Is this just the "grumpy old man" forum now?

Jack Clayton

Tele-Holic
Just saw a thread asking why girls are coloring their hair a certain way, followed by FIVE PAGES of what I assume to be a bunch of grumpy, condescending baby-boomers making snarky remarks about how stupid and unemployable any girl who dies her hair an unnatural color is.

Giving the original poster the benefit of the doubt, I'm assuming he he was genuinely curious as to why younger girls are interested in this trend. Sadly, he only got comments from angry old dudes. It doesn't seem like there are a lot of women 40 and under on this thread who'd be qualified to answer. And it's not because no female milennial has ever had an interest in the electric guitar. It's because this forum is weighed down by people who post things that would make younger women feel judged and unwelcome on this forum.

Here are a few examples of comments i saw

"They dye their hair because they think it makes them stand out... Just like everybody else."

"Because they want to look unemployable."

"Blah blah blah, carpet matches the drapes, blah..."

Really? Is anyone surprised that we don't get a lot of women, or young people for that matter, on this thread? Could it be because they're instantly aware they aren't welcomed here?

This isn't the first post of this kind I've seen. Folks really like to take a break from discussing guitars to whine about something the young people are into that they don't get. You are driving the younger audience away from this forum, and insuring they won't get the help they need when they've got questions about their gear.

Jack Clayton

Tele-Holic
"Really? Is anyone surprised that we don't get a lot of women, or young people for that matter, on this thread?"

No, but we get each other, that's what we're here for.

Really? Because I thought we were here to celebrate the guitars we like, share tricks of the trade etc. Thanks for letting me know this forum is actually just about excluding and demeaning people different from us.

catdaddy

Tele-Afflicted
Back when I was a young man, the internet forums used to criticize my to-the-waist length hippie hair, my bell bottoms, my love beads and Nehru shirts. Okay, so it was my uncle Ray, and there were no internet forums, and he hated my guitar playing too, but on balance I think this forum's generation of grumpy-old-men are actually more enlightened and tolerant than uncle Ray's generation. We're evolving.

Musekatcher

Friend of Leo's
Sadly, he only got comments from angry old dudes.

Ever noticed, anyone with any requirements or standards are quickly dismissed as "angry old dudes"? Ever noticed those with no requirements or standards are "easy going"? Its all about expectations, and apparently more folks are lapsing into adulthood without that benefit.

PS - I've been 18 years old a lot longer than any 18 year olds today.

Last edited:

blueruins

Tele-Meister
Maybe if we were more sensitive we could cultivate a more nurturing environment where all people who love telecasters would feel included?

And then maybe they would feel safe enough to disclose why they only color half of their hair...?

It’s a brilliant plan!

Jack Clayton

Tele-Holic
Back when I was a young man, the internet forums used to criticize my to-the-waist length hippie hair, my bell bottoms, my love beads and Nehru shirts. Okay, so it was my uncle Ray, and there were no internet forums, and he hated my guitar playing too, but on balance I think this forum's generation of grumpy-old-men are actually more enlightened and tolerant than uncle Ray's generation. We're evolving.
Considering most of this forums members had an uncle Ray, id say they're not evolving fast enough, and they have little excuse for being the new uncle Ray now.

RoscoeElegante

Friend of Leo's
Just saw a thread asking why girls are coloring their hair a certain way, followed by FIVE PAGES of what I assume to be a bunch of grumpy, condescending baby-boomers making snarky remarks about how stupid and unemployable any girl who dies her hair an unnatural color is.

Giving the original poster the benefit of the doubt, I'm assuming he he was genuinely curious as to why younger girls are interested in this trend. Sadly, he only got comments from angry old dudes. It doesn't seem like there are a lot of women 40 and under on this thread who'd be qualified to answer. And it's not because no female milennial has ever had an interest in the electric guitar. It's because this forum is weighed down by people who post things that would make younger women feel judged and unwelcome on this forum.

Here are a few examples of comments i saw

"They dye their hair because they think it makes them stand out... Just like everybody else."

"Because they want to look unemployable."

"Blah blah blah, carpet matches the drapes, blah..."

Really? Is anyone surprised that we don't get a lot of women, or young people for that matter, on this thread? Could it be because they're instantly aware they aren't welcomed here?

This isn't the first post of this kind I've seen. Folks really like to take a break from discussing guitars to whine about something the young people are into that they don't get. You are driving the younger audience away from this forum, and insuring they won't get the help they need when they've got questions about their gear.

Here you go!
https://www.amazon.com/slp/trendy-stuff/6te84a3ghdx649s&tag=tdpri-20
Since sharing opinions is so scary and repressive.

Pixie-Bob

Tele-Meister
giphy.gif