Is This Kinda Weird.....or??!!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by boneyguy, Sep 14, 2019.

1. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

I'm about to tell a story. Not a particularly involved or dramatic story but I think this is an example of an interesting thing we would call a coincidence. The kind that happen fairly often. I'm sure the events I'm about to recall for you can be explained in some sort of logical, rational manner and that would be the default choice for, probably, most of us. But!!.... even if it's possible to explain the flow of events in that way and we wind up with the label 'coincidence' stamped on it (and we feel that glow of certainty that we've explained what happened rationally, scientifically) does that really mean there can't be some aspects of this flow of events that slip through the cracks of what we normally perceive as rational or understandable?!

The Story:

I was out with my wife last night to see some friends playing in a local bar. It was not too busy but it was pretty loud. Eventually, the waitress made her way to us and we ordered a couple of pints. The waitress asked for a name to put on the bar tab and my wife spoke up and told the waitress her name, "Kelly". In the noise the waitress didn't hear her clearly and she repeated a name back to my wife to confirm but it was too noisy for me to hear what the waitress said. I then heard my wife say "No...it's Kelly"....and away went the waitress to get our beer.

After the server left I leaned across the table and asked my wife "What did she think your name was?" and my wife replied "Stella". I kinda chuckled and that was that.

Then, probably no more than 30 seconds later a guy that I know (who's doing sound for the band) sees me as he's walking by and he smiles and pulls out his phone. He says "Look what I just got!" He hands me the phone and it's a pic of an acoustic guitar...obviously an old one. I asked him "What is it?" and he replies "it's a Stella".

Well, I have to admit I got a pretty good jolt of that childlike sort of excitement when the world reveals and displays things in a way that seems like close up magic. I loved it and it excited me. I told my wife, however, and she just kinda shrugged, like 'yeah, no big deal'. Well, I think it's kind of a big deal.

When you think of all the little stars that had to align (a pun on Stella!) to get all those numerous events to line up it's kinda mind-blowing. Not the least of which is that I had bothered to ask my wife what the name was that the waitress thought my wife had said. Why I cared about that I don't know. If that in itself had not happened then there would be no story for me to tell.

But does that mean that there would have been no coincidence?

Telefan65, Fretting out and sean79 like this.
  2. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Those kind of coincidences kind of un-nerve me. Throw the wife's reaction into the mix & my head would explode. I'd need some kind of validation to keep me on the rails. It's just to bizarre a coincidence.

boneyguy likes this.
  3. Bulldoggio

Bulldoggio Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Was the beer a Stella? Did the band play Stella by Starlight?

4. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I’d call that a lower level coincidence but still kinda weird and fun. :)

suave eddie likes this.
  5. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Was there a guy at the next table from the Bronx who right then was telling his buddy “the food usually sucks here but the service is stella’ !”

6. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

well, first of all, it would helpful for us to know, are you still drunk?

knowing this might influence our replies.

Shuster, Kebmel and boneyguy like this.
  7. boneyguy

No and no. I've already included those sorts of variables and possibilities.

You see, to my way of thinking, even if someone had just ordered a Stella beer from the waitress several minutes before coming over to us there are still numerous things to account for that aren't obvious. Like how does 'Kelly' become 'Stella' and not 'Cary' or 'Nellie' or 'Ellie'....something more obvious? Why does the waitress hear my wife the second time but not the first? Why does the guy with the phone not get distracted by something and walk past me?
    To my mind, if you're going to label something a coincidence then you are required to rationally account for all those minute things that both did and didn't occur which allowed the events to unfold in the manner they did.

8. boneyguy

No, there wasn't. But after some friends returned to the table that had been outside smoking when the 'mysterious' event had taken place there was a period of time when people were attempting very poorly executed Brando imitations....and that went on for too long I can tell you.

nojazzhere and AAT65 like this.
  9. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Holic

Guy doing sound mentioned the Stella earlier within earshot of the waitress entering her subconscious.

Marquee Moon, Jupiter, aerhed and 2 others like this.
  10. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

I was thinking "beer" the instant I read the word Stella.

oh well. I'm simple and dull.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  11. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

too bad it wasn't Henderson

12. esseff

esseff Tele-Holic

That's freaky!
    Long time back I was watching Open University, which was a late night BBC2 television series demonstrating subjects studied by mature students. I'd just finished drinking a four-pack of beer and was idly fiddling with the plastic rings that held the cans together. This programme changed from metallurgical structural properties to elasticity and yield points and the egghead proceeded to demonstrate necking under stretching followed by elongation and failure. The subject? A can plastic ring and I was doing exactly that at the same time. :eek:
    I almost looked around to see if I was being filmed.

SecretSquirrel and boneyguy like this.
  13. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Write a song about it.

stinkey and boneyguy like this.
  14. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Holic

In the Cricket today Ben Stokes was out for 67 runs, bowler was Lyon, number 67 on his shirt.

richiek65 and nojazzhere like this.
  15. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

16. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Afflicted

There six letters in Stella and there are also six in my name. I might have to go say a prayer.

nojazzhere likes this.
  17. boneyguy

You see, this is the sort of thing that doesn't impress me in any way as being meaningful. Here's a couple of reasons....what if the weight scale was miscalibrated by 1/2 and ounce and that wasn't the babies real weight....what if the clock was running a few seconds fast or slow and the time was actually 9:10 or 9:12. Those sorts of variables take the fun out of it for me. And even if all those things were accurately measured it still feels like a big 'so what' to me for some reason. I mean, there are probably babies born each day of the year who's stats are the same as the date......probably.....?

18. boneyguy

Cricket is too confusing even for coincidences......;)

Norris Vulcan likes this.
  19. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

nojazzhere likes this.
  20. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Holic

That is kinda weird but I don’t think anything more than that. As far as I know the stars are still in the same places they usually are.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.