1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

is this possible? crazy? or been done before?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by DjimiWrey, Nov 25, 2020.

1. DjimiWrey

DjimiWrey Tele-Meister

From a completely non techy guy..

I love the sound of the twin reverb (tube version)

but i'm not man enough to haul 'em around anymore

i love the weight and size of the deluxe reverb but not the 6V6 sound

can a good amp tech rig a traditional deluxe reverb chassis with 6L6's ?

i just bought a newer version fender deluxe with 6L6's/ 1x12 and it sounds great but it's too dang heavy

how do i get that twin reverb tone in a smaller lighter package?

will 6L6's bring the deep clear sparkle? or is it waaay more complicated than that?

I did once play through a marshall head loaded with 6L6's and it had the goods

That Cal Webway and mojek like this.
  2. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Afflicted

If a twin is what does it for you, I don't think you'll be happy with an amp with 1/2 the power and 1/2 the speakers. Using amp math that works out to 1/4 of the amp a twin is.

But yes, a good tech will be able to do what you ask.

DjimiWrey and Wulf like this.
  3. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

DjimiWrey and Wulf like this.
  4. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Swapping power tubes doesn't magically get you twice the power. You need a bigger OT to provide more output, and likely a bigger PT to get more current. If not, you're just running some 6L6 tubes at lower power. Which can totally be done, but you likely won't notice much of a difference.

What about one of the shiny new ToneMaster series? Way less weight without tubes and transformers.

5. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

I was going to mention the ToneMaster also. It sounds like Fender lightened up the Twin sound. That being said, someone could mate a switching power supply to a pair of 6L6's and use half the output iron of a Twin. But not your average person to do it. Might as well go all the way, build a lightweight cabinet and go to a neo speaker.

Mike M and scelestus like this.
  6. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

What do you consider too heavy? I have a single 12 custom built combo from NAU that can get very Fendery and then some, maybe 40 lbs.. I also have 2 Frenzel heads and a single 12" cab from Flite that is super light. I find it a little better to have the head in one hand and the speaker in the other, that's probably as light as I will go. Some of the modelers out there do a Twin very well.

PhredE and mojek like this.
  7. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

You don't need to do anything special to run just a pair, except the output transformer will run better at twice the ohms.

Putting a lower powered output transformer may save a bit of weight, although not a huge amount. The Neo speakers probably more, especially if going from JBLs.

Not really sure what is wanted here. Are the reverb and tremolo needed? Would a blackface Bassman or Tremolux head work, perhaps with an outboard reverb?

DjimiWrey likes this.
  8. mojek

mojek Tele-Meister

You can spare some weight on well dried pine cab(1-2kg) and neo speaker(2-3kg)..

PhredE and DjimiWrey like this.
  9. 2L man

2L man Tele-Meister

I think it is not worth modifying like that. More powerful PT and OPT incease weight and cost money. More powerful power tubes might be too close in that chassis.

Perhaps you could build a new cabinet for one excellent lightweight Tweed loudspeaker (12" Tornado) using 1/4" plywood with thoughtfully installed stiffeners?

mojek likes this.
  10. DjimiWrey

DjimiWrey Tele-Meister

11. DjimiWrey

DjimiWrey Tele-Meister

thanks for the reply. i did try the tonemaster series but i'm one of those weirdos that thinks he can hear the difference between ss and tubes but they are nice and light i doubt that the audience can hear a difference but there's a bit of mystical magic in the deep clear sparkle from the 6L6's

12. printer2

It sounded like the OP was not going to use a Twin as parts, so why get a bigger transformer than needed? I have an OT that can run a pair of 6L6's out of an organ, noticeable difference in size between a Twin OT. I am going to build a 6L6 amp out of it with a switching supply. Mount the OT on the lightweight cabinet and the chassis can be a lightweight aluminum one. Shave a lb here, a lb there and it all adds up. The question was what can be done, you then can pick which of the ideas suit you. Even using normal OT and PT for a pair of 6L6's will shave weight, mount them on the cabinet, go to a light weight chassis, or just an aluminum sized to hold the transformers. It all depends how far you want to go and how much you want to spend.

radiocaster likes this.
  13. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Of course you could always convert the Twin to a head.

thunderbyrd and Mexitele Blues like this.
  14. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

Yup.

mojek likes this.
  15. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Have a look at the Allen Accomplice. Topology of the reverb channel of a Deluxe Reverb. It will run 6V6 or 6L6 power tubes.

DrPepper, scelestus and thunderbyrd like this.
  16. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Ever try a Princeton Reverb? Took a deal I couldn't pass up on a 64 PR to change my mind about 6v6s. Plus a PR is a lot easier to carry than a DR.

17. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

No you're not a weirdo.

It's not only hearing the difference,
    but also the feel of a gd tube amp in all of the frequency ranges!

18. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Big Iron is what makes the difference.

6L6 tubes are glassier, but they will not get you the girth and authority that the big iron of a Twin offers.

I did a little bit of this with my 1958 Twin. With a new pine cab (mine was cut down to a head when I bought it) and neo speakers, my Twin weighs 46 lbs. (it is not a Twin Reverb, so one less transformer and a few less components). Without the heavy transformers, I could probably get it quite a bit lighter. But, it would lose the bass response and warmth, especially at lower volumes.

I can say that the iron makes a difference, because I also have a '59 Bassman Reissue (that's been re-wired to 5f6-a specs). At 45 watts or so, it's half the power, smaller iron, half the power tubes, etc. It is easily identifiable as in the same tone family, but there is a big enough difference, I can easily justify the owning both. There is a different swirl that fills a room nicely, from the four 10's. Where as the Twin fills the room in a completely different way! The lower mids and bass is clearer, heavier.

This is one of the things I've always appreciated about the Twin Reverb. There is a warmth and a presence to the tone that smaller amps just don't have.

mojek, hepular and schmee like this.
  19. printer2

Organ people shield your eyes. 6L6 powered, no problem with low end. When I get time.Nice surprise as I did not know what it had for tubes. Free at the cost of an hour drive.

[​IMG]

20. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Probably less of a difference if you plug them into the same cab.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.