newbcaster, like me who frankly isn't the brightest tool in the shed, or the sharpest for that matter, well i just need as much visual aid as i can get. When it comes to pickups i know precious little.... wiring them.. holy jesus what I don't know is like a supermassive black hole!!

Which is why I came here. I knew there would be several people who would help me.
Right, a diagram may be needed if you can’t think in circuitry.

I bet though that if you separate functions, you can do more than you realize.

Like adding the multi tap switches, you can just put them in between the pickup and five way switch, knowing that whatever tap is selected, the main fiv3 way Strat switch doesn’t care, and only needs each pickup hooked to the usual lug.

Similarly, if you want quick access to series OR parallel, a Tele four way switch that does series and parallel can be your main switch, and you then make two of the three pickups be selected on a separate switch BEFORE connecting to say the neck pickup lug on the four way.

These sorts of options are common when wanting more options from three pickups, like players who want neck and bridge together put the middle on its own switch.

If all this is too much for the time being, of course you can follow the @johnDH diagram @moosie posted and add two more rotary tap switches.

If that feels like too much alteration of a diagram, again, just look at a connecting wire from pickup to switch, as something you cut and insert the tap switch.
Note that cramming it all into a guitar may also create problems!
But think in terms of the basic control, and add other controls in between pickup and switch.

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Right, a diagram may be needed if you can’t think in circuitry.

I bet though that if you separate functions, you can do more than you realize.

Like adding the multi tap switches, you can just put them in between the pickup and five way switch, knowing that whatever tap is selected, the main fiv3 way Strat switch doesn’t care, and only needs each pickup hooked to the usual lug.

Similarly, if you want quick access to series OR parallel, a Tele four way switch that does series and parallel can be your main switch, and you then make two of the three pickups be selected on a separate switch BEFORE connecting to say the neck pickup lug on the four way.

These sorts of options are common when wanting more options from three pickups, like players who want neck and bridge together put the middle on its own switch.

If all this is too much for the time being, of course you can follow the @johnDH diagram @moosie posted and add two more rotary tap switches.

If that feels like too much alteration of a diagram, again, just look at a connecting wire from pickup to switch, as something you cut and insert the tap switch.
Note that cramming it all into a guitar may also create problems!
But think in terms of the basic control, and add other controls in between pickup and switch.
That circuit (well, Brian May's) does one unique thing: all three in series.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
That circuit (well, Brian May's) does one unique thing: all three in series.
Yeah I was long ago looking for a Junk Burns to get the pickups out of just for that one sound but of course learned that there are other key ingredients including Brian!
Not sure, does the diagram you posted do all three in series?
Also not sure the OP wants that but interesting.
Part of what put me off building a rig for that pickup combo was all my less cumbersome arrangements plus a 624 sound Strat with four 11 wire coils!

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Not sure, does the diagram you posted do all three in series?
Also not sure the OP wants that but interesting.
It absolutely does. And it was my understanding the OP was trying to model and expand on Brian's setup, so that was a must have. Use it or not, it's part of the rig.

It also does any permutation. N/B series. N/M. M/B. N/M/B. Of course all the singles. And also all of those settings in parallel, which Brian's does not do.

Newbcaster

Tele-Holic
It absolutely does. And it was my understanding the OP was trying to model and expand on Brian's setup, so that was a must have. Use it or not, it's part of the rig.

It also does any permutation. N/B series. N/M. M/B. N/M/B. Of course all the singles. And also all of those settings in parallel, which Brian's does not do.

i think it may be hard to have 2 or 3 of the pickups on at the 20k or whatever, and really Brian only has 2 on in series at any gfiven time. mainly the bridge and middle. Id really only use the series function for voicings under like 10k or soemthing.

I just wanted a guitar that would do any genre and fairly exactly too. I love Queen. I love hair metal, and I LOVE Clapton's Journeyman and August Albums. So if this doesnt accomplish it...well Im well and truly bleeped then because it probably cannot be done lol. :)

Another reason why I wanted to wind a pickup with multiple taps was to kind of build an homage to tele home depot.(Another guitar, not the subject of this thread) Tele's for me just aren't versatile enough so I wanted one that would do what i want but also would do well here in AZ at local senior centers and such where they love both kinds of music, country and western. :)

I cant really be a part of THD and not own a functioning tele so....

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Another reason why I wanted to wind a pickup with multiple taps was to kind of build an homage to tele home depot.(Another guitar, not the subject of this thread) Tele's for me just aren't versatile enough so I wanted one that would do what i want but also would do well here in AZ at local senior centers and such where they love both kinds of music, country and western. :)

I cant really be a part of THD and not own a functioning tele so....
Wait, you call this thing a Tele?

😄😄😄

Just kidding...