Is this red plating ?

ruger9

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
My amp has a little static sound recently. It's a Bad Cat Hot Cat, it's cathode bias, and I believe Bad Cat runs these EL34s pretty hot...

Wondering if this is red plating (only the one EL34 is doing it), and if that's likely the cause of the noise? I realize I could just start pulling tubes, but on this amp it's a PITA to start swapping preamp tubes...

I have another set of EL34s I could just pop in, I'm just wondering if this IS actually red plating, maybe I'll learn something today LOL.

a.jpg

ruger9

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
So... does this happen when the tube is nearing end-life? It's a cathode-biased amp, so there are no bias adjustments to be made, right? I just plug in a new set of EL34s and I'm good to go? And maybe (just a guess) always buy "matched pairs" of EL34s to avoid this in the future?

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
So... does this happen when the tube is nearing end-life? It's a cathode-biased amp, so there are no bias adjustments to be made, right? I just plug in a new set of EL34s and I'm good to go? And maybe (just a guess) always buy "matched pairs" of EL34s to avoid this in the future?
It CAN be a sign that the tube is nearing the end.

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
You could shut the amp down, let the tubes cool, and switch positions of the two power tubes to see if the condition follows the tube or stays in the socket. If it follows the tube, you need a new set of power tubes. If it stays in the socket, it is tech time.

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
You could shut the amp down, let the tubes cool, and switch positions of the two power tubes to see if the condition follows the tube or stays in the socket. If it follows the tube, you need a new set of power tubes. If it stays in the socket, it is tech time.
Excellent debugging advice!!

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
If you should buy new tubes, ask the vendor for a matched pair with low(er) current draw.

Bad Cat does run tubes hard.

gpw5150

Tele-Meister
Had this ol’ chestnut in my Pro.

Yes, it is red plating.

Switch tubes when cold: if it follows the tube - get new tubes

If not and it stays on the socket:

Clean the valve socket
Re-flow the solder joints on the socket

Or

it can be either a coupling capacitor in the phase invertor or one of the resistors in that circuit, which you may need a tech to diagnose/fix

Cjteleforum

TDPRI Member
Glad to hear it was just a bad tube.

Any amp can have it's bias adjusted, whether it's fixed or cathode. "Adjustable" just means that there is a variable resistor(a pot) which makes it much easier to adjust the bias, since there's no soldering involved.

Cathode biased amps are adjusted by changing the value of the cathode bias resistor.