1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is this Telecaster Real?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Nafees, Jun 19, 2017.

1. callasabra

callasabra Tele-Afflicted

If it played nice I would get it for a cheap nickel and sand off the fender decal.

2. Rufustelestrats

Rufustelestrats Tele-Holic

A real piece of C***

3. Oakville Dave

Oakville Dave Friend of Leo's

Fake.

4. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

There are so many great deals on real Teles or CV Squires so unless the price is so silly that all the upgrades you'll have to do won't hurt you then there you go...............

Best of luck
    Gary

5. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

In 1994 I bought a used Used Strat from a brick and mortar store owned by a knowledgeable guy with a good reputation. Beautiful semi-transparent blue body, maple neck, '84 markings, all the correct pieces, looked, played and sounded excellent, $400 out the door. I was happy. Then, one day, ten years later, I had occasion to remove the neck and discovered a DiMarzio stamp in the neck pocket. I pretty much won't buy a used guitar unless I have known her since childhood.

6. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Tele-Holic

I really like that “Telecaster” is in quotes for some reason. It implies a certain sense of irony on the part of the forger.

“Oh, yeah, it’s totally a real ‘Telecaster,’” he says, placing air quotes around the word.

Until i joined this site, I had no idea how common these knock-off guitars are. It’s great how willing everyone here is to share heir knowledge and help prevent people from getting taken advantage of.

Minimalist518 likes this.
  7. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

But what's the problem? You paid over the odds but the guitar didn't change the moment you took off the neck did it? Beautiful looking, great player, good sound? If the dog sold to you as pedigree turned out to be a cross ten years down the line, would you turn it onto the street? 'Course not!

Minimalist518 and ricardo1912 like this.
  8. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

I chimed in earlier because in real life, one of my jobs is editing copy and I so often encounter punctuation errors
    (such as Class of "77") and the quotation marks around TELECASTER drew my attention.

If I somehow manage to keep somebody from being taken advantage of, I feel good about that, so thanks!

9. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

If it plays well, offer $10.

mnutz likes this.
  10. derrellgore

derrellgore TDPRI Member

I don't think anyone mentioned this but the strings are not thru the body.

rich815 and mnutz like this.
  11. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

Nope. Got my $400 worth and then gave it to a friend who needed a good guitar. My point is that you just never know.

Minimalist518 likes this.
  12. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Tele-Holic

So what’s protocol when you spot a fake like this on Craigslist? Do you contact the seller? Do you create your own post warning others that it’s a fake?

13. Rufustelestrats

Rufustelestrats Tele-Holic

You go to the sellers house with the police, you have them confiscate all the counterfeit items, pile them up in the yard and use a wood chipper, then set the resulting chips on fire using gasoline and a railroad flare. Then take the ashes and spread them to the ends of the earth so it cannot reassemble itself.
    R

Or you could just move on.

Jay Jernigan and boris bubbanov like this.
  14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Uh.

When something falsely tries to be a Fender Telecaster but is not a Fender, and not even a Squier, as far as I am concerned it exists in an evil, parallel universe. I wouldn't pick it up off the Interstate - I'd love to see it smashed by the passing traffic.

We get into the loose habit of calling all T types "telecasters" and that's harmless. I mean, I can't change the whole world. If everyone else would stop calling their T types from other sources "Telecasters" I would embrace that 100%.

15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

If I could tinker with what Gary is saying just a little bit.........

Prices are so reasonable for many real Fenders, many of the models under the Squier heading are really decent instruments or can be made nice, even down to some of these Squier Affinity Specials, there's just no reason or justification for even considering to buy a counterfeit. There's no upside - the real thing is plentiful and basically cheap in historical terms and the build quality and net quality are why we call this the "Golden Age" of the electric guitar.

16. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

66 Tele

Note the "Telecaster"

[​IMG]

A new American Vintage 64 from Fender's site

Note the "Telecaster"

[​IMG]

Doesn't mean that thing in the OP isn't fake though.

SweetClyde99 likes this.
  17. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Tele-Holic

Crazy. I’ve only owned a couple of teles and they didn’t have the quotes, but some quick googling turns up quite a few models with the quotes—though I couldn’t find any strats with the quotes.

Anyway. Thanks. I “learned” something today.

18. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Tele-Holic

Of course you could just move on, but it would be a shame to do nothing and see someone else get scammed because they don’t have the benefit of running their purchases through this site before forking over their cash.

19. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

in this case the "" marks don't matter too many other things screams fake on this guitar. I'm sure the op has moved on himself by now anyway it has been 6 months.

20. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

hinky

I know it's months too late; I just like to say "hinky" when I get the chance.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.