Is this baja authentic?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Faffo, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Faffo

Faffo TDPRI Member

First post here. I've been following this forum in a while but i've never needed anything...
    Now i'm about to buy a fender tele baja (my first tele). the price is great but i've some doubts about it's authenticity.
    [​IMG]
    the switch is said to be 3-way (wuut?) and also the guitar strap button seems different from any other baja i've seen.
    [​IMG]
    the headstock tough seems perfect.
    can you guys help me?

2. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Strap button looks like an American standard locking type. Stratocaster switch tip, they only push on/pull off an get lost easily.

3. Faffo

Faffo TDPRI Member

I do not really care about them. was just a difference i noted from the other baja i've seen. The 3-way switch is a shame but yeah it's so cheap that i could replace it back with it's original 4-way if I want to.
    But those 2 changes and the dirty cheap price (a good 30% less than every other one i've seen used here in italy) are making me scared of a possible scam.

4. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Friend of Leo's

It looks genuine but it's a shame about the switch. The four way is a really good part of the Bajas. Probabaly easy enough to replace the existing three way one but there is a lot of wiring going on behind the cover.

5. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Get a new 4 way, and buy the thing!! You can always change the strap locks for regular buttons later on, also the switch tip - good luck! ;)

6. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Friend of Leo's

The stock 4 way switching included the S1 volume pot switch. The locking strap button and switch tip are cosmetic but wiring changes are something else. Are the pickups original?

7. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

Looks like a modded Desert Sand Baja to me.

A bit odd with the wiring though?

If someone had wanted to make a Baja into a vintage style Tele wiring, you would have thought they would have taken out the S1 volume control too.

I like the four way in my Baja, but I never use the S1 push switch. If it ever failed on me, Id change the guitar to a simpler 4 way switch set up and get rid of the push switch pot.

The rest of the guitar looks perfectly legit to me.

8. Faffo

Faffo TDPRI Member

you guys are reassuring me quite a bit. I was so excited when i saw it and so sad when i noticed the differces...
    So between this one and a MIM standard you would that this one? (same price of 400€)

9. JustStartingOut

JustStartingOut Tele-Holic

Down in the park with a friend called Five
    I have both and would jump on the Baja, re-wired and all. If you can re-wire back to a 4 way on your own you are ahead of the game, if not have someone else do it and you still win. Like my standard, love my Baja.

Just double check on those pickups, they and the 4 way are what make a Baja a Baja.

10. Faffo

Faffo TDPRI Member

i've also got this shot from the bolt on plate
    [​IMG]

any tip in what to look out for the pickups? this didn't even know that the guitar came with a 4-switch... i'm guessing he bought it used from a shop. So he didn't say anything about custom pickups

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  11. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Looks like a legit Desert Sand color Baja to me. Strap-Lok buttons are a common addition and work as well as a stock one if you don't use Strap-Loks but not so much a Strat switch tip. You can trash that and just put on a barrel tip.

Assuming it's few years old the pickups are a Twisted Tele and Broadcaster I believe. Someone may be able to post a pic of them and the base plates to make identification easier. Swapping out the 3-way for a 4-way is no big deal if you can solder but like the others that change also makes me wary of a possible pickup swap so that I would want to verify.

But all thing considered if the price is that good even if it needs a little work or upgrading you've saved enough to do it.

12. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

And the neck profile, a 'soft-V', can't tell from the picture.
    Another agreement that the strap buttons are for an aftermarket strap lock systems, this could be any of the brands of those. Easy to change out or get the rest of the locks to put in your strap.
    The 4-way switch can be less than US$12 online, and very worthwhile (I've added it to several Teles).

What I'll see people do is want 'more twang' so they swap out the stock Baja pickups that are better for rock/blues. They may have swapped out the controls at the same time to go 'traditional Tele', if they did that the new pickups might be 'boutique' and you could trade for authentic Baja. No way getting around soldering though.

13. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Friend of Leo's

I've seen those original pickup parted out too many times to trust someone's word on it. See if you can verify the type of pups included.

14. Faffo

Faffo TDPRI Member

And how can i do that on the fly?

15. sshan25

sshan25 Tele-Meister

lt's legit.

16. soulman969

By looking at them. Then again now that we've explained away some other concerns that really aren't concerns how much do you trust the seller and what recourse do you have it it doesn't have the original pickups?

17. Faffo

Faffo TDPRI Member

the seller seems nice, just a bit inexperienced maybe. I'm prone to think the pups originals. If they're not... well they can be replaced if they're too bad. this guitar has to stay with me for a lot of time. Electronics can be replaced. The "guitar" itself was more of a concern. But you all seem to say the same thing. So i'm pretty relived right now

18. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Desert sand was probably the least liked finish of the original Bajas, but if you're fine with it then that's all that matters.

Another thing to watch for is the weight. Some Bajas are seriously heavy. Again, that's a personal thing, but it's something you should be aware of.

The Baja is a significantly nicer model than a Mexican Standard.

MickM and soulman969 like this.
  19. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Looks legit and is very close to being stock if you have the right pickups in there. The 4 way is an easy mod and most people don't miss the S1....I love it personally. Use the out of phase parallel sound quite a bit to fake strat funk tones.

20. soulman969

I would guess they are but if not and the price is as good as you say then you've saved enough to upgrade them if needed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.