Is this the first generation where mainstream music is more vanilla than the prior generation?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by deytookerjaabs, Aug 13, 2019.

1. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Insanely big hit in 1967

At age 13 inescapable in 1968

So , no, not really.

Not even the first time that decade/

Truly it's a constant struggle.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    Flakey likes this.
  2. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Oh, I meant stuff my daughter WILL be listening to! My friends mostly have older kids from pre-teens to in some cases full blown teens. Just youtube with cookies deleted new music related videos with lots of views. So many beyond the obvious in hip hop & pop, Mac Demarco, 91' Thompson, Ghostemane, Tame Impala, lots more...

Yeah, if you can fill festivals, big venues, get on SNL, late night or some sort of TV spot, etc..you're not exactly obscure any more. You're mainstream enough to make serious dough at least. I think lots of guys have a chip on their shoulder because they don't listen to "mainstream" stuff like Madonna or The Eagles or whatever, that was not my point. My point was related to the general variations of stuff the kids are listening to and how the parents are cool with it. In the 90's, most anything I listened to that was "new" and selling enough to get on air my folks wanted nothing to do with. They were okay when I was listening to Zeppelin or Pink Floyd though.

3. deytookerjaabs

Yeah, I said it above...but how about "not obscure" or popular enough to make a ton of money and perform in bigger venues. I don't think you're exactly fringe/underground once you can afford a Porsche with a mansion from selling tickets/videos/music.

4. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Do you mean that they just didn't like the style, or was it that they found it offensive, "corrupting of the youths," immoral...

Kind of a tangent: I remember my Mom overhearing a Nine Inch Nails song I was listening to back then, "Piggy," and she launched into some tirade about "Yeah, I know what that's about, it's about hating the police, right? Pigs? You shouldn't listen to that." Which was hilarious, because now, as far as I can tell, the song was about guitarist Richard Patrick (nicknamed "Piggy") leaving the band! But I am 100% certain my Mom saw some cable news piece on Parental Advisory labels, "It's 10:00. Do you know what your kids are listening to?" type of thing, and that made up her mind :D

So maybe that's another factor in what shapes music's "vanillaness/rebelliousness," the record industry, reporting, and whether or not the idea of "public decency" is trending enough to make "Public Enemy" trending.

5. deytookerjaabs

Yeah, I'm not talking about shock value stuff or simply those who protest music on moral grounds. There will always be uber pop and campy hit music in any generation. I'm talking about a general repulsion for what the kids are listening to beyond Disney Records. The line from Madonna to Lady Gaga or from The Monkees to Hanson is direct. Pointing out that they exist doesn't change anything, they will always exist.

The young/newish rock acts, rappers, electronic stuff, country stuff etc that fill venues full of younger kids I find most millennials are not triggered by at all and in many cases they actively listen to! Whereas, for many of us, what we listened to in our youth was genuinely detested by our parents if/when they weren't triggered...which goes back generations. Even if you stripped away the words/singers, the pulse, pocket & make up of the music was usually different enough for the older generation to dislike it.

6. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

Try some Cardi B!!!

7. deytookerjaabs

I'm fine with Cardi B. ?? I don't listen to her every day or am some fan but what she does she does well. She conveys attitude, sass, arrogance, that's her job and a big part of the genre.

That's the problem! And lots of people I know who are my age dig Cardi B too, especially the Moms. The ones who don't never liked Missy Elliot or SaltNPepa or Lauryn Hill or female rap in general. But, of the ones who were okay with rap Cardi B is generally accepted as far as I can tell.

8. tubedood

tubedood Tele-Meister

What on earth is vanilla about the Jonas Brothers or Selena Gomez? My daughter liked them! (Oh yea right up till she heard Rush and never wanted me to kid her again about those two).

Georox likes this.
  9. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Here we go again, old fart doesn’t like young people’s music.
    Try something new, please

10. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

What the pop industry says is mainstream and chart worthy and what kids actually listen to, does not match up ime.

My kids and plenty of others like a stack of stuff. They introduced me to Royal Blood who, like Muse before, pushed the rock idiom with fx and tone warping stuff. They also like a lot of parody music stuff from YouTube taking the pi** out of all the BS. Kids are are still pretty cool and aware.

We get teens singing all the old tunes we play like Blondie and the Pretenders. I assume they are all sharing their music collections on their devices with their parents or hearing classic tunes in movies. Mine are.

11. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The majority of younger people just listen to what they are presented with on YouTube, through TV, facebook etc. The industry dictates the current trends in main stream music not the people. If the performers look edgy enough and wear a new fashion item, drive a cool car etc then that's enough to make them popular with the majority of todays youth. It also helps if they pick a cause to speak out about, it doesn't have to be real or current. Anything will do as long as it is in line with the industries current agenda and money can be generated from it.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    Flakey and RetroTeleRod like this.
  12. deytookerjaabs

I don't know you personally or if English is your first language etc...but you missed the point completely and it's a pretty simple point at that. I think a lot of the new stuff is just dandy for what it is. The point was that much of my generation actively enjoys and/or is not in any way repulsed or against the music of today's youth. Not just the pop stuff, practically all of it. In general (there's always exceptions and old fart snarky pseudo contrarians with one off examples) I find this to be very different from what many youth in past generations went through with their listening collections.

Georox likes this.
  13. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Well I guess if parents actually like the music their kids like, maybe that's a good thing? Should we encourage younger people to make more repulsive music? Maybe we can come up with a list of recommendations based on things we don't want to listen to? What would go on that list I wonder... "too loud" is a classic complaint, maybe along with foul language, cookie monster vocals, sloppy playing - except those aren't really things that bother me. My list would have things like "too much autotune," "trite, cliche lyrics," "no recognizable rhythm." I can think of exceptions to all of those, but generally that's not what I like to hear in music.

My Dad used to call Primus "That trash can music." (Thinking of Mr. Krinkle and Wounded Knee off Pork Soda specifically.) I think it was because he thought it sounded like someone playing trash cans though, and not that he was indicating that it repulsed him. Just another anecdote.

14. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Holic

15. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Just from an analytic standpoint, "mainstream" or popular music has declined in complexity (at least harmonically and rhythmically) for quite some time.

It'll have to rebound at some point, unless all popular music is reduced to repeated monosyllabic sounds.

Flakey and Lawdawg like this.
  16. deytookerjaabs

Should we be repulsed? Good question.

I don't know? You look at the big picture, even in different sub-cultures of my peers, whether it was the attitudes or the sonics or the rhythms/feel the goal posts in the whole package was usually moved far enough for the "new" kids music to be foreign enough to cause derision in many of our parents. I think you could make the argument that in some sense that is a good thing even if you despise the new music??

Wagging your finger at "that garbage little Billy listen's to" then talking to the other parents about how kids "don't know what good music is" etc etc was like a right of passage as far as I can tell. I heard those conversations all the time.

When I was in music school I'd give lessons to guys twice my age and teach them tons of 70's rock tunes/solos etc. There were always snarky comments about how bad the new stuff was.

I remember, somewhere, watching a nightly news clip of Jimi Hendrix death back when it happened. The older anchor was basically happy that this gimmicky no talent drug spreading fella was gone while he sugar coated his message just a bit. I remember my step dad laughing at "that idiot finally did it" when the news hit about Kurt Cobain committing suicide. That's hate, like, actively hating. Primus? lol, the reaction in my house was worse than trash can comments!

Yeah, when many of my friends with kids or myself listen to the new stuff it doesn't feel foreign or different enough to be repulsed by...? There's no finger wagging etc. Now, if you didn't like Britney Spears or prior teen pop Divas you're probably not going to like the 2020 version of Britney Spears but that kind of goes without saying as I don't think that relates to a generation gap. But, if I was born in 2002, the stuff I'd be listening to today doesn't repulse me at more than double that age.

SolidSteak likes this.
  17. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

"Baby Shark" blew my mind.

SolidSteak and Flakey like this.
  18. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

I don't need shocking music. Just some good interesting music.

SolidSteak likes this.
  19. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I listen to this rock/metal show on this station, and it's a station that plays current hits normally. I sometimes don't switch the station immediately, and I don't find the music that bad.

It's kind of like the music from the Gifted TV show. It's much better than 80s synth pop or glam metal. They actually play some crappy glam metal sometimes on that show I listen to, some songs are so bad I have to change the station. I don't hate all 80s synth pop and glam metal, but a lot of it. 80s pop has to be the worst music ever conceived, with exceptions of course.

20. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Afflicted

It doesn’t have to be edgy or extreme to be repulsive to me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.