1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is this Telecaster fake??? Please help!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by alexlpak, Jun 5, 2016.

1. 1hoofer

1hoofer Tele-Meister

Thanks for that, you have saved me the trouble of responding to that post! My sentiments entirely.
    Just off to the shed to build a M5 BMW.....

2. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

I do understand Boris' point to some extent but I think it only applies to rare models where specs are difficult to obtain. An example would be an 1983 bowling ball strat that has odd specs, knock offs of unusual guitars are very uncommon though. The bulk of them are usually too busy failing to copy the standard models haha.

1hoofer likes this.
  3. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Heck, Fender can supply those without any help from fakers. :rolleyes:

4. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Maybe in the 70s and back then the lawsuit guitars really were good (other than the bad eletronics) haha but I haven't seen a bad modern fender or high end squier before. I even don't mind the electronics in the squiers, all the pots read within plus or minus 10k ohms of there stated value in my tele. I did 'upgrade' to CTS but the torque resistance was all over the place and my latest esquire mod involve putting a 9v battery in it and with the mini alpha pots (originally installed) I was able to fit it in the control cavity underneath them (not possible with full size).

beagle likes this.
  5. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

I think it would be an interesting challenge to set myself, see how closely I can replicate a real MIA standard tele for as little money possible. For personal use of course and I may have to avoid sharing my methods with you (obviously we shouldn't be promoting this kind of behaviour). I'd also probably skip the decal part unless I ended up buying a MIA neck which would already come with the decals applied and I wouldn't sand the headstock down just to refinish it.

(this won't happen really I have no money :p)

6. old guitar player

old guitar player Tele-Afflicted

Yes it's a Telecaster but is it a Fender?

No.

That being said, other guitar companies have been making Les Paul, Telecaster and Strat copies for 50 years with their own brand label. In some cases the other brands have built a superior made guitar than the ones they have copied. In other cases not so much. It's when someone tries to pass off a copy as a legitimate real one is the problem.

My only electric guitar is a well made Telecaster copy by a Korean company called Vantek but there is no way it could ever be mistaken for the real thing. I for one am glad this site exists to help people discern the difference when someone tries to sell a fake.

7. Stone_Cutter

Stone_Cutter TDPRI Member

Why not? Lots of people to ask, and there is a lot of Telecaster knowledge here.

8. alexlpak

alexlpak TDPRI Member

Hey, everyone! Just thought I would update everyone with how it went. I GOT THE GUITAR and man is it phenomenal. If you know anything about the Baja Series, you already know about this guitar, so I'll just leave the rest to say about this guitar from the pictures I took. Let me know what you think! :)

Attached Files:

goonie and PeterUK like this.
  9. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Congrats! Looks sweet!

alexlpak likes this.
  10. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Nice, congrats!!

alexlpak likes this.
  11. Thin69

Thin69 Friend of Leo's

Oh yeah! Just beautiful!

alexlpak likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.