1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is This Asbestos? Silvertone 1482 Content

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by keithb7, Dec 30, 2015.

1. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Hi folks, a friend of mine asked me to take a look at an original Sears & Roebuck Silvertone 1482 amp. I don't think it has ever been opened up since new. Speaker is a 1963 Jensen C12R. All the tubes are original and are labeled as Silvertone tubes. They look like RCA to me.

Upon removing the chassis I found this white stuff up in the top. I suspect this may be asbestos. I do not want to disturb or touch it, if it is. See the white cloth in this photo. Tucked up in the cabinet on top of the chassis. If it is, how best to handle it? Get the amp out of my house, reassemble it with a respirator on? Then kindly ask him to take it back?

[​IMG]

2. Chritty

Chritty Tele-Afflicted

Doesn't look like it to me but don't take my word for it

3. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

what does it smell like? :lol:

that wally dude would know the answer....

in case you didnt know: dont inhale it
    mesothelioma isnt a tickle

4. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

If it is asbestos, get some aluminum heating duct tape, and very carefully apply it in such a manner so that it encapsulates the asbestos and maintains the heatproof shield. Wear a properly rated respirator while doing so, along with a tyvec suit ($5-10) and disposable gloves. Throw it all in a trash bag when done and seal it up.

5. Grabsplatter

Grabsplatter Tele-Holic

Google shows no results for Silverstone amps and asbestos, which while not hugely reliable is slightly reassuring. Not sure why there might be asbestos in a guitar amp. Wasn't it used as heat insulation? OK, if it was above the valves, that would make some sense, but plenty of amps have valves without the need for asbestos. Hell, how many millions of valve radios were made without any asbestos, and they worked fine.

Having said that, best take no risks, eh? Some things you don't want to learn the hard way.

6. piece of ash

piece of ash Friend of Leo's

I'll answer as best as I can... Asbestos is a light gray color and heavy... your stuff appears to be neither.

7. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I agree. I once worked in a building that builders identified this as we worked. We all cleared out immediately as their were/are VERY strict laws on this matter. :)That was 1980.;)

8. motor_city_tele

motor_city_tele Tele-Afflicted

Asbestos was commonly used in chemistry labs when I went to school. They were called asbestos bunsen burner mats. That was the 70's. I think the Chem Lab was next to the teacher's smoking lounge, right across the hall from the pay phone. Not everything was better in the 60's and 70's, I guess.

9. hackworth1

hackworth1 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

10. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

not to make too much light of it, but asbestos seems like too expensive a material to show up in a silvertone ...

11. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

I would say it is. Have seen it a number of times on tabletop radios and console hifi units. Asbestos was cheap. Not a big deal handling it in our amps. It is a problem if you inhale the fibers, wear a N90 respirator if you plan on removing it. In asbestos abatement in buildings they use tyvex suits but then again they are really going to town there.

Generally you wet it down to capture the fibers as you disturb them. Gently pry the stuff off and bag it. Gloves are not a bad idea, I would do it outside. Then I would vacuum the cabinet down, wash and let dry. Vacuum out the chassis also and you should not have any concern in the future if you mess around inside again.

12. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

My high school still used em only 2 years ago! Haha.

13. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

Edit out

14. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

The key is you don't want individual microscopic fibers floating through the air and into the room and then someone's lungs. Take it outside then first get all the suspect material wet. Remove it, bag it, tape it shut, landfill it. Wipe down the amp with wet, tacky rags, bag, tape, and toss the rags. . Seal any suspect areas with good, durable sealer or tape. Ideally all while wearing an approved respirator and a tyvek suit or old clothes you can throw away. When done take a good shower so any fibers on you wash down the drain. But if things are wet fibers are unlikely to get into the air. No vacuum- that could get particles airborne next time you use it in your house. No blowers, blow dryers, etc. I worked on ships and was a certified asbestos removal manager.

15. ItchyFingers

ItchyFingers Tele-Afflicted

Mask on, gloves on, lightly mist with a fine gentle water spray. Put in plastic bag. Seal it. Dispose of it in an approved hazardous waste facility (as if that is going to happen).
    Drywall/gypsum board type things were once full of asbestos and steam heating systems. Vehicle brakes had asbestos forever which filled the air for years. Clutch discs were the same. These wear. The particles didn't dissappear. They entered our lungs *cough*. Asbestos dust tastes kind of sweet. Confirmed. Air impact wrenches exhaust a lot of air right at the asbestos filled target piece. Clutches were a specialty of mine.
    I recall yelling at an old mechanic as he used an airline to blow the dust and dirt from truck breaks during an overhaul. We used asbestos blankets when welding to protect parts. We used asbestos paste to protect parts when welding. Then again we used lead for body work and for adding weight to police vehicles for handling purposes.
    PCBs still fill transformers. PCB oil was a great lubricant for our pliers.
    There was an anti grey hair formula that contained lead not so very long ago.
    We human beings have so ruined our pretty world. We don't clean up anything until we are forced to. We're slipping folks. Shame on us.
    It's not the hype surrounding what we have proven to be harmful that worries me.
    It's the lack of hype surrounding what we are not being told about thousands of other harmful things that worries me.
    How many open air nuclear tests were there again?
    How far has the earth been knocked off it's axis over the last millenium by natural events or otherwise?
    How much yellow snow has been eaten?
    We are so doomed. I have breathed so much bad stuff, *cough* so much *thud*.

16. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

Looks like cardboard to me, but my opinion isn't worth anything. My 1482 didn't have it.

17. brianswindall

brianswindall Tele-Afflicted

I think it is asbestos. My 50's Fender tweed has it on the back panel. It was used as a heat shield. Silver tape is fine to cover it with.

It is important to note that asbestos was considered a wonder material in the 50's. My father speaks of using it wet as a modelling substance when he was a boy. It could do a lot of things and people used it in everything until it's now-known health effects came to light.

People freak out now when the word asbestos comes up. If handled with care (not let particles get airborne) small amounts of it is not that big of a deal. Wetting the material with water, as mentioned above, is how to do it. A little piece on the back of an amp is different than, for example, a school's duct work being full of it where there is acute and prolonged exposure.

18. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

I think it is too. The location is on the wood adjacent to the chassis. Heat from the tubes and transformers would get the wood fairly warm. Canada has different manufacturing and safety laws. To be CSA approved, that particular model of amp may have required a heat shield, to be able to be sold in Canada. Quick simple fix. Staple in some asbestos, and start shipping them by the 100's to Canada. As seen in other posts, asbestos was used in amplifiers. It was convenient. I am hoping Wally will check in too to offer his experience. However, my USA friends may have never seen this in their Silvertone amps.

19. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

A couple more close ups:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

It it has a slightly sweet, lemony taste then it's asbestos.

Just kidding.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.