Is this just the "grumpy old man" forum now?

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
what I assume to be a bunch of grumpy, condescending baby-boomers making snarky remarks about how stupid and unemployable any girl who dies her hair an unnatural color is.

"Assume" being the operative word. Go back and read the posts. There's as many defending as not. Now any more outbursts young man and no guitar for a week.:p

EsquireOK

Poster Extraordinaire
The guitar hobby has LONG been that way, and especially the Telecaster niche of it. This Website is one of the most intense in that regard, within the guitar hobby. Gotta just learn to [mostly] ignore it. Nothing new here, though.

Bergy

Tele-Holic
Of the 35 topics that just populated on the main page of tdpri....about 27 of them were directly guitar or music related. That doesn't strike me as being distracted from our purpose.

You'll have to point me to the golden age of guitar player diversity I guess. There have never been very many women playing guitar, ever. While there should definitely be way more women playing guitar, ya can't put that on the Teles. It is an unfortunate truth that vasts swaths of occupational landscape employ very few women.

I'm not too convinced that much has changed around here. The outrage seems a bit manufactured and the tone a bit ageist, IMO. When was the demographic of this website anything different than what it currently is?

Tenderfoot

Tele-Afflicted
I’m a baby boomer but not the type as you have described. I choose my words carefully and only comment on posts where I can provide my input without offending any person, place or thing. If I see that a thread has negativism I will try to spin as positive comment if possible. If not, then I do not post.

As I become knowledgeable of the members who post on TDPRI, I strive to understand their mannerisms in the way they express themselves and try to filter out the negativism as much as possible and go from there.

I had a coworker years ago, whom based on his emails prior to our first actual face to face meeting, I had formed an opinion that we were not going to get along. Once we met up, he turned out to be one of the nicest guys I ever worked with.

In summary, this forum needs the baby boomers who can speak from years of experience and it needs the contributions of the younger folks who are more up to date on the more recent things. You take these two groups put them together they spell a Win for all who come seeking and/or sharing knowledge related to music and other topics.

Jack Clayton

Tele-Holic
Why doesn't my forum dedicated to an instrument introduced in 1950 attract a younger and more diverse crowd?

I don’t know but I suspect it’s these other old guys fault!

Don't know what to tell you, except that I'm a milennial who loves the electric guitar, and is starting to really hate this site.

chet again

Friend of Leo's
Don't know what to tell you, except that I'm a milennial who loves the electric guitar, and is starting to really hate this site.
I wouldn't take those posts too seriously. They are what they are. Generations are different. The forum is mostly for discussing guitars but this is the Bad Dog Café where people talk about whatever. If you go to any café in your town and talked to everybody in there you'd find people you don't like or agree with. You just avoid them.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Well, it's like I said before - every generation has their own way of rebelling so... maybe for the next generations it will be "cool" to shave every ounce of hair from your body and implant a cow horn in the forehead..., and the cool music will be 12 oz. hammers banging metal trash cans ;) Who knows ;) And, just like the generations before, the current generation will skalk and grumble at the younger generations and say "these kids today...." Been going on for centuries like this, and today is nothing new. The young today will be the "the grumpy old geezers" of tomorrow ;)

Nubs

Friend of Leo's
Look, if you get genuinely emotionally charged to every negative and off-topic comment made in threads, you're gonna be one angry person. Learn to skip over the comments which are dumb and offer no help to the thread topic. They're called trolls and they're everywhere.

I understand it gets frustrating at times and it makes you wanna say F*%# it and leave. But if that's your response to every troll post, you best log off the internet for good now.

Yes people are grumpy. Yes they're gonna ***** & moan. Human nature. If you see a thread starting to devolve because everyone is so distracted with the pretty butterfly in the corner, move on to the next one. People are more easily distracted now than ever before.

Gonna need thicker skin to survive in this world son.

RatBug

Tele-Meister
Really? Because I thought we were here to celebrate the guitars we like, share tricks of the trade etc. Thanks for letting me know this forum is actually just about excluding and demeaning people different from us.

This is how you started this thread.

FIVE PAGES of what I assume to be a bunch of grumpy, condescending baby-boomers

And yet you want to act like people here are not inclusive?

blueruins

Tele-Meister
Don’t know what to tell you other than that’s your problem.
If there is some reason why your opinion is more important than these older folks I’m all ears?
This is a place where people who like guitars gather and you’re not going to have a lot in common otherwise with some of them.
If you think you can lecture them into behaving the way you approve of then keep posting.
It’s a free country where free people color their hair the way they want and other folks have free opinions about it that they’re free to discuss.

zimbo

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
This forum is all about who can write the snarkiest post in 10 words or less. So you have 12 pages of garbage snark and guys behind their computers rolling on the floor thinking that everyone else is laughing with them.

stepvan

Tele-Afflicted
Just saw a thread asking why girls are coloring their hair a certain way, followed by FIVE PAGES of what I assume to be a bunch of grumpy, condescending baby-boomers making snarky remarks about how stupid and unemployable any girl who dies her hair an unnatural color is.

Giving the original poster the benefit of the doubt, I'm assuming he he was genuinely curious as to why younger girls are interested in this trend. Sadly, he only got comments from angry old dudes. It doesn't seem like there are a lot of women 40 and under on this thread who'd be qualified to answer. And it's not because no female milennial has ever had an interest in the electric guitar. It's because this forum is weighed down by people who post things that would make younger women feel judged and unwelcome on this forum.

Here are a few examples of comments i saw

"They dye their hair because they think it makes them stand out... Just like everybody else."

"Because they want to look unemployable."

"Blah blah blah, carpet matches the drapes, blah..."

Really? Is anyone surprised that we don't get a lot of women, or young people for that matter, on this thread? Could it be because they're instantly aware they aren't welcomed here?

This isn't the first post of this kind I've seen. Folks really like to take a break from discussing guitars to whine about something the young people are into that they don't get. You are driving the younger audience away from this forum, and insuring they won't get the help they need when they've got questions about their gear.
And grumpy middle aged men too cannot leave us out