Is This Kinda Weird.....or??!!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by boneyguy, Sep 14, 2019.

1. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

OK, I totally misunderstood. I thought the phone guy was near when the bar maid yelled "Stella?"

Now I'm on track with you in the shock and awe department! These things happen and do depend on "the stars aligning". Having a conversation with someone in your car and you speak a sentence and one of your words is spoken at exactly the same time by the person speaking on the radio...many examples of these coincidences.

I'm fascinated by those as well. Sorry I mis-read your post.:)

boneyguy likes this.
  2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

My best friend shares the same awe about these things as my wife does. Especially if it has anything to do with numbers. I don't get it. It is just a coincidence. Nothing more and nothing less. It actually bores me when these things are mentioned.

3. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

Someone once misheard my name as "Florine"! :D

Is that even a word much less a name?!

THEN someone showed me a photo of Crest fluoride toothpaste!

:D

boneyguy likes this.
  4. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

When my grandaughter Candace was born we went to the hospital for the birth. Mom came out of recovery and we were all in the room taking turns holding her. My wife had been to the cafeteria to get some drinks and had bought some sort of glass bottled juice for me. I asked what the baby's middle name was and was told Mckinley. Just then I unscrewed the top of the juice bottle and on the underside were facts for President William Mckinley. We all got a good laugh out of that one.

When my daughter was younger she qualified at the US Nationals for her sport. The date was 6/6 and she was level 6. I'm not superstitious but when three 6s come up I notice. When she got her competitor number it was........666. Not even kidding. I made them give her another number.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    boneyguy and william tele like this.
  5. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

In the quantum universe, observable events are the result of an inconceivably large number of probabilities falling just so. This is really the antithesis of a deterministic universe but it is probably :eek: why the common understanding of it is that we live in a universe where anything can happen. That's absurd. The OP's conundrum was quite possibly caused by Alexa overhearing something. That's why I turn my phone off when it's not in use.

KevinB likes this.
  6. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

No worries WT.....and the barmaid didn't yell 'Stella' either....lol....it was very noisy and she leaned forward to my wife and spoke....I was 2 feet away from her and I didn't hear what she had said....I had to ask my wife after the waitress left.....then 20 seconds later from across the room along comes buddy with the phone!! WHAM!! It was fantastic!!

I'm fascinated by these sorts of things too. I also think many if not most are not particularly meaningful...but I've had too many weird ones happen too many times to say with confidence that they are all meaningless and trivial. Hell, we don't understand or even have the sensory organs to perceive the vast majority of what goes on in this universe so it's just not realistic and it would be more than a bit arrogant for me to conclude with certainty that these sort events are always trivial and meaningless. This particular incident didn't seem all that meaningful to me....it just filled me with delight, that's all.

william tele likes this.
  7. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

I recently had a rash on a couple of my fingers (that has since gone away without any treatment thankfully.) I traveled 2500 miles to a family wedding when I had the rash and two of my aunts had the same rash. I don't know but I suspect that theirs went away as well.

8. boneyguy

OMG! The woman working the door that night...her name is Alexa!!!!! :eek:

That's actually true....I've known Alexa for years....in fact I had a dance with her that night!

In this case the phone scenario doesn't seem very likely for a number of reasons....ambient sound levels....proximity of the guy with the phone to the waitress when she spoke "Stella"....the fact that the guy himself (who was across the room when we were talking to the waitress) took the pic and retrieved it himself on the phone to show me....

I absolutely agree with this.... "In the quantum universe, observable events are the result of an inconceivable large number of probabilities falling just so. This is really the antithesis of a deterministic universe"

And given that we (our brains/nervous system) are stuff of this universe how can we trust ourselves to accurately reveal the universe to ourselves..that's quite a task..(essentially we are revealing ourselves to ourselves and that will always be a flawed undertaking).. The map will never fully describe the complexity of the territory......the menu is not the meal.

JL_LI and william tele like this.
  9. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

ser·en·dip·i·ty
    /ˌserənˈdipədē/

the occurrence and development of events by chance in a happy or beneficial way.
    "a fortunate stroke of serendipity"
    synonyms: chance, happy chance, accident, happy accident, fluke; More

10. boneyguy

Yes, there are numerous words for it.....none of them explain how it works....it just gives us something to call it.

These sorts of terms can be dismissive of all kinds of important information. It reminds me of the medical use of the term 'side effects'....

I wouldn't expect that anyone would consider that their given name is a full and complete description of the complexity of what or who they are.

JL_LI likes this.
  11. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

Good point. All the haggling over what 'Synchronicity' means still doesn't explain how it works. At least Jung tried to figure out how it may be applicable to everyday life, whether he was right or not.

(Not a big Jung fan, just giving credit where it's due)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.