Is this just the "grumpy old man" forum now?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jack Clayton, Oct 9, 2019.

1. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

I didn't click on that thread because I find the endless "watsa matta with kids today" threads tiresome. I deal with 18-24 year olds for a living, at a mid level state university, and overall they seem pretty great to me. There are some lazy bums but it was ever thus, in every generation. For they most part they seem smart and curious and ambitious. I like them.

For some people it seems really important to denounce the present as always worse than the past, and this extends to everything-toast was toastier, gas was gassier, steel was more steely, bacon tasted like steak, etc etc.

I was grumpier as a young man than I am now

2. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

If you and the op had taken the time to actually have read the thread you both would have seen that about half the comments were supportive.
    But it's just so much more fun to "assume" when you want to go on a rant.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    Greggorios likes this.
  3. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

? I actually didn’t comment at all on the thread. I don’t see what I posted as a rant, but sorry if you do. Maybe read it again?

I’ll stick with my original observation that there are a lot of what’s the matter with kids today threads here.

MilwMark and Jupiter like this.
  4. Churchjack

Churchjack Tele-Meister

I was audited in my workplace by a young lady with pink hair just yesterday. I didn’t care. I thought she was attractive and professional. She had a piercing on her face, at that indent below the bottom lip before the chin starts to protrude. I like that look, generally, and I’m old. We made jokes about the corporate devils inspecting the satellite locations. I hope I got a good review! I should find out sometime today or tomorrow.

What I don’t like are mopes telling me what color ribbon (Ribbons?! Really, Tony Orlando?) month it is, and how I gotta represent ‘cause Something Bad Happened. I despise victim culture, guilt-shaming, and adversity vanities. That goes for you people that put memorial stickers on your auto glass! Say a rosary, move on, and leave the rest of us in peace. In the Old Days, we wore our misfortunes with humility.

So...yeah! Grumpy old men!!!

5. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

It is hard to talk to someone with a nose ring coming out of their nostrils.
    It just is, for me. I keep looking at it and wondering what if they sneeze.

Ya., Im old, I guess

howardlo, nojazzhere and Greggorios like this.
  6. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

The rant part was mainly directed at the op. Sorry for the poor choice of words.

But you did make a comment on a thread you didn't read.

I agree that there are posts saying what's wrong with kids theses days,but there are lots of positive comments that seem to get overlooked.
    If I have a choice between half empty or half full, I'm going with half full.

howardlo likes this.
  7. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

This is true but it's been said he makes some good chips!

912CUdiEhxL._SL1500_.jpg

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

BA798EBE-B2B7-4175-88BB-D4737F63E4B1.png I’ve only read about half the rants here about us old geezers. I’m retired medically but still think what I feel is young. Most of our younger female employees have piercings dyed hair and OMG tats. Our young men don’t go for the dyed hair but tats and piercing yes. These kids are still finding out who they are.
    My own step son asks me about the history of rock and roll and asks for help in setting up his guitars. He’s getting the hang of it now. Our community is still pretty straight laced Mormans but pretty tolerant if the subject kid plays by the rules and isn’t a thief or chronic doper. I think we all went through here stages of rebellion.

JuneauMike and nojazzhere like this.
  9. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Tele-Holic

To be fair, 99.99% of the grumpy, condescending and aggressive posts on this forum are directed towards guys.

Forums are tough places where people say dumb things and none the female guitarists I know shrivel or wilt when somebody says something stupid.

10. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Actually Jack....when My Generation was young our rallying cry was "Don't Trust Anyone Over 30."
    These days it has morphed into "Don't Trust Anyone Under 30."

Gentlemen give us a reason for trusting these deep insights you've shared and bared on TDPRI today.
    Just one reason.

BTW, I think you'd both be ravishing in pink hair and poodle skirts...
    Perhaps in Subic City circa 1973-1974.

P Thought likes this.
  11. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

Most generalities are false, including the OP’s post. One thread doesn’t define a whole forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wallo Tweed, fenderchamp and Boubou like this.
  12. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

And I’m Gen X, btw, so you can thank us for video games and alternative rock. You’re welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

nope. i have two girls aged 5 and 3 - my life is pink enough thank you. right now i have my toenails varnished and 6 fairy and unicorn stickers on my phone.
    you think i'm impressed by a pink avatar? pffft

14. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Don't know why I didn't post this earlier......from 1963. ;)

15. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

You sound like you took the tonenail varnishing like a real man.

Impressive!

Greggorios likes this.
  16. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

This would be sooooooo gooooood.

[​IMG]

17. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I notice that you are over the hill early in that you are grumping about grumping????? (;^)
    I grew up in the ‘50’s and ‘60’s. There were a couple of older ladies in town that had blue hair as a result of trying to avoid having grey hair. Normalcy has a wide range...or is it a abnormalcy that embraces all of us??? I don’t know....and I am not particularly grumpy today.

Chunkocaster and Toto'sDad like this.
  18. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Afflicted

I tend to think that the worst aspect is that the general defense of women with dyed hair in the thread is along the lines of "I don't mind, I still find them hot..." While I doubt this thread will change anything TDPRI is (and I've argued this before) a boys club that will slowly collapse as members age. I'm surrounded by young people who play/build/etc... and occasionally this site comes up and almost always the response is... 'they really don't youth there.' Despite how people on this site feel and what their intentions are... well it's coming off as a place that's very unwelcoming unless you either remain silent or conform.

I mean... some people tried to engage with this topic seriously but the OP has been derided and mocked just as much. You might say people should have thicker skins and that might be true, but if you're shy and a bit fragil (for reasons that aren't our business) you should still feel welcome in a place like this.

If you feel the need to objectify, complain, etc... well the world wide web has plenty of places specifically for that.

ElJay370, MilwMark and fendertx like this.
  19. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's

Grumpy Old Gyrl
    :confused::eek:;)

20. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I never noticed.
    Example?;)

nojazzhere and Greggorios like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.