Is this gonna be the end of your band?

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by blowtorch, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Alter

Alter Tele-Meister

Most of the players i play with used to do this for a living, so who knows where we'll end up when this is finally over, or what kind of a live scene there'll be left..

2. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

It has 30 years of existence, but has much evolved indeed ! We are still 3 original members in it : Drums, Conductor (and player), Guitar (the obscure Lefty Guy At The Left :D).

[​IMG]

From R to L : Chris (Percussions), Sergio ( on Squier CV Jazz Bass) and me (with my now sold US 2012 Std Strat)...

[​IMG]

It still continues, and everybody wants to continue, indeed ! We are all Amateurs... ;)

That said, tourist players are not accepted in our band : I mean Guys and Gals that forget reharsals and want to come to play at concert for making selfies like "Aw, Yes, I've been playing there". No way !

But it's us, OK ? :D

-tbln

tery likes this.
  3. Mikecito

Mikecito Tele-Meister

Yeah, me and the the other singer/guitar playing band/project partners are keeping the fires burning with live streaming to get to the other side of this.

Our bass players and drummers are questioning their life choices

4. soul-o

soul-o Friend of Leo's

I just rescheduled 30 weddings to 2021, so I don't think so. It might be the end of my good credit rating, though.

5. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I'm in three bands currently. One was semi-inactive, one was booked for 25-30 gigs over the summer (which may be all gone with the wind at this point), one has written off the summer and is booking shows for Fall and Winter.

The odd thing - I posted a video of the semi-inactive band on Facebook, and a whole bunch of people commented that they missed seeing us and hoped we'd be back after things settle down. It was really good to see that reaction.

The other question, of course, is how many venues are going to be left and how many bands are going to be vying for gigs in the venues that survive.

- D

Flat6Driver likes this.
  6. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Holic

every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end

nojazzhere and T Prior like this.
  7. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

"Is my band going to survive" might not be the most positive way of thinking in these times..

8. muudcat

muudcat Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

being a solo, I'm as hurtin as anyone but have switched to doing live streams and may start monetizing them. I know how some are shell shocked from this but music is eternal and we just have to get through it and I think musicians being what they are will find a way to come back, not all , but most

9. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Why would it be the end ? Sure things will change and there will be modifications to society, but LIVE music won't end, will it ? Why would it ?

Its a pause, and maybe, just maybe, thats not a bad thing ! As far as I am concerned there are a few bands that SHOULD take a pause and rehearse. Then come out fresh.

Maybe this can be considered a reset.

Take the time to improve your craft. We are only MEMBERS in a band, we are individuals first.

I wonder how many here that are in a band that worked on a reasonable schedule, are actually taking the time off to go over the set lists and improve on where we KNOW we needed improvement.

How about this, stay in contact with a few of your bandmates and discuss adding songs, practice them in preparation for when you do play again . I speak with my bandmate ( also close friend) of 15 years almost everyday, sure we are not playing out but we are talking about what we will do when we do resume, and we will resume.

Its a pause

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  10. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

And, it may be among the least of our problems to unfold in the near future...

I'm not generally overly negative but I like to be prepared as much as I can

nojazzhere and Flat6Driver like this.
  11. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Think of this yet another way. 10 or 15 years ago, before any Virus ever came to roost in our society, clubs were hiring bands all over the place, then all of a sudden almost overnight, they went to solo's and duos, most likely to save a buck , bands were put on notice.

Clubs started hiring solo / duos' for $100 or so

Then Clubs went to OPEN MIC nights, the HOST gets paid $100 ( or so ) and everyone else who wants to sing or play signs up and buys there own Beer. NO pay, NO band.

FB is full of " Come play at the Open MIC on XXX, Sign up begins at 7 PM , get there early "
    The only thing they didn't say was, "Bring money to buy your own Beer"

PRE Virus

read that again

PRE VIRUS

In my opinion its time for a change anyway. When LIVE music has reached the point where seasoned players are playing for free at an open mic , we have reached the bottom.

The decline of LIVE music has been amongst us for well over a decade now.

I'm fine with solo or duo's , they are still LIVE performances, I am not fine with OPEN MICS. Bring your $2000 Martin, sign up, sing 2 songs and pay $8 for two Beers in front of 50 other people waiting to sing 2 songs and pay $8 for two Beers.

It really is time for a change.

muudcat, bbigd0 and nojazzhere like this.
  12. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I think folks are sufficiently traumatized, that socializing in anonymous groups just for entertainment might be considered distasteful. Younger generations may shake this off, but I think the age groups that attend the average TDPRI band, are not. I've been cautioned about performing too soon, for fear of being considered reckless and disconnected.

13. blowtorch

Open mics are good opportunities for people who aren't in bands to get up in front of people and perform for a couple songs, to get a taste of what it's like, and it's also a good context to look for potential members of bands you're looking to put together.

Hey, you don't like open mics? simple, DON'T GO :)

14. blowtorch

Yeah I think that's a tangible issue. Also you have to wonder how many venues are going to survive this.

Add to that the reality of the tenuous and fragile existence of lots of bands....yeah, I think it's going to be the death knoll for lots of the weekend warrior outfits

15. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

I don’t think it’s the end of my playing career.
    I do think there is a lot of trepidation and uncertainty though.
    The bringing together of large groups of people to drink, dance, eat, sweat...is not something that’s gonna happen again with the flick of a switch.

16. blowtorch

And it was already steadily on the decline

17. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

No
    As gigs fall off the schedule we are still adding them on.
    We picked up 4 nights at the end of June and a weekend in July just yesterday.

18. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

my 2020 gig diary was looking good, best in years.
    I play small pubs/clubs so it doesn’t take a lot of punters to make the venue fill up.

19. blowtorch

That's awesome. I was speaking more in larger general trends

20. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

Church Praise band is still doing Sunday services with the Pastor, and youth director who runs the live stream. No practices , no new tunes , but we have a 80 song catalogue of tunes we all know so we gather an hour before the service time, run thru them once and then praise the Lord.
    Other band I miss dearly, they truly are my friends and could actually picture ourselves locked down together during this and still be alive ! We have been keeping touch phone calls , texts and zoom meetings. We are adding some new songs, some Stones, Eddie Money, Tonic, Susan Tedeschi.
    We’ve cancelled gigs till June ( duh!) but are playing it by ear.

Flat6Driver and dougstrum like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.