1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is this the best way to work with Amp Modelers?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by KrenarCilku, Feb 17, 2021.

1. KrenarCilku

KrenarCilku Tele-Meister

Ever since I borrowed the HX Stomp, this has been a video that I've wanted to put out there.
    Keep in mind, these are my thoughts and my opinions and as we all know, things like this are and they're always gonna be subjective but I really think you guys might find some value in this video!

I'm not a fan of compressors at the end of the chain, please don't be offended if you are.
    Preset from this video: https://line6.com/customtone/tone/5340399/

2. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

Nice video, well done. I'm not familiar with the helix, but much of what you talk about is certainly relevant to the Kemper. It makes a huge difference where you place your effects. Also, if you reduce the gain, the models or profiles tend to sound more dynamic than when set with high gain. Tube amps are the same way though because you reduce compression when you reduce gain and the amp will become more dynamic.

Here is clip from Pete Thorn where he talks about placing a delay in front of a heavily distorted Plexi to get a specific tone and delay used by Eddie VH in Ain't Talkin bout Love. It is interesting because he talks a lot about amp compression and the effect that has on effects being placed in front of the amp. I think a comprehensive discussion of compression in modelers, and how and where in the modelers framework it is introduced and increased or decreased would go right along with your first installment. Anyway, I thought this might complement your video above since he is using both an HX stomp and a Kemper.

Pete Thorn's Tone Secrets #1 "ECHO INTO DISTORTION" - YouTube

KrenarCilku likes this.
  3. KrenarCilku

KrenarCilku Tele-Meister

Thanks man, I appreciate it! Exactly, the beauty of amp modelling and products like the Helix is that you can experiment and do whatever you want with just a couple of clicks which is very cool but in order to get familiar tones that people get from plugging into their amp, the things that I mentioned on my video should be taken into consideration.. oh btw, Pete Thorn is a freaking legend! cheers!

CapnCrunch likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.