Is this Clapton noodling or no pon this Bob Marley track?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Boxla, May 19, 2020.

1. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Meister

There are numerous unreleased Bob Marley tracks that have been circulating in the trading world for decades. Many of them are from Bob's "bedroom tapes" which are numerous tapes he made while writing new songs. Finally, after years of begging and prodding from fans, the family released one of those tracks officially in 2005. It's called 'Slogans' and they hired Clapton to play guitar over it. It was hyped up pretty big that he was on the track. I got it the day it came out in several different mediums and liked what they had done with the track. The original is just Bob and his acoustic and a simple drum track. So I liked the new 2005 version but I have to say I was rather disappointed in Eric's playing. It was what I was looking forward to since I had heard this song thousands of times. It sounds to me like he literally just stopped the by the studio, listened to the track once or maybe nonece, said hit record and made one pass through. It sounds to me like what we like to refer to as "noodling" in the purest form. The solo at 2:10 sounds like uninspired noodling, the playing throughout sounds unimaginative and boring. Which on one hand would not be a big surprise if it was just an other track but this release was a big deal at the time. This was released on Bob's 60th b-day. It was hyped big time and a lot of eyes were on this release and the fact that Clapton was playing on it was advertised big time. Then I hear it and I immediately think, I could have played that, nearly anyone could have played that. Where's a little magic at least, where's some inspiration, where's his guitar genius? Am I am and my ears crazy or no? And I am a Clapton fan so I'm not bashing him, I'm questioning his playing on this one particular track.

Mick Sullivan and Chiogtr4x like this.
  2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Just my take, if it is Clapton:

First off, yes we could ' all play that!' Today-
    basically because we ( or at least me) have been listening to Clapton, or folks his playing influenced for 50 years.

But he was playing this style, breaking ground in the '60's - he wasn't listening to Clapton, like us- he was Clapton; and not of course the only one, but a young white man playing Blues, and making records and getting on the radio. A true pioneer. It's easy for us after many years of exposure to say, " I can play THAT!"

As for what he is ( if him) playing on this song, it fits the song, it's laid back.

You don't want fire-breathing Cream or Bluesbreakers stuff here.
    Plus, he really ( at the time) wanted to get away from the burden/hero worship, and just relax.

richiek65, schmee, gwjensen and 2 others like this.
  3. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

It might be: I'm not a big Clapton guy.

But the solo fits the mood of the song and doesn't try to steal the spotlight. That's usually considered a good thing.

It's mixed very far back in the track. If it was supposed to feature the guitar player the mix engineer did a bad job. Part of what you are hearing as lack of excitement is the mixing.

Listen to how "present" Bob's voice is compared to the solo and you'll hear what I mean

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    refin, OldDude2, schmee and 1 other person like this.
  4. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

That sounds like early to mid-70s Clapton to me, from the time where he became aware of Bob Marley. My best guess is that he played those parts and tried to make them fit the time period when the song may have been written.

3-Chord-Genius and Hatfield92 like this.
  5. Slap Axe

Slap Axe Tele-Meister

Exactly. Of course he could’ve gone off on the guitar, but this was a song celebrating Bob Marley. Even if it was hyped up that Clapton was playing on the track, it was released on what would’ve been Bob’s 60th birthday. It’s about Bob Marley.

Clapton did the right thing here, laid back noodling in smooth Clapton style with a mellow solo. I think it works great with the vibe of the song.

big jimmy, tomkatf and Chiogtr4x like this.
  6. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

I agree, it sounds nice. A pedal to the metal solo would be showboating, or something. Also, they probably had some killer weed, so everyone was mellowed out.

7. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Meister

you all are probably right!

8. Jlwctn

Jlwctn Tele-Meister

9. tomkatf

tomkatf Tele-Afflicted

No problem here... fits the song. Sounds like that period Clapton to me.

gwjensen likes this.
  10. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Meister

Could be Clapton, but he rarely played with a wah or delay on his guitar, especially during this time period. I guess they might have added that in later in post production.

Clapton is not the kinda guy to blow you away with his playing. However, try learning the lead to Crossroads (the live version) and notice how he effortlessly goes from major to minor scales, and in a live situation. Then you might have a new appreciation of his playing.

11. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Could be Clapton, It's got his flavor a bit for sure. But it sounds like the bridge pickup which he is less inclined toward. One of the beauties of EC is to NOT over play or just play a ton of notes. But yes, in today's world after hearing him and others play those styles for decades, many of us can play similarly ...no doubt.
    Music progresses, that doesn't mean those that built the stairway didn't contribute a lot along the way.
    Many of today's best B ball players are bigger and better than those in the 60's.
    Many of today's best music players are more accomplished than yesterday's too.
    Chuck Berry vs Robben Ford?

12. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Stoned?

Slap Axe likes this.
  13. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Afflicted

Boxla,

#1 - It's definitely Bob Marley which I totally get...I don't think it even needs much more, but I agree it sounds like the engineer really left it out of the mix "MaxVintage."

I have liked most of Clapton's collection, but there are times when he seems "lost" in the phrasing like he was looking for the right words "noodling around." I don't know what it's like to walk in his shoes, but we are talking about honoring Bob Marley here.

14. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

He served the song fine....

gwjensen likes this.
  15. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Its about right. You say 2005? I was a big Clapton fan, but I've been underwhelmed for the last 15 to 20 years by what he puts out. Its rare I hear that fire that made him God, but on the isolated occasion..

16. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

But he did noodle through start to finish.
    3:58 min, yeah the pasta should be al dente.:lol:

17. tubegeek

tubegeek Tele-Afflicted

If it's Clapton - and it does sound like his playing - it's performed EXACTLY the same way, same FX and constant fill style as the guitarist Al Anderson, who was hired as an overdub sideman to "sweeten" a track on Marley's breakthrough "Burnin'" album and stayed in the band afterwards. Al is the one playing the leads on the live "No Woman No Cry" which is surely familiar to all of us? Sounds just like this, right?

In other words, it's either Clapton sounding like Bob Marley's lead guitarist. Or it's Al Anderson sounding like himself.

cyclopean likes this.
  18. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Its fun to think that it is Clapton .

19. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Reggae is all about being laid back and melodic.
    I think he totally succeeded at sounding like an authentic Reggae player without spray-painting EC WAS HERE all over the song.
    My verdict: tasty and selfless. Serving the song.

gwjensen likes this.
  20. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Meister

whoa, wait a min here guys. Are some of you questioning whether this is Clapton or not playing on it? It's 100% him. It was very heavily promoted at the time, 2005 not the 70's, and credits him all over the album.

Al, joined Bob and the band for the Natty Dread sessions not Burnin' and Burnin' was not Marley's breakthrough album and Burnin' has very little overdubs. Catch a Fire, the album before has a ton but Burnin' is very Jamaican roosty. And keep in mind both Al and Junior Marvin played screaming guitar licks and solos all over Bob's music. It's what Bob wanted so to say this somehow fits into some " laid back reggae mode" is inaccurate. If you've ever been to a reggae show you'll see guitarists left and right playing flashy solos and licks.

EDIT--OK, I think there was a misunderstanding in my thread title. I was not asking if this is Clapton playing on this track, I was asking if this is Clapton simply noodling aimlessly all over this track or am I hearing things. I've listened to this track so many times that I would guess Eric made one pass through on it and was done.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    Alamo, tubegeek and Jim622 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.