Is this maple?

johmica

Tele-Afflicted
Billed as maple by manufacturer of cheapo guitar. It looks right to me, based on comparisons with online photos, but I'm curious to hear from the more experienced. Manufactured in China (and, yes, the wood filler is my work. I gouged the wood in spots while scraping it. Give me a break! I'm learning here!).

IMG_20211119_091659067~2.jpg

8barlouie

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I’ve had several experiences with Asian made guitars that denote a certain type wood on the body or neck only to find out the specie is something similar, but not quite what it was billed.

For example, I had a mid eighties Greco which was supposed to have a maple cap. Close inspection made me suspicious of that. After some research, I found out that the top was sycamore- a species of wood that we don’t really see too often on guitars over here.

The Greco played and sounded superbly, btw.

pshupe

Tele-Meister
First guess to me, no, but it could be as there are so many types of maple and this isn't the greatest picture. The colour doesn't look right to me for maple. Maple is usually a bit whiter and it usually yellows with age. It looks like this had finish but now has been stripped.

Cheers Peter.

Blue Bill

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
You can see some longitudinal grain lines behind the fourth fret that look like the wood I see in a lot of cheap MIC furniture; I can't remember the name of it, maybe some Acacia variety.

Ronkirn

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
Notice the conspicuous absence of the word 'maple' on the label.

That would be lying :twisted:

actually... I used to work in Advertising... back, a shi* pot full of years ago.. we used to get bulletins from The FDA on what and how the language could be used.. they were carved in Bas Relief on Granite slabs in Hieroglyphs.. I'm talking long ago.. so long ago, I was still skinny ..

But, if they were to say Genuine, Authentic, Actual, etc., Maple.. it would indeed be a lie... but.. the good old Gubmint provides a loophole.. If they said "Real Maple" then it's perfectly legal.. because the FDA has determined that the word "Real" has no meaning in our language and if it tastes like Maple, the taste must be a real taste, as opposed to a fake taste. There are no fake tastes, you either taste it, or you don't.. Next time your lookin' at candy, note how many candy labels say REAL chocolate...

It kinda makes sorting through what is actually being said in our language like being an 8 foot deep Septic Tank cleaner, with leaky boots... like the boots mean anything.. :eek:

Last edited:

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
the word "Real" has no meaning in our language and if it tastes like Maple, the taste must be a real taste, as opposed to a fake taste. There are no fake tastes, you either taste it, or you don't..

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O:confused::confused::confused::confused::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Word salad comin' up! :cool:

BTW - I call it mahogany too ;)

crazydave911

Doctor of Teleocity
Does it sand well but seem to be somewhat heavy? If so Malaysian oak is a possibility. I make many bodies from it and it looks like that. Not that China doesn't use real Canadian maple at times, they import it for higher end guitars. In some factories anyway