Is this the first generation where mainstream music is more vanilla than the prior generation?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by deytookerjaabs, Aug 13, 2019.

1. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

I'm seeing points where many think they contradicted my original post, but they didn't because they missed the point.

Muzak, campy stuff, etc, has always been around and always will be. But for large parts of generations it was more or less common for the parents to loathe what their kids are listening to. Along with that, mainstream in my opinion is big enough to sell out large venues, festivals, get TV spots, late night shows, etc.

I'm not seeing that sentiment in the current generation where parents en masse find the kids music repulsive.

8 million posts of muzak from past and present isn't going to change the premise of my argument, it completely misses it. o_O

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

You are kidding me, right? How old are you?

3. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Afflicted

Now I feel like I should have kids just to tell them their taste is awful.

4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Your argument is only a small part of this larger discussion that we are having.

I do get that it's "your" thread and all...:)

magicfingers99 likes this.
  5. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

the future was a bargain too dear in my estimation.

blowtorch likes this.
  6. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

I KNOW!!!!!

WHERE IS MY RIGHT OF PASSAGE!!!!

the stuff they listen to, even on the fringes, I find to be thoroughly digestible.....:cry:

7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I'd trade all forms of rock music and a good share of our technological "progress" for yesterday's bright tomorrow

magicfingers99 likes this.
  8. magicfingers99

and yet the fault lies not with bing crosby...
    I pretty much feel the same about the Eagles, having never owned a single album, but having it played 24/7 for decades on the radio, I don't blame the Eagles. but I understand the feeling...

9. magicfingers99

please expound, perhaps I missed something, the music was loud, the dresses were short and my attention was otherwise occupied.

I love hidden messages, thats why I watched under the silver lake:

age? thats really just a number isn't it?

10. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

I'm not getting old; today's music really DOES suck!
    Especially rap & country.

11. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Maybe the music in the 60s was just my perspective. Growing up in the S.F. Bay Area, where rock was in full swing. I was facing the draft. How many songs were talking about that issue? I saw buildings being torched on a University campus - just across the street from my high School. How many songs were written about that? I was a involved in the civil rights movement. How many songs were about that. "Loud music and short dresses" were a fraction of what the message was ... at least to me. Yet, your point supports my original post here about the baby boomers not getting the message. Apparently, with all due respect and not to be mean here, but perhaps you might have been one of those people that did not get the message. Or maybe just a few of us philosophers dranked the Koop-Aid? You just might be part of the majority - I don't know. I am bewildered that the message was lost during the 80s. Maturity? Wiser? Nope, I believe it was hedonistic greed that grabbed the baby boomers. Of course, this is just my opinion. The message seemed clear as day and I suppose could have been summed up by Lennon's, "Imagine" or Hendrix's version of, "Star Spangled Banner".

12. magicfingers99

may points well taken, having seen many die on worthless hills, I think whatever wisdom or points that could be gleaned from most music was squandered. I think it was all a distraction to keep the huge number of youth who had the time and energy to change things distracted while the power structure was erected around them, caging them in a vast game of trivial pursuit. A world with perfect wallpaper, of utopian dreams and a wall to wall surviellance state and war machine on the other side of the wall paper.

but no one wants to hear that cause the Kardashians are on something somewhere doing something...

wisdom requires thought, most prefer distraction.

Obsessed likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.