1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is this fake? Thank you for your help!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by LBON, Jun 24, 2017.

1. LBON

LBON TDPRI Member

Hi everybody, a month ago I bought this tele´78. The serial number match with the year 1978 but yesterday I took the neck for calibration and I found another the date printed on the base 3 25 82. Also the jack is different than most teles. Is it fake? All the guitar looks very original to me and it sounds great but my question if this will be a problem in the future if I need to sell it. Thank you! Best

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
    shupe13 and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  2. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

I'm not an expert (they will be along shortly), but from what I'm seeing, it looks OK. Not sure about double string trees for that year/model and it's too bad a previous owner "upgraded" the jack mounting in that manner, oh well. Closer pics of the bridge may help determine if you may be able to eliminate those shims with a proper setup. If you can, you'd be miles ahead or re-shim it the "right way" with these:

http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_an...itar_Necks/StewMac_Neck_Shims_for_Guitar.html

As far as the number on the neck heel, I believe that in some years it was not a date, but a pic of the flat of the heel would be helpful!

Nice Color & I Think It's Not A Fake!
    Gene

LBON likes this.
  3. bluenote23

bluenote23 Tele-Meister

LBON likes this.
  4. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

The guitar looks real. The neck could have been replaced after the fact which would explain it's dating and also the need for the shims. I don't see anything obvious the screams "fake".

LBON likes this.
  5. LBON

LBON TDPRI Member

Wow ! I am new on this website and I am surprised for your quick response! Thank you for your replies, each one was very value for me!

6. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

Neck looks good to me. The jack plate is typical of Asian built instruments, BUT it's not unusual for those plates to have been retro fitted in place of the original cup. Today we fit an Electrosocket.

LBON likes this.
  7. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don't see anything that bothers me. It'd be interesting to see photos of the back side of the pickguard, the control cavity and the pickup cavities.

LBON likes this.
  8. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Friend of Leo's

Looks real to my eyes…. has the flatter upper contour (on bass string side) seen in that era.
    I wouldn't be too bothered by the S/N vs. date. CBS Fender was notorious for using leftover decals from the late 70's onward… The Strat and Telecaster books by A.R. Duchossoir discusses this. Also IME, I've seen quite a few Strats and Tele's from '78 to '82 where there were at least 2 years difference between body/neck & SN dates.

Cool guitar!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
    LBON likes this.
  9. LBON

LBON TDPRI Member

10. LBON

LBON TDPRI Member

Thank you !!

swany and DrBoBo like this.
  11. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

Be it a '78 or an '82, it looks terrific...great color. Unless you are running a museum or looking to sell it, the 4 year difference wouldn't really matter either way. I never base anything on the neck as they can and do get replaced after all those years, I go by the body markings. The cavity marks will answer your question if you must know, but sure looks nice.

12. LBON

LBON TDPRI Member

Thank you all for your generosity! The difference between years made me doubt about its origin. Now with all your incredible answers I´ve learned a lot! Thanks again! Attached a pic of the cavity. Best

Attached Files:

13. teleaddicted

teleaddicted Tele-Holic

Very nice Sienna Sunburst color right from the Dan Smith era.
    You won't see many around here where I live.
    Congrats!

14. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

I recently contacted Fender about the date stamp in a Strat and was told that they are not always date stamps, even though they look like dates. Apparently sometimes they are internal codes that have nothing to do with the date.

LBON likes this.
  15. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Afflicted

Take a look at markings on the volume and tone pots. If not covered with solder there should be 2 numbers stamped, one should be a 7 digit number like 137XXXX (might not start with 137 which is vendor identification) The first 2 XX should be the year date and the second 2 are week of manufacture. If the year date is between'78 and '82 you probably have an '82.

I bought a new Tele in 1988 and the headstock date was for 1983. The neck was dated '88 and the pots were too. It's a 1988 model.

The only thing that looks a little off to me is the headstock date has a pretty large space between the S and the first number. I'm not saying that makes it a fake, I just haven't seen any with a space that large.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    LBON likes this.
  16. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

I like it!

LBON likes this.
  17. LBON

LBON TDPRI Member

Attached the picture. I ve learned a lot with your comments. Thank you!!!!

Attached Files:

18. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Afflicted

Well, that's an early '78 pot for sure. So I'm real confused.

I've seen neck stamps on the end like yours has, but not sure what years they appear. By '88 they were putting them on by hand like in the early years. I'm not sure if the pickups were marked in '78. If they are the last 2 digits of a code are usually the year marked on the bottom of the bobbin. That might be one more way to determine the actual build date.

Also, please take a pic of the wiring at the bottom of the control plate (pots/switch). I'd like to see if that looks like it was done at the factory.

One other note. In The Telecaster book by A.R. Duchossoir he lists Sienna Sunburst as a standard finish from 1981 to 1984. He doesn't state, but it could possibly be a custom finish in 1978.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.