Is this case snug enough? too snug? Better options?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cheap Trills, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Cheap Trills

Cheap Trills Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I love my Ibanez PM-100 but have always had it in an Ibanez acoustic gigbag that doesnt fit it well. I decided a few weeks ago that I should invest in a better, more secure, transporting option and reseached gigbags and cases. I couldn't find an Ibanez one made specifically for jt. I researched gigbags and cases for Gibson ES175 and ended up ordering this Crossrock fiberglass case based on a 175 owners review (dimensions are pretty similar to an ES-175, except a half inch thicker in the lower bout. ). However, it just arrived and I'm on the fence about sending it back. The lower bout is tight to get in, and the upper bout has a lot of room. Also, the case seems a little cheaper than expected with it costing about $200. Attaching pictures.

Curious of peoples thoughts on how secure this is, or if there are other case recommendations? Would you return it? I'm 50/50 and trying to decide.

IMG_20201001_1628419.jpg IMG_20201001_1628490.jpg

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Cheap Trills... "Tight" needs a bit more defining really.

My SG Std. came with a Gibson hardcase.
    It doesn't drop straight in but needs a bit of a push down at the bottom.... I could say it was tight, but it is also very secure and not going to move about.
    Your upper bout not fitting tight snug to the case shouldn't be an issue if the guitar is being held firm at the lower bout.

There are 3rd party suppliers over here that give very specific measurements for their cases, to avoid having to guess if a guitar will fit a particular case... No doubt there'll be US similar companies... or I'm sure you'll find custom case builders over there like these: https://www.castlecases.co.uk/guitar-flight-cases

Cheap Trills likes this.
  3. Cheap Trills

Cheap Trills Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The inner dimension of the lower bout is 16.1 with 3/4 inch padding. The width of the lower bout is 16.5 inches. If slides in, but sort of gets pushed downward, like the cases waist is pushing down on the upper curve of the lower bout, so the pressure is there and then on the bottom of the guitar. the top bout is completely free. The other touchpoint is the neck which seems pretty locked in place when the case is closed.

41144 likes this.
  4. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Send it back.

41144 and Cheap Trills like this.
  5. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted

For that money I would expect a nicer fit for your instrument. Take a look at a Godin Tric case. As long as your guitar would fit you could customize the interior for 1/2 the price.

Cheap Trills likes this.
  6. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

Looks perfect to me.

Fit, condition, everything.

$200 isn't a lot of money for a decent hard case, in my opinion.

But that's just me.
    I'd keep it.

:(

Cheap Trills and nojazzhere like this.
  7. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

It looks fine to me. I wouldn't worry about it.

Cheap Trills likes this.
  8. SomeGuyNamedRob

SomeGuyNamedRob Tele-Meister

I read the title as "Smug" and was morbidly curious of how a guitar case could be be full of hubris.

Cheap Trills and carpenter like this.
  9. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

I ran a big moving company with a custom crate shop.

The design goal is to compress the padding just a little all around to keep the piece from moving inside the case without creating any pressure points.. The lower bout looks good enough to me. You want a little compression in the padding to keep the guitar from sliding around, and you have that.

The upper bout area needs some more padding so that the headstock cradle isn't doing all the work. That space around the upper bout means you have a pressure point where the case cradles the neck. The cradle should not be supporting the body, just the end of the neck..

My opinion, if you can fix the upper bout padding it's OK. Otherwise, no.

Cheap Trills and 41144 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.