(Is this strange)Tele neck pocket?

Son_of_tele89

NEW MEMBER!
My father bought a fender telecaster MIM years ago from a close friend who owned a music shop (therefore he could get my dad/his friend a great deal @ cost)
Today my dad showed me this picture he took of the neck pocket when he was doing some maintenance. He said he's never seen this before in any other tele body designs and figures it can't be doing any good for the sound/tone ect.. since there's less contact between the neck and body.
My dad was born in '54 and has been playing since he was a teen.
Anyways, here's a picture of his MIM Tele showing the strange neck slot shape/design?
Any information, thoughts and opinions on what's going on here would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks for taking the time to read, and thanks for any help!
IMG_1245.jpg

Below is a clip of him playing live before I was born 😋

Last edited:

jfgesquire

Friend of Leo's
I believe it's because the router bits were too large to do those tiny radius inside corners. Less expensive this way. But I'm not 100% certain.

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
Perfectly normal.
Chunky router bits last longer than skinny ones, but they can't make a tight corner, so the chunker runs 'deeper' into the pocket to compensate.
No real downsides as far as the player is concerned. The neck is screwed to the floor of the pocket, with the advantages of longer bit life and less downtime for tooling swaps for the manufacturer.
HTH

Twang Tone

Friend of Leo's
Yep, normal for a Standard MIM. Also anyone who's ever bought a Squier Classic Vibe and taken the pickguard off will have seen this, too.

Little Red Tele

Tele-Meister
any given year of a fender is going to have some bizarre manufacturing quirk. One year mickey mouse ears. swimming pool routs for a few years. another year, a random nickel-sized circle routed under the pickguard. numbers impressed into the neck pocket. fuzzy worm routs. It's endlessly fascinating.