Is this just the "grumpy old man" forum now?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jack Clayton, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

"Assume" being the operative word. Go back and read the posts. There's as many defending as not. Now any more outbursts young man and no guitar for a week.:p

2. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

At least they're guitar players, unlike uncle Ray. :cool:

3. chet again

chet again Tele-Afflicted

I would've made a snarky remark in that thread ...

but I use "just For Men". :eek:

2 Headed Goat and talkbox_64 like this.
  4. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

And beautifully, when you posted that, your post count was 1818. :-D

5. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

I’m confused. So there was a thread for older folks complaining about younger folks, and now there is a thread for younger folks to complain about the older folks complaining about the younger folks? And this one is somehow better? I ask only for clarification.

pixeljammer, '64 Tele, elihu and 29 others like this.
  6. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

The guitar hobby has LONG been that way, and especially the Telecaster niche of it. This Website is one of the most intense in that regard, within the guitar hobby. Gotta just learn to [mostly] ignore it. Nothing new here, though.

7. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

Of the 35 topics that just populated on the main page of tdpri....about 27 of them were directly guitar or music related. That doesn't strike me as being distracted from our purpose.

You'll have to point me to the golden age of guitar player diversity I guess. There have never been very many women playing guitar, ever. While there should definitely be way more women playing guitar, ya can't put that on the Teles. It is an unfortunate truth that vasts swaths of occupational landscape employ very few women.

I'm not too convinced that much has changed around here. The outrage seems a bit manufactured and the tone a bit ageist, IMO. When was the demographic of this website anything different than what it currently is?

Greggorios likes this.
  8. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Holic

I’m a baby boomer but not the type as you have described. I choose my words carefully and only comment on posts where I can provide my input without offending any person, place or thing. If I see that a thread has negativism I will try to spin as positive comment if possible. If not, then I do not post.

As I become knowledgeable of the members who post on TDPRI, I strive to understand their mannerisms in the way they express themselves and try to filter out the negativism as much as possible and go from there.

I had a coworker years ago, whom based on his emails prior to our first actual face to face meeting, I had formed an opinion that we were not going to get along. Once we met up, he turned out to be one of the nicest guys I ever worked with.

In summary, this forum needs the baby boomers who can speak from years of experience and it needs the contributions of the younger folks who are more up to date on the more recent things. You take these two groups put them together they spell a Win for all who come seeking and/or sharing knowledge related to music and other topics.

Grodad, stevemc, Wallo Tweed and 9 others like this.
  9. Jack Clayton

Jack Clayton Tele-Meister

Don't know what to tell you, except that I'm a milennial who loves the electric guitar, and is starting to really hate this site.

10. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think you need to go back and read more of the posts. Some follow what you say about grumpy old men and some don’t. Also, breast cancer awareness month is brought up.

11. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Afflicted

News flash: Old man yells at cloud....

Deathray and Jerry_Mountains like this.
  12. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Is this just the "grumpy old man" forum now?

Now?

It was recommended to me, being a grumpy old man since childhood. So, I joined and have never regretted it, I felt right at home immediately.

'64 Tele, rcole_sooner and Greggorios like this.
  13. chet again

chet again Tele-Afflicted

I wouldn't take those posts too seriously. They are what they are. Generations are different. The forum is mostly for discussing guitars but this is the Bad Dog Café where people talk about whatever. If you go to any café in your town and talked to everybody in there you'd find people you don't like or agree with. You just avoid them.

jackinjax and 8barlouie like this.
  14. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

Well, it's like I said before - every generation has their own way of rebelling so... maybe for the next generations it will be "cool" to shave every ounce of hair from your body and implant a cow horn in the forehead..., and the cool music will be 12 oz. hammers banging metal trash cans ;) Who knows ;) And, just like the generations before, the current generation will skalk and grumble at the younger generations and say "these kids today...." Been going on for centuries like this, and today is nothing new. The young today will be the "the grumpy old geezers" of tomorrow ;)

15. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

Look, if you get genuinely emotionally charged to every negative and off-topic comment made in threads, you're gonna be one angry person. Learn to skip over the comments which are dumb and offer no help to the thread topic. They're called trolls and they're everywhere.

I understand it gets frustrating at times and it makes you wanna say F*%# it and leave. But if that's your response to every troll post, you best log off the internet for good now.

Yes people are grumpy. Yes they're gonna ***** & moan. Human nature. If you see a thread starting to devolve because everyone is so distracted with the pretty butterfly in the corner, move on to the next one. People are more easily distracted now than ever before.

Gonna need thicker skin to survive in this world son.

Grodad, jackinjax, NewKid and 7 others like this.
  16. RatBug

RatBug Tele-Meister

This is how you started this thread.

And yet you want to act like people here are not inclusive?

'64 Tele, E5RSY, RetroTeleRod and 3 others like this.
  17. blueruins

blueruins Tele-Meister

Don’t know what to tell you other than that’s your problem.
    If there is some reason why your opinion is more important than these older folks I’m all ears?
    This is a place where people who like guitars gather and you’re not going to have a lot in common otherwise with some of them.
    If you think you can lecture them into behaving the way you approve of then keep posting.
    It’s a free country where free people color their hair the way they want and other folks have free opinions about it that they’re free to discuss.

18. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Holic

It’s the same as generations before not liking long hair and that dastardly Sargent Pepper fellow

Well a young man ain’t got nothing in the world these days !

Almost cut my hair , happened just the other day !!

19. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

This forum is all about who can write the snarkiest post in 10 words or less. So you have 12 pages of garbage snark and guys behind their computers rolling on the floor thinking that everyone else is laughing with them.

20. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

And grumpy middle aged men too cannot leave us out

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.