Is this normal for a saddle?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Chick-N-Picker, May 17, 2021.

1. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Friend of Leo's

Is it normal for the little e string to sit in the screw hole like this on a telecaster. It doesn't seem to be messing with my intonation, at least not enough to notice. It doesn't seem to be making it to close to the edge of the fretboard or making the action way lower or way higher. I do need to do a set up on the guitar and make sure the neck relief is right first thing. Then go on to saddle action height check the nut out, and pick up height. I would like the action just a tad lower, especially on the treble side which I know is common. I've never set up a tele and may just find somebody in my area that actually knows what they are doing and let them give it a set up, at least the first time. I'd like to watch though so I could learn.

Ok so basically two questions.
    1. Is this normal, common, or should it not be resting there at all.

2. Any good video (or articles) with really good details on how to do a proper set up, in case I do it myself? One that shows everything up close? I've watched a few but many don't show nothing up close and how do I know they know what they are doing? So I come here.
    20210517_221814.jpg

Telekarster likes this.
  2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

Hard to say exactly. But this is why I'm skeptical of after market saddles. -not saying these are, but no, that doesn't look right.
    Are you sure it's not just snagged there?

3. Texicaster

Texicaster Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

My '58 AVRI was like that...Normal? I guess....I swapped out for some compensated Callahams.

Rutters look more like these and have grooves that keep the strings off the screws.

4. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

It may just be the photo but it looks like it is not parallel, like it is pulled to the outside a little and stuck there. Have you detuned and tried to move it over toward the center?

Coffeemutt and Tonetele like this.
  5. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

Looks like the first two strings are laying outside of the pickup. If the intonation is good, the response is good and there's no buzzing, the only thing you have to worry about is the string breaking right there.
    I would gander that the neck is out of alignment, but I can't be sure.
    Edit: first string is snagged.

TwoBear likes this.
  6. Chick-N-Picker

I belive these to be the original saddles. It's a 50's Classic Lacquer.

Yes, I have moved it off and slid it over. In just a few minutes of playing it slips back down into that spot.

Yes, the little e appears to barely go over any of the magnet.

7. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

You could re-align that string with a tiny notch. I've used good quality bridges/saddles with the string spacing is already carved before sale. Fender parts make them.

8. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

If it were I, ... I would file a groove in the saddle behind the apex to prevent it skewing off. Or buy a set of grooved saddles.
    That string must be getting close to the edge of the neck where it's sitting.

Danb541 and SRHmusic like this.
  9. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

Just move it over, not that difficult.

Vanzant, blues, trev333 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

If you don't hear any buzzing or strange tones or dead tones etc, I wouldn't sweat it. Mine does this sometimes too but it's never been an issue for me, and I play my tele pretty hard at times. It's all part of the experience ;)

Also, here's a video for setup. I haven't watched it personally, it's long about 1 hr, but it seems like they cover the full meal deal. Should help I think..

Chick-N-Picker likes this.
  11. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

Looks to be snagged on the edge of the hole. Would the entire saddle move over a little to give more landing?
    That’s why I like these - no problems 75C57288-385B-40D5-8420-90E8D02B5160.jpeg

12. Chick-N-Picker

Yes, it is snagged. I can move it back over with a little effort. It just slips back down into the edge of the hole. Haven't tried to move the saddle any.

I may just switch to some different saddles in the next month or two with grooves, when I do the set up. Right now I'm just playing it as is but wanted to see how normal or commom it was. Didn't think it should technically sit there.

13. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

I had this exact same problem on my custom shop, so for sure it's not unseen and definitely not a problem due to aftermarket saddles only.
    On mine it was doing so on different strings, especially on the wound G, and since I used flatwounds that can be quite fragile, it was eating through the string. I went with running abrasive around the saddle adjustment screws to smooth out the edges of the hole, but in the end I've just switched to threaded saddles.

Chick-N-Picker likes this.
  14. Chick-N-Picker

Yeah, I said I did that in the original post and that it just slides back in a few minutes of playing. Probably will have to file a little notch or get some different saddles.

15. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Holic

Have you got a picture that shows the neck set? Could the alignment of the strings as they line up to each edge of the neck be better by loosening the screws and pulling the neck up towards the upper bout, Which I’m guessing might help, or possibly the other direction without really being able to see the whole thing. Also I have had some luck by loosening all the bridge screws except one and nudging/pivoting the bridge over, then re-tightening but not so much that bridge goes back to the old bad spot.

16. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

Yes that's my experience too: when the string wants to sit here, it will move back there. That's why I like threaded saddles: you can keep each string where you want it.
    I'm using these ones, that were recommended by Jim Campilongo, and I have to say I'm 100% satisfied:
    [​IMG]
    https://glendaleguitars.com/saddles/

JIMMY JAZZMAN likes this.
  17. Chick-N-Picker

Surprisingly I can't tell much of a difference when playing it both ways or visually checking it. In a way it almost feels more comfortable to play this way, but not sure. Haha. I try it both ways and just can't tell if there's a really a difference or if it's all in my mind. It's almost like I'm trying to convince myself that it plays better when sitting correctly because I know it's supposed to be that way, even though it may actually play better in the screw hole.

18. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

Rutters saddles might be your answer. They are lightly notched for intonation and would also fix your problem. They make them in brass as well as a few varieties of steel.

19. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

Just needs a good set-up imo, nothing wrong with the saddles or your bridge.

You could attempt it yourself or take it to a guitar tech, simple enough job if you know what you're doing, best of luck with it!

20. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

what if you leveled the saddle a bit so the string wouldn't slide down hill?.....

Papa Rufus and Laren like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.