1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is this gonna be a problem? Cracked(?) baffle

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Bluego1, Sep 3, 2020.

1. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

Got this brand new yesterday. It’s some kind of particle board. The mar in the corner is totally smooth, feels like maybe paint just separated. The one between the drivers has a slight ridge to it. I don’t hear any ill effects from it. Will it worsen down the road? Put some glue on it? I hesitate to return it for the blowout price I paid to MF. Plus, the packing on this thing was so crappy the replacement would likely be in worse shape. Everything sounds great and I’m loving the amp except for this. Any thoughts? Thanks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

If you can get a suitable discount, replacing it with a ply baffle may be the way forward.

As it is, with all the vibrations from the speakers, I'd say it'll disintegrate over time ...

3. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I'd get that amp replaced, unless it's only the paint that's cracked. It's a good opportunity to see if yo even like it that well, if not return it for refund.
    If you are just bedroom playing it may be fine, if you play with any volume it may be a problem.

Bluego1 likes this.
  4. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

It will just get worse. Particle board has very little structural integrity. Once it gets wet or tears in any way, it's days are numbered. Sorry to say.

Send it back. No discount is worth that, IMO. OTOH, if you're not concerned with warranty, it's not too hard to make a plywood baffle. Just off the shelf homedepot plywood will suffice.

EDIT: Nah, I take that back. The baffle looks like it's glued to the rest of the cab. No go. MDF sucks. I mean, you could try filling in the cracks with glue. Make sure to take out the speaker first, and see all the damage. But I would just "takuh back nah!!!"

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    dogmeat and Bluego1 like this.
  5. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Cracked on both sides of the speaker hole. Lower left crack right at the speaker screw mount. Not a good sign, IMO.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  6. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

If that amp was dropped or otherwise shwacked hard enough to crack the baffle (it happened after assembly...you can tell), that means a speaker basket may be distorted, or perhaps something inside the chassis was jolted hard enough to make the amp die an early death.

Send an email with pics to the vendor and see if they offer you any remedy. You bought a new amp--just because you got a deal does not mean you should accept damaged goods.

7. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

NG... it will rattle sooner or later

Bluego1 likes this.
  8. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

^^^What others have said. Looks like it might have been dropped hard on the front or back of the box during shipping. The weight of the speakers did the deed. Send it back.

Mexitele Blues and Bluego1 like this.
  9. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

If I'd gotten that for a good price, I'd just glue doublers over the cracks. It's not as if it's going to be pulling 5g at Mach 2.

rangercaster, tintag27 and Bluego1 like this.
  10. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

The cracks can’t extend anymore lengthwise. The question becomes can something like your suggestion keep the board from degrading in other directions, I guess. I saw a suggestion whilst googling to repair particleboard using a marine epoxy that’s used to repair wood damaged by water. It’s very thin, so can get in nooks and crannies.

11. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

I repaired a broken chipboard sofa frame with Gorilla Glue and ply doublers last month. They were held in place with small self-tapping screws whilst the glue was setting and the fix worked just fine. It obviously depends on the contacting surface area size. I'd shape them to fit between the speaker frames/corners. You could always rotate the left speaker a few degrees and drill new screw holes regarding the lower crack if you're concerned.
    The repairs might be a haggling point if you were to sell the amp in the future of course...

rangercaster and Bluego1 like this.
  12. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

If that baffle can be removed and replaced w/ a similar sized plywood, that would be my preferred solution (after asking MF about an adjustment for damaged-in-shipping)
    Yes - un treated, it Will get worse.
    Peace - Deeve

13. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

What kind of amp is that? It looks like they jammed too large of speakers into too small of a space. They left such a small area between the speakers and the side of the cabinet that it was bound to crack.

Bluego1 likes this.
  14. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I would at least call them and see if they offer any remedy. That looks like a serious crack to me, it looks like it was dropped hard on it's back. You can repair it, but that's not an easy repair, at least $200 labor to put it back to new-ish condition.

Bluego1 likes this.
  15. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

It’s an Acoustic Lead G120. I’m going to send it back after the holiday.

Crobbins and tap4154 like this.
  16. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Send it back, or have it repaired.

Bluego1 likes this.
  17. Mutato

Mutato Tele-Meister

"Got this brand new yesterday."

That answers it all. LOL

Plus that Godzilla gif is hilarious!

Bluego1 likes this.
  18. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

I’m keeping it. Called and got relief from seller. Net to me is about $140, delivered, for a 120 watt 2x12 new, albeit damaged, combo. Crack seems to not have worsened and I’ve been working that thing for several hours. It’s hardly my only amp, so I should get ample time out of it even if it eventually fails:). Just AB’d it for my wife against my Orange (both clean with everything at noon) and she preferred this beast, by a decent margin. She likes warmth and this exudes it with the two twelves and fully open back. Anyhow, thanks to all for the advice.

19. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Cool.

You could cheap out and drip some water-thin CA into the cracks to stabilize them and call it good. After the CA cures, rub the area with a black Sharpie.

20. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

What’s CA?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.