Is this just the "grumpy old man" forum now?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jack Clayton, Oct 9, 2019 at 12:50 PM.

1. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

2. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Attention is costly. I’m still paying off the debt. The things I did to get it didn’t explain why I needed it, but time is never on the side under the lights.

3. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

I didn't ask you for an explanation, and I don't care either. You're a guest in someone else's house. The owners get to decide what can and can't be discussed. If you don't like a subject being discussed, you don't have to participate.

You may be a millennial but if you want to see an old grump, look in the mirror.

TG, Greggorios and Scooter91 like this.
  4. KT89

KT89 TDPRI Member

I feel like the only people who play teles are grumpy old men (who post here) and people in their 20s who play indie (and post on reddit)

5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Bones likes this.
  6. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

Yeah, but it's still not quite as grumpy as TGP;)

7. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

How's everyone's PSA level today?

8. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Tele-Afflicted

I'm 25 and I love this place. Always have since I first joined at 20. The people here are mostly pretty cool. Even if they don't always agree.

And you say baby boomers are pointing out stuff about younger people now? (Some of the things I don't understand myself though. And I'd fit in much better in the 60's than I do now). Have you ever seen pictures or videos from 1965 to 1980. A lot of the boomers had some groovy clothes, man. I don't really dress modern myself, so to speak.

I also wonder why does it matter if more young people join here? It seems that generally it's only older people that sit around and talk about "how can we get younger people", "maybe if we did this".

Somewhere there is a forum with people under 40 going:

"Yeah, but how do we get older people to join?"

When you find it let me know.

howardlo likes this.
  9. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Tele-Afflicted

Well, I'm in my 20's and love teles. Never played an indie song in my life and don't plan on it. :)

howardlo and 57fenderstrat like this.
  10. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted

I saw that pink hair thread, and I just thought it was kind of sexist at best and misogynistic at worst, and would only probably go downhill from there. I decided I didn't really care what the peanut gallery around here thinks about women or women's hair, or my hair or their own hair or any hair, so I ignored it!!

I'm not regretting that decision one bit either. I'm sure that some of the comments, don't reflect all that well on our members. I'm also sure there are a couple of priceless zingers in there somewhere that would have made me smile.

In any case the fact that it spawned an 11 page "Grumpy Old Man" thread that I certainly didn't and won't really read either, that seems to be about Generational bickering, seems to have confirmed my earlier doubts.

I usually try to ignore anything that starts with "school me on..." and anything that says "why do x's do y?" and generally any really click baity sort of junk that people love to fill up the "Bad Dog Forum" with. I'm also trying really hard to ignore "which pickup to use" questions, but that's harder for me.

I would go as far as to say that generally any thread that I see in the "Bad Dog Forum" which I give in to my better judgement over and comment on, I generally regret. Hopefully not this one.

The best thing about tdpri is talking about guitars, and really the best thing is the threads where you can actually learn to build guitars, followed by the fact that you can learn a little bit about nearly every telecaster related anything on here somewhere. Plus most of the time people are really cool and friendly and helpful, and you can get some great deals on stuff if you keep half an eye on the classifieds.

The next best thing is that the rules (no sex, obscenity, politics, religion) are pretty well enforced, even though some folks seem to want to cross the line if they can, I've yet to see it really spin out of control for too long. All of the generations seem to be guilty of that on any given day.

The worst thing about it is... well I guess this is the internet after all so as far as that goes, this site is about as good as it gets.

One thing is for sure, It's usually easy enough to just ignore stuff or not comment, or just ignore somebody altogether on a forum.

like the old saying goes "if you can't say something nice..."

If you really want to see grumpy out of control people of any age on the internet, go to your local next door pages...

11. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I promised myself I wouldn’t be grumpy when I got old.
    Then I got old.
    Being grumpy is tempting.
    I also promised I wouldn’t talk about my aches, pains, operations and ailments.
    No one wants to hear that stuff.
    People have their own stuff to deal with.
    You get tired, and worn out after awhile.
    It’s all about learning to cope, and empathize, IMO.

12. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Avocado toast forum?

Chunkocaster likes this.
  13. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Doesn't matter, many of those boomers turned into stuffed shirts as they aged. They are walking around in jorts, with white socks. They seem to have forgotten that older folks back in the day thought their dress was atrocious and their long hair was "rebellious" and undignified. Those boomers became what they once mocked.
    Newsflash: Young folks can be rebellious and wear "outrageous" fashions.

Note: that is not to say that I think boomers should try to pull off hip hop fashion or the like but they don't need to comment on or be degrading to fashion that they may not understand.

PS: I'm older than dirt.

14. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

That right there is really funny!

nojazzhere likes this.
  15. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

upload_2019-10-10_5-42-38.jpeg

16. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

This.

/eject

17. Scooter91

Scooter91 Tele-Holic

We could change it to the "humorless scold" forum...
    Nah

18. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Ignorance (of the future) > Fear > Anger

fendertx likes this.
  19. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

band name alert

20. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Meister

I love being an old guy and reading drivel, it fuels my fire. I believe every one deserves cheese with their whine!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.