Is this the original finish on this tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by silentactors, Mar 25, 2011.

1. silentactors

silentactors Tele-Meister

Hey guys - I was just hoping to get some opinions on whether or not this tele has has the original finish or not. I am indifferent either way, the guitar rocks and I love it. Of course, I would love for it to be original, but I am just not 100% sure.

Its a '75 Tele Custom. The biggest sign that makes me wonder is that it appears to have a black primer undercoat (see pictures) - and this has begun to show itself where are the wear marks are on the guitar, and in screw holes etc... But on top of it, appears to be the standard blonde/oly white type fender finish. I know most "blondes" have the wood grain showing through - this is not the case with this tele. The white is in all of the cavities and routes and looks right and very well done. Even has that "whiter" look where it wears down (before it reaches the black). So it appears to Blonde/White Primer/Then Black. Does this make sense or has anyone seen anything like this before?

When I put a black light to it, it also had me indecisive as it didn't glow as bright of a soup green as my other vintage guitars. However, underneath the pick guard it does glow just as bright.

I am curious if something like this could have happened at fender, where they spray a guitar black, then for whatever reason decide to put another color on top? I know I have seen black over sunburst finishes before etc...

When I got the guitar, I was "assured" that it was the original finish, that it was one owner from a family friend etc... and had never been messed with. But you know how that goes... and I bought it at a price and under the the assumption that it was not original. It is a players guitar for sure.

Thanks in advance for the opinions and let me know if you need any other info on the tele!

Here are the pictures:

https://picasaweb.google.com/100297253112237975701/BlondeTele?feat=directlink

price 004.jpg

price 003.jpg

price 001.jpg

2. silentactors

More pictures

price 005.jpg

price 006.jpg

price 001.jpg

3. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

It's hard to say for sure with a guitar that has been around since 1975...who knows what it has been through over the years.I know that in the 1960s,Fender would sometimes paint another color over a finished color because they couldn't always keep up with orders for a certain color.For example,you might see a fiesta red Strat with a sunburst underneath it revealing itself as the top red coat begins to wear.So maybe this still happened in the 1970s.Maybe the factory was out of white Tele bodies but had black ones already painted so maybe it was quicker to spray a white coat over the black body and ship it out rather than spend time sealing a new body,applying the primer,adding the coats of white ect which would take more time.

4. moodus2006

moodus2006 Tele-Meister

What does the UV light do?

5. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

I agree with Sonny about the factory "overpainting" finished bodies based on demand, but I'll add this.

According to a mid-70s Fender catalog I have the standard finish for a Custom was sunburst (with walnut, natural, blond and black custom finishes available). So, is it possible you're not seeing a black undercoat, but the very dark edges of a sunburst?

Just a thought :?:

6. krapyajleinad

krapyajleinad Former Member

Check to see if you can tell if the finish is "thick". Meaning if it is, your body probably has a messed up sunburst finish under the original finish.

7. 3 Chord

3 Chord Friend of Leo's

My blonde 76 regular tele has wear in that area. It shows wood and possibly whitish color in the wear spots. Not a hint of black.

Not the best pic, don't know if this helps.

[​IMG]

And some wear on the body top.

[​IMG]

8. deluxe5D3

deluxe5D3 Tele-Meister

Yes, Fender did quite ofter paint over a previous stock color, most likely due to demand for a certain color that year due to the "I saw 'insert favorite guitarist here' on T.V. with a white strat, and now I want one too" syndrome...

My '75 Strat started out as Olympic white (now a nice yellowed tint).. under the wear marks it looks like it was a "Mary Kay Gold" at birth..

9. silentactors

Awesome - thanks guys, just the input I was looking for, its very helpful.

I haven't thought about it being a bad sunburst, but that makes sense.

3-Chord - yes that is what a typical blonde tends to look like, that is not the case with this one. It does have the lighter white where it begins to where, but then a black underneath it.

Again - I do appreciate the input, I do feel a little more assured of the possibility this is original. Are there any "definitive" ways to know for sure? I wouldn't think so but just thought I would check.

Thanks again - this forum is great!

10. 3 Chord

3 Chord Friend of Leo's

Would looking in the neck pocket help?

Are there any color codes in the pocket or on the neck heel? Don't know, just thinking out loud.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.