Is this blues, in your estimation?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Larry F, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Well, crap! This is great! Why didn't you just post this instead making me beg for it? Not blues as I appreciate it, but really well composed and produced. You are forevermore a real musician in my book, and not a hobbyist. Was this so hard to do? Musicians are constantly called on to put their stuff forward, no reason to be coy. Just post it and be done with it. Good stuff, I'll leave you alone, until the next time that you act like an opinionated hobbyist.

Where in Chicago did you play? What year?

2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm pretty confident that Paul Gilbert would laugh like hell if he knew a bunch of old Tele players were arguing over the musicality and "authenticity" of this youtube clip.
    To my observation there was no intention of playing blues music.
    It was a video made by a guitar teacher and a mercenary bass player, both of whom have had bands, but neither of whom was "playing music" in the demo.

They were demonstrating "a blues in A" for the sake of discussion about what a bass player does when a guitar player starts wanking and the whole thing gets boring.
    It seems they were pretty clear that the demo was about guitar wankery being a bore!

To judge the clip as a piece of music?
    Hilarious!

"A blues" is simply a form.
    AFAIK not all Blues music uses that form though.
    A music teacher (like PG) can play "a blues" with a student while not playing any actual music IMO.
    If one is practicing chord progressions or scales, are they playing music?

Did anyone see this as an attempt to play music?

3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Oh crap, and I thought this thread was just about to end up in a lovefest. Oh well ...

LutherBurger and telemnemonics like this.
  4. Larry F

I did.

5. Larry F

Hey, come on, let's keep going. I haven't even started on the sharecropper, boom-pushing slurs, and slurs they are since they involve people that I know and love. And what's up with fedoras and bloozdaddy talk? Walk up to a Chicago guy and call him a bloozdaddy to his face. It might be hard to find one, though, as they don't wear Hawaiian shirts and play strumma-strumma rhythm styles. Whoever those guys are, that is clearly not what I ever heard live in Chicago. Ever. Now, maybe at Smokey's Blooz Emporium in Fort Wayne, you might find that, but I stay away from places where guys can't play or sing in tune.

telemnemonics likes this.
  6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

OK so I just saw and heard this youtube in terms of playing for the sake of discussion, but maybe I'm being judgemental there about what constitutes music.

I like Paul Gilbert in conversation, and I find some of his guitar playing very entertaining in terms of technique and humor, but I would not put on a Paul Gilbert album and attempt to listen to music.
    Not saying PG does not play music, I just have no interest in his music, while at the same time liking him as a musician, or maybe as a guitar player.

For that matter, when I put on an Albert Ayler album it is not to listen to music either. I've learned to play some Ayler tunes on tenor sax, but not with the intention of playing his music. FWIW.
    On his albums I hear art and something else that's not art or music, but the music aspect is less attractive to me, if that makes any sense.
    At a Sun Ra show I hear music!
    At a Cecil Taylor show I experience something else much bigger than the music that's being made in the middle of his work, which again seems much bigger than just music.
    Actually right now I'm humming an Albert Ayler tune so maybe I'm totally nuts with words!

Some of my favorite Folkways recordings of tribal music I've listened to over and over, even learning some parts as sort of archival gathering of alternate approaches to forming, grouping and sequencing sounds with a musical instrument.

I've actually learned to play bits of tribal stuff that I was not able to recognize as "music", because it was that unfamiliar to me, even though I believed it to be music.

Eh?

Obsessed likes this.
  7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Played Chicago most recently a couple months back (certainly not my first time in that town), forget the name of the place

8. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

It's like ol' Lazza was just hopin' n' prayin' for someone to call it Chicago Blues, then BOOM!

blowtorch and Obsessed like this.
  9. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Manhattan has rivers on both sides.
    This does not stop it from having an East and West side.
    I'm sure Chicago has parts that are more East than the others, despite the lake.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Side,_Chicago

10. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

I have read Handy’s Autobiography. Weirdly it used to belong to a person who would later become one of the most well known people on the planet. cant name him because of what he did. I no longer have the book.

I have also been to Chicago blues clubs. The Halstedt street ones. Saw Otis Rush and others. Have also been to the Maxwell St. Market (both locations) and actually bought a few blues cassettes at the previous one featured in the Blues Brothers. I suppose you could ask if they played the blues.

None of this makes me an authority on blues, Chicago blues or East Chicago blues. I do like Freddie King though and he played instrumentals that I would consider blues.

Cheers,
    Geoff

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  11. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

Didn’t hooker wear a homburg and occasionally a trilby?

12. dlew919

Wait wait wait .... you can name him because if it’s who I think it is he’s died since.

13. dlew919

And yes a fedora. Stand aside.

14. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

Nobody's questioning his authenticity, so stop making up words.

:D

dlew919 likes this.
  15. Kingpin

Kingpin Friend of Leo's

I spent a good bit of time in the late '70s-early '80s in various Chicago Blues clubs like the Checkerboard, Wise Fools and Kingston Mines (the old Kingston on Lincoln Ave., where chunks of the ceiling were always coming down, before they moved to Halsted).

In my opinion, Paul Gilbert could hang with just about any of the great guitarists I saw there, if given the opportunity to play real tunes with a legit blues singer and band. The video is a demo of some blues-based jamming, and shouldn't be taken as anything more.

16. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

It’s a demonstration. It’s demonstrating that even something as innocuous as a goofy little I-IV-V jam can inspire an internet pissing contest.

17. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

Uh, Larry F, my comment was directed to the thread, not just to you. You might read a bit about Paul Gilbert so you at least know about the person you are demeaning. He does a nice little Haydn sonata on his Ibanez Fireman that would probably infuriate you with its precision and, heaven help us, humor. And he does like to fool around, so not every living record of his playing is another attempt at being Beethoven. And sure, I've seen and heard lots of blues, including live in Chicago clubs, but I'm not talking about myself and would never insert myself as an expert in the theory/conceptual verbal cage matches you so clearly enjoy, particularly when the fight is over a word that has entered the mainstream -- you don't own it -- and, like "love," has become vague. I'm sure you know way more than most of us. Congratulations. It sure is weird to hear someone who claims to love music more than everyone else be such an angry fighter about it.

18. cactusrob

cactusrob Friend of Leo's

This is what I was thinking, too. The sort of sterile studio atmosphere there probably didn't lend to the grittiness that a smoky (or non-smoky) blues club would. The vibe would definitely be different if you put those same three in a club at night with that whole atmosphere going on.

19. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Unless the singer's lover done gone off and left them, cheated on them, or kicked them out of the house, then it ain't the blues. No singer in the clip = no blues.

If the same situation is described, but with a pickup truck = Country.

Addendum:

Inferred sex and drug use = Hard Rock.

Same situation, but with mentions of hellfire and rivers of blood = Death Metal.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  20. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Lost in the 909 trying to find my way home
    It’s Blues. A little like early Robben Ford.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.