Is this just the "grumpy old man" forum now?

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
Young people are not staying away from here because of grumpiness it any other form of abrasiveness.

You should see the carnage on the forums that young people do frequent. It’s a jungle out there.

This forum really has it together when it comes to conduct.

except that it's totally possible to be wildly toxic and condescending without profanity. which this forum frequently is. and the "no politics" rule is a joke. nothing reactionary or jingoistic ever gets cut.

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
Having survived the 1960's and 70's. A gal with pink hair neither shocks or bothers me.

If it's supposed to be a shock value. They're wasting it on me.

If someone, male or female can prove to me they have a work ethic. I'll hire them.

Speaking of hair color. Where did the old gals ever get the idea that the blue hair color was appealing?

How many of us here have played a VFW or any other fraternal organization. Only to look out over the crowd and see a room full of "bluehairs"?

We all probably have grumpy moments. I just attempt to keep mine at a minimum.

Life's too short.;)

when does that happen at vfws? i mostly see camo shorts, black t shirts, and spin kicks at musical events at vfws.

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
Changing hair colors for anyone male or female takes a bit of self delusion on the part of the participant in said activity. Old men with jet black, or dark brown hair look (qualifying IMO) even more out of place and stupid than a woman whose hair looks like it could be on a cotton candy cone. Blond hair on a 60+ year old man or woman requires suspending disbelief for both the wearer, and those who look at it. By suspending belief I mean, when they look in the mirror after applying the paint job, they CAN BELIEVE they look better.

what kind of self delusion? like, oh, this isn't green, something has gone terribly wrong with the rods and cones in my eyes?

why do you think "cotton candy" colors look "out of place and stupid"? should we only play wood colored guitars? is there dye in any of your clothing? do you season your food? do you use reverb when you play?

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
Just for the record, this straight-arrow heterosexual man thinks ultra short hair on a woman is hot as heck!!!!
A few weeks ago, at the Texas International Pop Festival, I happened to end up being seated next to the hottest looking woman I may have ever seen. She was with her husband/boyfriend/love interest, and they both were friendly and we visited quite a bit. It was hard to determine her age, she could have been mid to late twenties, or even into her late thirties. Amazing, slim figure, and her blond hair was virtually a skull cap style. We all grooved to the music, and she danced energetically, and certainly stirred this "old-timer's" blood. She definitely seemed happy snuggling with her man, and, while I obviously can't read minds or know what her inner preferences are, I'm sure she didn't have short-short hair to not attract men's attention.

yeah seriously just because you don't like it doesn't mean lots of other people don't.

2 Headed Goat

Friend of Leo's
Er yeah we did ,

Here it is again though in case ya forgot.

Or purple or blue. It looks like it is deliberately partially/very badly done, which is what attracts my curiosity. I see this look also on otherwise quite conventional looking women. Lots of it in London where I am. Is there an urban code to the shade?

I asked my student daughter and she said maybe because it makes them look more rad or hip.
Er yeah we did ,

Here it is again though in case ya forgot.

Or purple or blue. It looks like it is deliberately partially/very badly done, which is what attracts my curiosity. I see this look also on otherwise quite conventional looking women. Lots of it in London where I am. Is there an urban code to the shade?

I asked my student daughter and she said maybe because it makes them look more rad or hip.

Don't you go jumping ship now lol:p

LOL... While we're sorta back on topic as well as grumpin'... along the lines of 'very badly done' what's is up with women's eyebrows?? Crikey Dick, I'll take coloured hair any day over them freaky scary looking things....

Last edited:

Stratwrangler

Tele-Meister
th

th

Don't know what you mean:p

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
why so sexist? shouldn't the rule be about ALL pubic hair? If we could just avoid talking about that... well, we might lose durtdog, but think of all the people who cannot tolerate hearing about pubic hair that would be invited to join and stay!

That rule MIGHT look a little silly by itself, so, I think you, Jack Clayton, should come up with a comprehensive list of things we CANNOT discuss so that we invite more people (especially of specific gender identification) to join the site who currently won't visit because, well, you know.

I like your spirit! Propose some new rules, maybe we can vote on them!

it's creepier when it's a bunch of mostly dudes talking about it.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
what kind of self delusion? like, oh, this isn't green, something has gone terribly wrong with the rods and cones in my eyes?

why do you think "cotton candy" colors look "out of place and stupid"? should we only play wood colored guitars? is there dye in any of your clothing? do you season your food? do you use reverb when you play?

You've got that shoe polish look on your hair don't you? :lol::lol::lol:

PCollen

Friend of Leo's
Just saw a thread asking why girls are coloring their hair a certain way, followed by FIVE PAGES of what I assume to be a bunch of grumpy, condescending baby-boomers making snarky remarks about how stupid and unemployable any girl who dies her hair an unnatural color is.

Some come and post "off-topic conversation threads" just to commiserate with one another. It's the next best thing to being at the bar with your buds, and you don't have to buy a drink.
I try to get involved in only guitar related threads (obvioiusly this is an exception, albeit a brief one). It's a guitar/music forum, not Dr. Phil or Oprah.

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
It is hard to talk to someone with a nose ring coming out of their nostrils.
It just is, for me. I keep looking at it and wondering what if they sneeze.

Ya., Im old, I guess

nothing. it's going through the skin. how weak do you think that skin is?

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Some come and post "off-topic conversation threads" just to commiserate with one another. It's the next best thing to being at the bar with your buds, and you don't have to buy a drink.
I try to get involved in only guitar related threads (obvioiusly this is an exception, albeit a brief one). It's a guitar/music forum, not Dr. Phil or Oprah.

For shame, Dr. Phil, and Oprah, ain't got nuthin' on the Bad Dog!

Stratwrangler

Tele-Meister

Yet here you are joining in:lol:

Ironwolf

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter

Since you haven't figured it out yet, that is what his particular sub-forum is for.

kingofdogs1950

Tele-Afflicted
I used to build partscasters and homebrew amps. This is what first drew me to TDPRI in 2006.
I no longer own a tele, having gone back to short scale guitars like my 2010 PRS se single cut korina. I don't build amps any longer and really, no longer feel the urge.
So, in the meantime, I've gotten old and grumpy with nothing to keep my hands busy.
I guess I could play guitar, but that's a lot of work.
I'll think of something.

Woof-a-doodle

IMG_20190829_143638.jpg

Last edited: