Is this the first generation where mainstream music is more vanilla than the prior generation?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by deytookerjaabs, Aug 13, 2019.

1. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Been thinkin' on it. My folks didn't like the then-recent stuff I listened to coming up in the 90's whether it was Primus or WuTang or Slayer or whatever (plus they really hated when I got into Jazz, lol).

Their parents hated the then-new classic rock & disco when they were coming up, after all, they were folks of the great big band generation.

And, of course, back to the great grand-folk who felt if you listened to music you studied composers, period. I still have Grandma's back log of those non-vinyl classical records that were bought for her when she was a child.

But, today, I listen to stuff my daughter will be getting into and I'm like..."Is that it?" **** so vanilla it could be sugar free. The rap isn't any edgier, the rock is crack smoke worthy, the electronic stuff is meh, the country music is almost funny in how hard it tries, etc. In fact, I think a lot of the music is just fine & dandy, if not...hmmm..."Safe?"

I have theories on why this might be, but they're just theories. But, damn, I've been waiting for my chance to hate on my children's stuff and feel old...it's not supposed to be like this!!!

Wildcard_35, Telecaster88 and dkmw like this.
  2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Consider the possibility that you're just old, nonetheless.
    You're unimpressed by music that was never meant for you
    I personally can always seem to find some mainstream music of the moment that I like. So I must still be hip and with it :)
    Just one example

Sure it's stupid, So what?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    Wildcard_35, slauson slim and Lawdawg like this.
  3. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

About 7 years ago, when my son was 5 or 6, he said to me in all seriousness: "daddy, is pop music all just one song?"

4. deytookerjaabs

My premise isn't just about being impressed, it's about there being basically zero discord in the age gap and I even have friends with early teens/pre-teens who go to the same shows with junior.

5. blowtorch

But, you are showing discord with your original post, are you not.
    With all the "not edgy, saccharine sweet"
    You want more danger it seems?
    I can dig that

But, there's always been tons of "safe"pop, from how much is that doggie in the window to there might be giants to whatever the heck is big today

Modman68 likes this.
  6. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Vanilla may not be enough, it’s just so boring boring boring.

But I also gotta kind of agree with BT, there are pockets of good stuff.

bender66 and Georox like this.
  7. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

i bury myself in original music..am alive X amount of years..& def going to play it vs consuming it, can go 3 -4 months without hearing music..nothing to complain about..criticize-make fun of...also respect anybody who has the gutz to strap up & stand behind their art

lets hear your offering to the world

8. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

No. 70s "rock" music was some of the most milquetoast crap ever produced, and it followed the two brilliant and decades of music that made up the birth and intense adolescence of rock-n-roll. Rock hasn't got any "edgier" since IMO, though we had a brief reprieve with some of the "OK" mainstream grunge stuff that made it on to regular radio in the '90s, and a very brief reprieve from a handful of punk rock and post pu. Sorry, but to my musical sensibilities, things have been getting less and less "heavy" ever since rock-n-roll became a huge business sometime in the late '60s to early '70s. It's not a new thing.

Telecaster88, Obsessed and blowtorch like this.
  9. deytookerjaabs

By not edgy...I'm implying I don't feel any repulsion or reason for actual discord.

This would be very very different from my personal experiences with the generation gaps between myself, my parents, their parents, etc.

I'm not sure if you're being a contrarian for the sake of contrarian or if my point was poorly worded.

10. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Music went generic in the 80s. It splintered and turned into different shades of vanilla.

I guess every generation thinks the following one is lousy.

Obsessed likes this.
  11. deytookerjaabs

So, your point is that the dust bowlers enjoyed listening to "Boston" or "The Sex Pistols" or "ABBA" or whatever when their kids were coming up?

....???

12. blowtorch

well i rarely miss the chance to be contrarian if I can do it earnestly and sincerely, but I'm thinking maybe I'm not quite getting your point here

but maybe this speaks somewhat towards it; rock rap electronica and everything else has been around a long time now, so maybe it's lost it's power to shock mom and dad

Wildcard_35, Flakey and W.L.Weller like this.
  13. Muinarc

Muinarc Tele-Meister

To the original question: "Is this the first generation where mainstream music is more vanilla than the prior generation? "......

..... I feel the '40's and 50's falls right into this. So much so that nobody remembers most of the "mainstream" music from these decades anymore. I'm talking all the Hawaiian stuff and the Les Paul Marry Ford sounding songs. Rock and Blues were there but still fringe genres. Jazz was on the way down from the highs in the 20's.

micpoc likes this.
  14. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

I've never really taken any notice of mainstream music, my taste has always been on left field side. I like indie alternative, alternative rock music. The most mainstream I probably get is The Clash, Hendrix and The Who. The rest I can live without. As for chart stuff, I don't even listen as it's the same beat, same singer, same song, same bleurgh......

15. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yeah, the point of the post is more about the comparison in “vanillaness” than whether old music is better than today.

I can personally attest to my son’s taste versus mine. But then in addition to the extremely mundane pop music, he’ll listen to some nasty rap too. I want to play one of my old Body Count for him - but then I think better of it:eek:

Jackroadkill likes this.
  16. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

The culture has changed; music doesn't occupy the same space - or anywhere near the same importance - that it used to. Video games are much more immersive and visceral than the music we loved.

Grandy, BorderRadio, Modman68 and 2 others like this.
  17. blowtorch

"more vanilla" is possibly just the perspective of having pretty much heard it all before

Grandy likes this.
  18. deytookerjaabs

Imagine growing up in the Big Band era and when the 70's comes around your teenagers just listen to, say, Tom Jones & Neil Diamond.

Whereas, that's not how it went down for most families. My grandparents were actively repulsed by my parents taste in music, mine actively repulsed by my taste in music.....to the point of in some specific instances trying to prevent the acquisition of said music.

That's the scope I'm coming from. I'm not actively repulsed by what's coming out today...at all and neither are most of my friends with kids of their own. I understand there will be some exceptions in some families due to certain specific preferences, but, in general, there isn't a divide like many of us had with our parents, and our parents with their parents, etc.

19. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

The Sex Pistols were not mainstream rock, firstly. And they pissed of plenty of hippies too. They were an exception, not a norm. They might have had huge hits, but they were by no means a mainstream band. Within the punk genre, sure; they were very mainstream. But not within the wider rock genre.

And your generational timing is a bit off. "Dust bowlers" would have given birth to the first rock-n-roll generations, who made their music in the '50s. And hell yes, THAT music pissed them off.

But that said, yes, you can bet your ass that '60s mainstream rock was probably more palatable to them, and '70s mainstream rock much more so.

Much of what you are probably thinking of as "edgy" rock in the '60s and '70s was not, in fact, mainstream rock. Mainstream rock in the '70s was, basically, AM rock.

Everything gets "vanilla" once people finally start figuring out how to give it mass market appeal and make a crap-ton of money off of it. It didn't take long for that to happen.

And never forget that the main thing the older generations had against rock when it first came to was that it was basically black music being marketed to white kids. As that blackness became diluted and minimized over the years, and the songs started sounding whiter, "rock" became far more acceptable to "normal" people.

And by the way, the people who grew up listening to old jazz and swing encountered the same racially motivated resistance from their parents. That **** was considered the devil's music by many as well.

"Take It Easy," man.

20. deytookerjaabs

Huh, I know my grandparents grew up in the depression, born in the 20's and their children were baby boomers who listened to 70's music. Doesn't seem that far off.

I'm guessing most here on TDPRI don't need the difference between Sex Pistols and ABBA explained to them. The point was that the prior generation was generally repulsed by their children's music....in either instance whether it fits one's personal definition of edgy or not that's not the over-arching point, which you're obfuscating.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.