Is this an original finish?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by telideli, Jul 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Fender had no such standard finish in 1978, but of course it could have been a one off custom color.

2. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, whoever thought to refinish that guitar came up with a very original color! :lol:

3. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

That was an original finish but I dont think it was offered in 78.

Would need to see the neck off and pickguard off for a better look.

4. ole AZ

ole AZ Banned

It looks pretty well done to me, and this isn't exactly the type pf thing someone would make up...maybe if it was a super rare finish on a blackguard someone would fib, but on a 1978...I don't know. I don't know any facts, but it would seem like if they were making it all up, they would also be asking a lot more for it.

5. Telemarkman

Fender's Standard Telecaster finishes in 1978:

Blond (501)
    Olympic White (505)
    Black (506)
    Natural (521)
    Walnut (522)
    Antigua (523)
    Wine (524)
    Tobacco Sunburst (525)

In 1982/83 Fender offered a color called Emerald Green (546), which may be the same as the guitar in question, but I must admit I've never seen this color myself.

6. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Wouldn't 1982 be the last year for the original string through body and the three-saddle bridge? I think that case came into play somewhere around 1978-1980 and I also think that the S8 serial numbers were used all the way into 1982 so I suppose that the guitar could be completely original and is just a later year than the seller thinks it is (due to the serial number). You see very few Teles listed as 1979-1982 because of the serial number issue.

My 1981 has the same type of wiring with the white sheaths around the pickup leads and it would have come with that case if the store hadn't swapped me a factory tweed case from a '52RI when I bought it new.

7. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Friend of Leo's

There were see-through colors later on in the 80's.
    1982 showed Candy Apple Green, Emerald Green (very much like the one in the picture), Sapphire Blue, Ruby Red...all colors that you would question if you saw them because of their rarity.
    I have never seen this color in 1978.
    The way Fender was set-up then was very anti-custom anything.

That being said...they made one of everything.

8. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

You have to remember too - a '78' Tele could have been made up to '83. Fender printed too many 'S8' stickers and kept re-using them until the Tele toploader came out. Slack would know , but there's details and features that indicate a later than '78 build date, like a grounding star in the floor of the cavity, with a metal strip earthing the pickguard and plate and white plastic insulation on the wires. The neck date wouldn't help, the stamps were indecipherable red alphanumerics that even axesperts can't work out. All that would indicate orgiinality is a neck-pocket serial sticker matching the headstock. It would be good to see that to check for any traces of an earlier finishes there.

And the 'old' Fender, even in CBS days - never say never. There were some experimental translucent candy finishes with grain visible. I've seen a red wine one. Tends to be thick poly which chips off like the 70's poly neck finish. I'm betting that may be originally blue, not green. The 'green' might if old be due to aging of the poly. Pity we can't see under the pickguard. The only thing against that being the case, is the ones I've seen are ash, and that looks like alder or poplar.

[​IMG]

9. Joe-Bob

Joe-Bob Doctor of Teleocity

Looks like an MIJ color to me. They have offered a number of nice trans colors.

10. John Scott

John Scott TDPRI Member

its also AWFUlly clean to be a 78. IF it is original,, it must have been a ONE OFF custom color... it wasnt played much

11. kinkstah

kinkstah Tele-Afflicted

My first thought when I looked at the picture : seems like it's an emerald green Tele from 82-83, to me.

12. Telemarkman

That's what I implied too.

13. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

I think a white tophat switch is weird looking. Is that a modification?

14. DOGGONE

DOGGONE Tele-Meister

According to the finish specs in my book there was a candy apple green in '82-'83. The S8 serial no. indicates '78 along with headstock decal. The other thing, that doesn't show up very well in the photos, is the neck pocket. That used to blend into the neck at the 17th fret in the '50's and '60's and changed in the '70's, and wasn't corrected until '82.

15. alexpigment

alexpigment Tele-Afflicted

The neck looks way too clean to me. Looks like the same finished used on my MIM 72 deluxe. Most 70s teles have an orange tint on the headstock face, from what I've seen.

Never seen one in this color, although I guess it's possible.

16. Telemarkman

Candy Apple Green (545) had a metallic undercoat, so you couldn't see the wood grain.

You're correct about the flatter upper shoulder (and lack of "notch") on the 70's Teles. This one seems to have the 70's shape, so I guess that excludes an 82/83 production body. A late 70's body could still have been finished as late as 1982, so in theory the color could be original (but not very likely, I admit).

17. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

If you see a guitar in a finish that wasn't offered in that model year, and the seller doesn't have evidence that it was a special order, then it's best to assume it's (a) a refin or (b) an original finish on a body from another year, another factory (i.e. MIJ) or another manufacturer.

If you win the auction and it and it turns out to be exactly what the seller claims it is, then you can consider yourself pleasantly surprised. In the meantime, it pays to be skeptical when you're deciding what to bid.

18. fyshnutz2

fyshnutz2 Tele-Meister

Bumping this thread to throw fuel on the debate. I recently purchased an 1978 emerald green telecaster (I wish the pictures were still available from the now banned original poster), exactly what this post is about.

The longer story and my obsession with 1978 emerald green telecaster. I have had 2 of these now. The first one I bought in about 1993 for $600. Played it some but never made any changes to the guitar, it was purchased as a 1978 100% original and I left it at that. I sold the guitar in a fit of stupid in 2000 for $700.

Here are a couple of pictures I scanned of the only photo I have of this guitar. The only really identifying mark on the guitar was one small chip above the input jack.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Emerald #2 coming up as soon as I take a couple of pictures

19. fyshnutz2

fyshnutz2 Tele-Meister

Now as I said I have had 2 of these, both identified as 1978 when I purchased them. #2 had been modified with a humbucker route and having schaller tuners installed and a new bridge installed with a SD humbucker, that's the bad news. The good news in the owner had saved ALL the parts that came off the guitar and were included in the sale: original tuners, pickups, bridge, ashtray, pickguard & OSHC.

Here are some pictures. I stashed the original parts for now and installed Wilde Keystone pickups (fantastic by the way), a NOS pickguard (I didn't want to drill holes in the original to top mount the PU) and an older fender bridge with G&L brass saddles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Knowing what I do now I would say this was a 1982 tele. But how did I stumble of 2 nearly identical guitars, and they even feel the same, 20 years apart both identified as 1978? And what of the mystery Transparent Emerald Green color, when was this produced? I have tried to find a Fender catalog from 1978 and they don't seem to exist, does anyone have an explanation for that?

It's quite a mystery but when #2 arrived it was like being back with an old friend.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.