Is this just the "grumpy old man" forum now?

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Yep !
It was still in tune afterwards too!
It was a Punk Rock dream machine.
Served me well .
:twisted:

In the early 80's, it seemed like every country band had peavey PA's and all peavey gear... I was still slingin a tele and fender super and feeling like I was not cool during the 'urban cowboy' days.... I always wanted one and got one about 10 years ago... SUCH a beast... and so many good sounds in it... after about 2 years, I sent it on to the next person, but, it was fun to have it and the giant molded case it came in... I used it on some gigs... and I had several guys tell me what you just said 'punk rock machine' and I thought... heck yeah, workingman's tools!

jimash

Friend of Leo's
I worked in a music store then repairing guitars ( Rondo Music) and I hated those. There were always two or three with the switches snapped off.

kingofdogs1950

Tele-Afflicted
And the time I El-Kabonged a drunk with my Peavey T60 guitar.

I've only seen one 'El-Kabong' but it was a good one.
Back in '69, a bar scuffle got out of hand and encroached on the stage. Our guitar player used his old Les Paul, Jr. to repel a drunk.
Swinging the LP, Jr. like Thor's hammer the neck snapped.
Amazingly, he had it glued and was using it within a week.
Back in the day, I can't recall anyone with a spare guitar (or two, or three...), and similarly, nobody had/carried a spare amp. If someone's amp quit, you doubled up into someone else's amp.
Sigh... didn't have T60s back then.

The Woof-master

howardlo

Tele-Afflicted
Wow! A T-60. I bought a used one from my buddy's music store back in the early 90's. Way, way heavier than any LP I have ever seen. Sold it about ten years ago on CL to a guy that had the matching bass and the smaller T-?.

Actually sold it for more than double what I had paid for it. Did sound good though.

bcorig

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Lost in the 909 trying to find my way home
Just saw a thread asking why girls are coloring their hair a certain way, followed by FIVE PAGES of what I assume to be a bunch of grumpy, condescending baby-boomers making snarky remarks about how stupid and unemployable any girl who dies her hair an unnatural color is.

Giving the original poster the benefit of the doubt, I'm assuming he he was genuinely curious as to why younger girls are interested in this trend. Sadly, he only got comments from angry old dudes. It doesn't seem like there are a lot of women 40 and under on this thread who'd be qualified to answer. And it's not because no female milennial has ever had an interest in the electric guitar. It's because this forum is weighed down by people who post things that would make younger women feel judged and unwelcome on this forum.

Here are a few examples of comments i saw

"They dye their hair because they think it makes them stand out... Just like everybody else."

"Because they want to look unemployable."

"Blah blah blah, carpet matches the drapes, blah..."

Really? Is anyone surprised that we don't get a lot of women, or young people for that matter, on this thread? Could it be because they're instantly aware they aren't welcomed here?

This isn't the first post of this kind I've seen. Folks really like to take a break from discussing guitars to whine about something the young people are into that they don't get. You are driving the younger audience away from this forum, and insuring they won't get the help they need when they've got questions about their gear.
The Boomers are not going gently into their good night.

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I for one am definitely grumpy. And I'm not even all that old. Getting there swiftly...
I think I'll start another thread... "Things that Annoy Me." Think I'll get many responses?

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I'm not grumpy and I'm not old

I'm well seasoned on the timeline to my grave and smilin every day!

HAPPY NOTE: the only difference between a Boomer and a millenial is the size of our bank accounta and who owns the most toys cuz in 30 years when we are all gone the next generation will be sayin the same thing about the millenials

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
There was a thread about me body checking a yuppie gal in the grocery store. And the time I El-Kabonged a drunk with my Peavey T60 guitar.
:eek:
I once owned a T-60.....technically still do, only in parts. I remembered seeing Jerry Reed and other guys on TV playing them, so when I came across one in a pawnshop (25+ years ago) for about $100 I bought it. NEVER could get it to play worth a hoot, plus it out-weighed my Honda Civic at the time. Only good part was the tuners.....I believe they were Schallers, only with the Peavey "P" symbol. I ended up using those on my first Tele, which ultimately got sold. I still have most of the parts of that T-60 around. I keep the "toothpick" thin neck by the door in case of intruders.....it would make a great "night stick". :)

cnlbb

Tele-Afflicted
Deflecting humor is often an attempt to avoid discussing something that makes a person uncomfortable & mockery is the fallback for someone who hasn't managed to workup a good argument.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Just the facts about US:

Not all TDPRI'ers are old.
Not all TDPRI'ers are men.
Not all TDPRI'ers are grumpy.

Three alternate facts about THEM:

Women with pink hair are dumb.
Women with pink hair are still hot.
Women with pink hair are supporting breast cancer awareness month.

In other news about news:

Don't believe everything you read.
Reportage is editorial.
Facts is facts.
And rare.