1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is this gonna be the end of your band?

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by blowtorch, Apr 22, 2020.

1. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

Never! We just have to wait. Got a recording session booked for the fall. If that's not possible that we'll reschedule. And reschedule again if necessary. Giving up music is never an option.

muudcat likes this.
  2. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

The band I'm currently in may not survive, gigs were already scarce, and now non-existent. The rhythm section plays in another band, and that badn ain't gigging either, like the rest of the world...

The duo with my wife obviously will go on, we're doing a livestream every couple weeks, and that seems to be working out ok.

I've gotten back to doing my solo blues as a livestream, it's kicked my butt big time, but I've gotten my chops back together too, so that's a good thing.

Looking at starting a straight blues band, and I'm not going to worry too much about gigging with it for a bit-will be fun to turn on the amps and groove!

Franc Robert

3. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I certainly hope not. We only do a handful of gigs a year anyway, because booking around these parts has been mostly overtaken by "booking agents" (really, agents who amass a stable of bands and only book their bands). Every time we've talked to an agent, they want last minute availability every weekend, and that just doesn't fit with our situation. But the weekly practices are still a great release even when there's not a gig looming on the immediate horizon.

4. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

My current band is made up of people I’ve played on and off with in various projects for the past 13 years. I can’t not see them in my life as friends so I assume we’d make music again. Our ages range from 38-45 so provided we all live through this I think we have some time left to make music. We are what at the Traveling Wilbury time frame?

5. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

--- The End ---

6. mpassell

mpassell TDPRI Member

I played 60 gigs last year with two different bands, one of them had 55 of them. This year? We got in one gig in March just before the shutdown as we usually take the Winter off. We had 25+ gigs booked on the calendar and they are going by the wayside every weekend. Even when things open up gradually it will be different with social distancing protocols. We are all pretty old, the leader turns 70 in August, I'm 65 the keyboard player is 68 and the baby in the band our drummer is only 59. We already had given up the late night bar gigs due to the grind and low pay and had been playing happy hour gigs at hotels, local outdoor concerts, campgrounds, festivals etc. All that stuff probably won't happen for awhile. I've done one live stream solo, although I'm not a solo acoustic artist or anything, it was fun but I really miss playing with others. I'm not hanging it up yet!

7. Terrygh1949

Terrygh1949 Tele-Meister

Yep we will survive! Can't hardly wait to get going again. Gigs we cancelled and, venues that booked us await our return. We enjoy what we do and, we do what we Love!

muudcat likes this.
  8. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

deleted

9. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

A quick proof of existence of my band - even under isolation :

Each of use played synchro on a "click" sent by our conductor, and recorded his performance as best as possible. Then the whole was assembled in this video above.

I earhen and used my LH-Ized FS-52 Lap Steel for the occasion... :rolleyes:

-tbln

ThermionicScott likes this.
  10. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

you're confident that they'll survive, then also?

11. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

So far we're all alive. When the time comes that we feel we can be together we will be. As far as venues go, I don't know. I really miss playing with them.

12. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

yeah, not really wondering about individual band members living or dying per se, more wondering if this is maybe the death knell for your band as a collective project.

the continued existences of these things are often so tenuous as is

Fret Wilkes likes this.
  13. grahams98

grahams98 TDPRI Member

I think people find a way to make it happen. One thing I may do is offer to bring in the band for free to a couple of places I know well. While that will shock my bandmates (I'm the no to "exposure gigs" guy) I think those venues will need a lift and folks are excited to get out.

14. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Our band is a very good bunch- best musicians and best guys to hang out with that I've ever experienced. Unfortunately, the KB player actually quit because he was so upset that I was suggesting we could get together and rehearse if we played outside on my lawn, stayed 6 feet apart, and maybe even wore masks. He was so angry at his perception of me ignoring the pandemic and possibly risking his life that he up and quit de-friended me on social media, etc. It's a shame because he is an amazing player....but he's always been a bit touchy and his anxiety levels caused him to totally blow up on me. Oh well. The irony of it is that I am taking the pandemic seriously, but as a scientist and going on the available information I think it should be very safe to play in the great outdoors if we keep our distance and wear masks and as long as none of us are coughing and sneezing and obviously sick. Yes, there is asymptomatic transmission, but keeping distance and wearing masks should prevent that possibility.

The rest of the band is still keen to keep our collective chops up in the hopes that we can eventually play out again. And even if we can't, at some point we can still record, and we do enjoy just playing together and developing new original tunes. However, it always required having gigs on the calendar to keep us motivated to rehearse with any decent regularity. Now that the calendar is a giant blank it is hard to get motivated. A couple guys have set up JamKazam and it kind of sort of works. For some reason I can only boot it up when I am connected to the Internet via wireless, and then it has terrible latency. But the program won't boot up at all when I connect to the Internet through the same router but with an Ethernet cable, as suggested. So I'm out on JamKazam. I have been suggesting we just do the old fashioned thing and get together in person on my front lawn. I think we will actually do that fairly soon and my neighbors will definitely enjoy the free concert and the opportunity to get some distraction from being on lockdown.

This thread reminds me that I need to break out our last set list and actually rehearse all of our songs so I am ready for when we actually do get back together. Last time we got together was in early March, so I'm getting a little rusty on a few of the songs....

15. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Locally restaurants were given the OK to open because they could not afford to stay closed .
    Now they cannot afford to stay open because there are no customers .

16. pointysideup

pointysideup TDPRI Member

We've got gigs booked up through to December 2021 (one of them is a wedding that was booked for July 2020 but has now been postponed til July 2021 :)) At some point this will all be over and assuming the venues survive and resurrect, we'll just pick up where we left off, turn up wherever's next on the list and try to remember all the chords and lyrics to the songs in the set :D

17. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

if you're not paying rent on a practice space that you can't afford without paying music gigs, i don't see why it would be the end of a band. and even then, you could just get another space later.

18. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

why not just start calling venues yourself? or try to crack open places that aren't already having music? or rent a hall?

19. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

My crystal ball tells me that small, outdoor events are more viable. Small groups reduce chance of super-spread events. Outdoors means more room for people to space out, and less breathing of others' exhalations. So, for example, I could see the opportunity to play small parties, weddings, retirement parties, etc., where there are less than 30 people or so, and it's outside in the fresh air with lots of room to spread out. Even if there aren't hard restrictions promulgated by local authorities, I suspect many people won't feel comfortable being in larger crowds in closer quarters for quite some time....

20. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

I think we'll be o.k. Garage Band has us working out original tunes so we can at least listen to and practice them. The only 1 not fully on board is the drummer but I hear he's coming around now that we have some initial recordings that sound decent.

I hope y'all have similar or better experiences but I know how tough it is out there. Stay strong!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.