Is this the first generation where mainstream music is more vanilla than the prior generation?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by deytookerjaabs, Aug 13, 2019 at 7:04 PM.

1. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

But when looked at these artist ,The Who, The Clash, and Hendrix, within the context of their time. The people were not popular main stream music but on the fringes. I think part of the situation is there is music that is created by musicians and groups that operate in a social sphere that gains a popular appeal and then there those groups/artists that are developed by or a product of the business.

2. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Meister

Exactly.

Flakey likes this.
  3. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

For years Hendrix was the largest Festival draw of his day. That's a fact. If you were a promoter you wanted Jimi on the ticket, period. He was huge with the youth and derided by their parents.

You might think a million kids at a festival is fringe obscure just cause their parents weren't there....but I don't. I consider that level of attention now part of the culture just like when I see young folks watching a young musician today at a huge festival I don't consider the act some out there fringe taste on their part.

4. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

5. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

America has been in a defensive crouch since the last recession. Our music is tame because young people are anxious.

ponce, Jerry_Mountains and beach bob like this.
  6. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

If your criteria is festival attendance you might be correct but it you look at sales, Billboard rankings, and other metrics that show listener ship during the era I think your example might not hold up.

7. deytookerjaabs

I think Hip/New/Different doesn't always relate to chart success. But hip/new/different often relates to immense popularity among the kids. Once it's popular enough for hundreds of thousands to millions to listen to, regardless of record sales, it becomes part of the culture at large. My idea of mainstream is popular enough to make it big among an audience and furthermore be recognized walking down the street. I.E..not Roland Kirk blowing flutes through his nose in some new york basement.

Lots of artists in that generation were just that, totally fresh/new/different but also caught fire. I imagine it was a pretty good time.

Flakey likes this.
  8. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

I think I know what you mean, and I agree - it does seem like a rite of passage to listen to music your parents can't stand. Someone may have already commented this, but these days though a lot of people's parents listened to punk music, rap music, metal and even dubstep, so maybe it's just harder to think of some new genre that is as heavy on the ears...

I wonder about disco. What did parents of the time have to say about disco? I don't know much about it, but most of it seems pretty "vanilla" maybe in a similar way to some of today's music (Pitbull, "Give Me Everything (Tonight)" 2011, Bruno Mars, "Uptown Funk" 2014). Come to think of it, I cringe a little bit every time I hear Bruno Mars. I hope my kids don't listen to that crap! :D

9. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

You crazy kids with your fish music can get off my lawn!

10. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

I can't help myself.

SolidSteak likes this.
  11. deytookerjaabs

I had this composition professor in school who used to INSIST that when he was a kid and first heard The Beatles, the early "I wanna hold your hand" Beatles, that nothing sounded like them. And, his own Beatle Mania caused controversy with his parents.

I mean, to fathom that is so hard. These upbeat poppy melodic tunes being....edgy? I believed him but damn, it just shows how seemingly fresh or how wide the generation gap might have been.

There was an old Jazz Documentary I saw years back, I think it was Art Blakey's group and some others in the early 60's. They asked a few of the guys about The Beatles and the reactions were hilarious. "The Beatles are brainwashing, that's a gimmick, they don't speak truth, they were just made up to make money..."

Reminds me of this gem:

12. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Meister

I think this is very true for a lot of current pop music. If there's a culprit I suspect it's been the injection of mainstream EDM, the majority of which is very simplistic melodically and and rhythmically. It really stands out when you compare some current pop music to something from ABBA, for example, which is relatively sophisticated musically.

That said, there's a lot of good new music out there, even on the pop charts. I agree with the other poster about Billie Eilish, who I've been listening to a lot the last year via my 11 year old daughter. She's still roughly working within the current pop music lines, but is doing so in a very creative and interesting way.

Last point is that a lot of the most interesting "mainstream" releases over the past decade have come from the r&b and hip hop genres. I'm an indie rock guy, and am as guilty as anyone in not paying enough attention to these genres, but I think mainstream r&b has been at real creative peak the last 5-10 years. I 'm thinking especially of female artists like Janelle Monae, Beyonce, Solange, and Lizzo.

LeicaBoss likes this.
  13. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Afflicted

what have you got against Vanilla, its a classic flavor, no way would I compare the dross being played today by so many to Vanilla.

Vanilla has many positive qualities. I'd compare the music to white noise.

https://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/audioJammerNoiseGenerator.php

also good for talking about wet work with your handler without Alexa listening in..

14. magicfingers99

yes, yes it is son...

hemingway likes this.
  15. magicfingers99

the 60's rock like the 50's jazz has no clear message than to just entertain, if you saw more than that in the music you were likely misled. The children of today are as brainwashed as their elders, and music is merely a tool to sell you a lifestyle.

we are dealing with people who literally would rather die than get off their phone. I feel like I'm living in Italy, I can't drive without using my horn cause nobody is watching the traffic lights, they're too busy updating their facebook and texting.

3 kids have died in atlanta in the last month for riding e-scooters at night in without lights and reflective gear, now they've banned them at night. were dealing with people who can't even think about basic safety. you're telling me they are so priescent they understand their own culture and music and lives?

so yeah music has gotten very very diminshed in quality and form in the mainstream media. There is some very good music being produced by people that are intererested in music and not the music business. you really have to work to ferret it out. but its out there.
    you ain't gonna hear on the radio, unless you are lucky enough to have a decent college radio station nearby. Spotify? ha ha ha ha ha...drowning you in your own reflection... they will bludgeon you with your favorites until the bruises ensure they're favorites no more.

Music has not always been ubiqutous, the modern age shows the fallacy of allowing curators to fence you in, especially curators with a motive not likely to align to your own.

16. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

My daughter, who is eleven, and all of her friends around the same age are huge fans of video game music. Not songs about video games, but the actual incidental stuff from within the game. As well, they also really love a lot of this amateur music found on YouTube. Not that amateur is synonymous with bad, but in this case it is. It frequently is performed badly, by people who sing and/or play very poorly. At this point vanilla might be preferable. Maybe.

17. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

You did not have to suffer through the Bobby Vinton, Dion, Frankie Avalon, Paul Anka, Chubby Checker, Freddy Cannon, Neil Sedaka, Bobby Rydell etc. early '60s post real rock n' roll era. Then the British Invasion happened.

ponce likes this.
  18. ScubaGeek

ScubaGeek Tele-Meister

I was 20 years old in 1993, and you can't imagine how bored I was with all that "alternative" stuff that took the place of glam metal in the mainstream market. Yeah, I get it, the glam metal stuff had gone astray, and it was "time for something new", but "Grunge", all those British bands (the "Madchester" stuff and so forth) and everything else didn't strike me as much of an improvement.

So I don't think it's "you're old", unless you're suggesting it's possible for a 20 year old to be "an old man". I think it's just that whatever it is one is looking for in music, it's not in the mainstream anymore, and as far as I'm concerned, has been for over 25 years.

19. ScubaGeek

ScubaGeek Tele-Meister

Wait a minute, what happened to The Ventures, The Surfaris, The Beach Boys, The Astronauts, Duane Eddy, Link Wray, The Bobby Fuller Four, and all the rest of the "twangy guitar" music from the early 60's?

20. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Rick Beato wa discussing this recently. I IV V vi is the main progression today.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.