Is this Tele original spec?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Battle Axe, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Battle Axe

Battle Axe NEW MEMBER!

I'm thinking of buying a 2005 American series, but I'm a bit puzzled. Looks like the neck has the metal disc for the micro tilt, but not the body. Is this how they came from the factory??? Is it meant to have a white scratch plate? I don't know the full serial number, I only know that it starts with Z5. I haven't owned a guitar since I was 16, so I'm a bit out of touch.

tele1.jpg tele2.jpg tele3.jpg tele4.jpg tele5.jpg

2. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Afflicted

This may not be much help, but Fender did add the tilt adjustment in this era. It's not the 3 bolt micro-tilt of the 70's/early 60's but works similar with a 4 bolt neck. Maybe this was built during the transition and the body didn't have the adjustment hole in it.

The stickers with numbers and bar codes might tell a different story, but I don't know.

3. wowazeplin

wowazeplin TDPRI Member

I think you are looking at the metal barrel nut the truss rod screws into, and on this style of neck truss rod adjustment is up at the headstock.

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Welcome, Battle Axe!

Very cool TDPRI name, by the way.

That's not an American Series. That's a Highway One. This is the early form of Highway One, with the medium sized fretwire and spaghetti headstock script and a less durable form of furniture lacquer body coating.

By the way this is not a Texas Tele Highway One. That's a separate model. What you have has the alder body and the 9.5 inch fretboard radius and a somewhat overwound version of the same basic pickup that FMIC uses in a couple of MIM models.

What this guitar won't have is a glossy poly body finish, won't have quite as much attention paid to the fret crowning and polishing (the ends may be less relieved), has a very basic truss rod (not the dual action one) and doesn't have the Tilt function that an American Series would have. Also, the tuning machines are the same ones used on MIM Standards (notice the posts are all the same height).

In other words, you did very well. These pickups can be used (the later ones are ultra-overwound and hard to tolerate) and I much prefer this size fretwire over the HUGE stuff on later alder Highways.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    Keivil, Jimmy Owen and TeleTown like this.
  5. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Boris posted while I was typing! I agree; you're looking at a 2005 Highway 1 Tele - the first generation Highway 1s had the same headstock decal as the American Series of that year. The Highway 1 series was revised in the middle of 2006 and went to the 70s-style headstock decal at that time.

This is correct; that the barrel at the end of the truss rod. On necks with the 4-bolt micro-tilt the disc is much larger.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The images posted are not perfect for what I need. But I did want to say, there's an outside chance that this is a "Mule" that already has the larger fretwire. From here the fretwire could I guess be either size. Some turned out like that. I have a "Mule" Highway of this era and it has some old features and some "upgrade" features. TDPRI has seen a lot with various mixtures of features.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.