Is this "normal," or "normal"-enough...?

RoscoeElegante

Poster Extraordinaire
When I tune up, I almost always tune my B string a bit (maybe 3 or 4 cents) sharper than electronic/online tuners tell me to. When I try to go with what's e-kosher, D and G chords, particularly, sound off to me. Dull, a bit sour, etc. When others accompany me when I've tuned that B string a bit sharp, they don't notice anything amiss.

I tune the B down to proper pitch if I'm playing in E. Otherwise, it will sound out with the B note on the A string. But if playing in keys other than E, a bit sharp it remains. This is on all guitars, by the way.

Do others do something similar? Is our hearing that damage-able or weird that something a bit out of tune, officially, actually sounds "right" to us, in most keys?

Last edited:

Boreas

Doctor of Teleocity
When I tune up, I almost always tune my B string a bit (maybe 3 or 4 cents) sharper than electronic/online tuners tell me to. When I try to go with what's e-kosher, D and G chords, particularly, sound off to me. Dull, a bit sour, etc. When others accompany me when I've tuned that B string a bit sharp, they don't notice anything amiss.

I tune the B down to proper pitch if I'm playing in E. Otherwise, it will sound out with the B note on the A string. But if playing in keys other than E, a bit sharp it remains. This is on all guitars, by the way.

Do others do something similar? Is our hearing that damage-able or weird that something a bit out of tune, officially, actually sounds "right" to us, in most keys?
Yes. Many people with sensitive ears alter their tuning because guitars are an imperfect system. Most of this is considered "tempering" if you want to study it in the Googleverse.

telestratosonic

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter

Great post! For me, it's when I'm playing in the key of D. When I end the verse with the D chord and go to the A chord, the E note on the E/1st string always sounds sour to me.

You may be able to hear it here on:

'You're The Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me' by Jimzie Goulding (me).

I'm playing in the key of D but I'm tuned down half a step which puts it in C#.

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
Yeah...like @Boreas says, guitars are inherently out of tune, even when they are in tune. Study that if you want, lots of detail on "why" out there - or just tune, then tweak.

I find that D and F chords in the cowboy position are the best guide after you've tuned. Then try an open G and if that all sounds good, you're probably ready to roll.

Then again, if I'm playing in a different key, I might tweak one more time after playing the chords for that song. Or not.

telestratosonic

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Yeah...like @Boreas says, guitars are inherently out of tune, even when they are in tune. Study that if you want, lots of detail on "why" out there - or just tune, then tweak.

I find that D and F chords in the cowboy position are the best guide after you've tuned. Then try an open G and if that all sounds good, you're probably ready to roll.

Then again, if I'm playing in a different key, I might tweak one more time after playing the chords for that song. Or not.
The open G chord is one of my 'go-to's as well. I always have to tweak the E/6th string to get the G/3rd fret in tune to my liking.

I'll give the F chord a go tomorrow. Thanks for chiming in. I really notice the 'sour' notes when I listen to tunes I've recorded. Drives me crazy because I think everyone else will hear those 'off' notes as well.

Grandy

Tele-Holic
I play chords in different positions up and down the neck to check that the tuning is good enough no matter which key. Then again, I don't play much chords whith open strings. And I play rhythmically intense stuff, when being in tune isn't as important. Also my chords consist of three or four notes max. Again tuning can be more of an issue if your are playing big chords that ring out.