Is this cherry wood?

Dave_11

Tele-Meister
Looks like cherry to my untrained eye, but I want to defer to the experts...
table.JPG

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Cherry wood has a unique quality in that it darkens after exposure to sunlight to a dark brown from the original honey color. You can have a table, for example, with vastly different colors depending on it's exposure to light.

I have a Seagull guitar that uses cherry wood and it looks like maple grain-wise. I think based on the various colors from honey to dark brown in what looks to be wood of the same age, I think it is likely cherry wood like you suspect.

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
My opinion is that the underside of that table does indeed appear to be cherry from color, grain and from the appearance of some visible sapwood. It would be good to see the top of the piece, too, however... ;)

Blue Bill

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
That's a beautiful table! I concur, it's cherry, one of my favorites for furniture.

Telekarster

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Thanks to all for the replies and confirmation!

Dude.... years ago I had the end tables AND coffee table that matched your table exactly! Dang it.... I gave the stuff away years ago when we moved. Had I known it was cherry wood, no way I would've gotten rid of em :(:confused:o_O

Quexoz

Tele-Meister
So...you going to cut it up and make a Tele out of it? Description: Vintage table leg "V" neck profile.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
You guys should check out some of these Antique Malls - especially in Northern North Carolina and points North up well into PA. They often have cherry dining room tables that are all but being given away. And some are Butternut and some Maple and some Walnut and some Mahogany and Birch and a lot of Cherry.

The older ones have wider and thicker pieces. However, once I get my hands on the tables, I just find some nondestructive use for them. Remember, solid cherry tends to be quite heavy.