1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is this Classic Vibe a lemon and would you send it back?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by uwedinho, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Keep us posted. We will need pix of the new instrument!

2. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

First of all, those are just OK fret ends. They aren't great. They rounded over along the frets, but they didn't properly round/soften the resulting edges. Still better than most MIMs, IME.

The missing finish is a factory issue that cannot be rectified.

The horrible fretboard dot installation is a factory issue that cannot be rectified.

The mismatched ferrule is a problem...but in and of itself, not worth a retailer rejecting the guitar back to Fender. It should have been noticed and fixed by the retailer. Since it wasn't, the retailer should be responsible for the fix.

The jack cup is a minor factory issue that could have and should have been corrected by the retailer.

A little flash on the plastic parts is not an issue...but a great retailer would have removed it before putting it up for sale.

The pickup poles are not an issue.

The neck alignment is not an issue. Most screw-on necks are misaligned right out of the factory. You yank the neck this way or that; don't even have to loosen the screws, usually. Well managed shops do this before putting instruments out on the floor.

The dirty nut and corroded strings are issues, but retailer issues, not factory issues.

Too many problems, even from the factory. The retailer should have rejected the guitar when Fender had it sent it to them, upon initial inspection. There are also problems with the retailer, though. Even after they decided not to reject it, they should have fixed some things about it before putting it up for sale.

Bottom line, you got a bad one. This guitar, IME, does not meet Squier's average level of quality on their upper level instruments. Compared to most, it's a stinker. Send it back.

I have come to expect upper level Squiers to be better than lower level MIMs. The last two I have purchased have been nearly at MIA level in terms of fret work, and fit/finish. I would send it back, without thinking twice about it. It's a lemon that should have been sent back to Indonesia, or wherever retailer rejects go. It never should have been accepted by the retailer, let alone put up for sale.

If they sent me 50 percent back, I might consider it...but I don't think they will. They will just want to take it back and sell it to someone less observant.

Very sad that most retailers are unwilling to take Fender to task when it comes to issues of this nature. That's the only way a manufacturer changes: pressure from their retailers – not from their end users, who have no direct financial dealings with the manufacturer. Most retailers are too afraid of big dogs like Fender. They don't want to ruffle any feathers with them; too much competition out there to be getting on Fender's bad side.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  3. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

As others noted, if it had one or two of these issues, I might consider keeping it. All those issues simultaneously? Makes you wonder what else might be wrong with it that you haven't spotted yet. I think exchanging it was the right decision.

You're not dumping a spouse for someone prettier, you're just returning some defective wood and wires for a version that was assembled properly.

4. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I would return it for sure and not buy another guitar until you can play it first. You already have a guitar, right?

5. uwedinho

uwedinho TDPRI Member

I will! Thomann sent it off this morning. And I have expectations now after watching
    Looking at those close up footages, I think mine was indeed an absolute stinker and way below standard. His was made in 2019, mine was 2020.

I still respect those who asked me to keep it and don't see any problem or wouldn't compare with other CVs. I guess thats how they can get away with the one i sent back.

However, I will keep it as long as not ALL dots have fuzzy edges (I can accept 1, but not all of them...) and that the missing finish aint to be seen. I dont mind fixing/adjusting everything else, even changing/upgrading the ferrule.

An early Happy New Year from Aschaffenburg, Germany!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    Boreas likes this.
  6. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

As an owner of four CVs, I am going to cross my fingers for you; I love mine. They have been excellent guitars and I would like to see everyone be as satisfied with them as I have been.
    One bad apple...

tintag27 likes this.
  7. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

Another vote for sending it back. In fairness to Thomann, they should be fine with the return - be sure to email them the pics first.

8. teeny

teeny TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Thomann does have a shop, from photos pretty impressive but lost somewhere in Germany. I've bought quite a lot from them, they respond to comments/advice/ queries quite well on telephone/email. I am not clear - was this a listed as a NEW guitar or a store demonstrator/return or similar ? If new then I'm suprised at them, if pre-used etc - well you can always ask !!
    If you actually like playing this guitar, apart from the (?) minor faults then get it set-up by a good luthier, in Europe plenty around and looking for work these days.
    If not, phone them and tell them u want to send it back, their cost or whatever.
    I have bought mail-order new, relatively pleased, BUT a shop & in store trial is always best in my view...anyway I generally buy 2nd hand to get what i want.
    Good luck, Teeny.

9. javahut

javahut TDPRI Member

The one ferrule doesn't look mismatched to me. It looks like it was installed upside down.

Definitely the best thing to send it back.

Boreas likes this.
  10. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Slightly south and east of where I wannabe
    Send it back. :(

11. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

Not a fan of any of the Classic Vibes. IMHO the MIM Players are more ergonomic.

mmannaxx likes this.
  12. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Afflicted

That is junky. Send it back.

13. ratdoc

ratdoc TDPRI Member

If tiny cosmetic problems are going to bother you this much, maybe you should steer away from multiple inexpensive Indonesian guitars and save for a single more expensive one with better components and quality control. Just sayin'...

14. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

I have an Indonesian made Yamaha Revstar 420...it’s brilliant in every way. Only changes is I ditched the pups (reminded me a lot of Seymour Duncan’59s) in favour of a set of hotter Gibson 498T/490R humbuckers.

15. BerkshireDuncan

BerkshireDuncan Tele-Meister

Misalignment would be an issue for me. If the neck / pocket have enough wriggle room to correct it, then great- but if not, it'll be unplayable with the top E so close to the 'board edge.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  16. Diytelecaster

Diytelecaster Tele-Meister

The neck can be moved to align with the dots but it needs a new nut. E to e looks to wide and the strings seem very close to the edge.
    The mismatched ferule would drive me potty. The jack socket is easily sorted. Do you really like it, if so fitting a new nut (which alot of people do to new guitars) and a set of ferrules is less agro than sending it back.
    As thomman for a discount.

tintag27 likes this.
  17. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Holic

It's new. It ought to LOOK new. So send it back.

northernguitar likes this.
  18. crowhaven2000

crowhaven2000 Tele-Meister

Edit: I should have read all the thread before I posted, glad you sent it back....I would have sent it back immediately after making a phone call. I wouldn't pay for shipping it back either. I have a bunch of CV's and VM's strats and tele's, even cheaper Squier standards and none of them have any of those issues. Good lord send it back and get one that is perfect, all of mine are near perfect.. Thomann should be ashamed. My CV's were all made in China. MY VM's were made in Indonesia, but I bought them a few years ago before the "strain" happened. It looks like Fender isn't doing any QC on those factories right now. And Thomann didn't check that one out. They really should. It will hurt their business. All of my guitars were bought online. But I live in teh US. I got lucky 37 times I guess. I have had a few issues with Fender guitars, the squiers have been super nice.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    Boreas likes this.
  19. Auherre756

Auherre756 TDPRI Member

There's a certain level of quality you have a right to expect for any product you buy within its price point. Sure, you'd expect absolutely flawless binding, fit, finish, etc. from a high-priced instrument. Yet, some of the issues you describe shouldn't be considered 'acceptable quality' for any new instrument from a well-recognized brand. Replace it. Happy New Year.

20. mmannaxx

mmannaxx Tele-Meister

If new one is not better I would return it and save your money to buy a high end Mexican or an American made one. Custom shop is tops of course, but you can get a great Tele for less than CS prices. I am guessing things may cost more in Germany though. Maybe not Squiers as much as those from North America though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.