Is this normal for a saddle?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Chick-N-Picker, May 17, 2021.

1. Laren

Laren Tele-Meister

You need to level the saddle. You can see it's on an angle looking air the grub screws.

2. Chicken Curry

Chicken Curry Tele-Meister

Does it sound like a bad sitar? If it's not touching the screw than it shouldn't make any weird noises. In any case, move it over and cut a slot in it.

3. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

There's already a slot there, I see it to the left of the string. It might not be deep enough, I have no idea from looking at the photo.

However, that's irrelevant. Just loosen the string and move it to the left. If it keeps moving to the right when playing, then you need to deepen it.

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  4. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

That used to bug me with my Baja. I would re-align the string so it would not sit in the screw groove, but then the spacing would not be even. Was it a big deal? No, it was just one of those little thing that triggered OCD for me.

I ended up getting compensated saddles with grooves to remedy that; I got the Bensonite saddles that @Kmaxbrady sells. I like them.

If you want to stick with those saddles, then at the next string change you could adjust them side to side a bit and align the strings so they don't fall into the screw slots. Or just play it like it is; that's part of the charm of a Tele, right?

Kmaxbrady likes this.
  5. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

This is why I prefer groved saddles and this is also why I dislike a lot of compensated saddles which are slanted. The strings should have a place and should stay in that place.

I do think that as others have said your e and b strings are set at quite different heights and maybe one needs raising or the other lowering to level that saddle a bit more and the the string shouldn't slip that far to the side of the saddle.

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Seldom will it stay in the proper position, in my experience.

Maybe a small slot, cut into the steel, would do the trick. I find, this type of saddle doesn't "take a set", or a least the B and little E strings don't take a set (like brass does) and so for most players it is just a question of where you will be, when it shifts on you. That won't work for me. It won't work for me and I use 11-49s or 12-52s on this sort of guitar - I have no idea how a guy with 8s or 9s could cope.

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Some guys like their strings, almost in a straight line at the bridge. But they're in the minority, and there's simply no chance they will get better than average (or sometimes even decent) intonation. The slant sort of stands in, or serves as a poor man's compensation of the saddle. I'm not a stickler for perfect congruence in the heights of all the strings, but your proposal, in my experience, means the B will be too low and the little E too high for optimal performance.

Unless the user has custom cut each grub screw to length (or found screws in many choices of length) then by definition one screw could be recessed while the adjacent one is a little proud.

8. NW_TELE

NW_TELE TDPRI Member

This was one of the reasons i got the Ggotoh compensated saddles ($26 from stewmac) for my 20' American Performer. Improved the intonation and no more string moving :)

9. Laren

Laren Tele-Meister

I live and learn. I didn't know that. Cheers. Still probably why the string is falling off it though.

10. blues

blues Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Strings can move around on the saddle just by playing. I had this with the low E on one of my Telecasters. I'm heavy handed at times.

I never once thought about makeing the saddles level. I don't know why anyone would want to do that. But to each their own. I like to set the saddles with the radius of the finger board.

I just put a set of Rutters on and never thought about it again.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.