Is This An Example Of Auto-Tune?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bill Sheehan, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Bill Sheehan

Bill Sheehan Tele-Holic

Just heard a song on the radio by Elton John and Dua Lipa called "Cold Heart".

The thing that really jumped out at me was how "mechanical" Elton's voice sounded; is that Auto-Tune at work?

2. no doz

no doz Tele-Meister

correct, autotune with a ton of other processing as well. it's worth noting that autotune has the ability to be highly transparent, so in this instance it's more of an aesthetic choice than anything. a feature, not a bug

3. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Poster Extraordinaire

Precisely this. We've all heard Auto-Tune way more than we're aware of; it's a tool that's great at what it does (and, contrary to what seems to be popular belief, still requires some talent/ability on the part of the singer if you want the end result to sound at all natural). The obvious, effect-y use of Auto-Tune came up in the recoridng/mixing/whatever of a Cher song where there was zero time/buffer/whatever between was was actually sung and whatever the "correction" was, causing that unnatural-yet-catchy effect.

Tonetele, no doz and Bill Sheehan like this.
  4. Bill Sheehan

Bill Sheehan Tele-Holic

Ah, "Do You Believe In Life After Love...?" I remember it well. She sounded like R2D2 !!

Tonetele and SixStringSlinger like this.
  5. Peegoo

Peegoo Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, that is heavily autotuned.

Bill Sheehan likes this.
  6. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Poster Extraordinaire

I couldn't be sure if that was the title, but yes, that one. Not the first use of Auto-Tune, but the first (at least well-known) example of someone exploiting that particular effect.

And neither Cher nor Elton are slouches in the singing department!

Bill Sheehan likes this.
  7. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

Heh, I played one of my terrible home ditties to a friend the other day. He remarked my singing had improved a lot. My mouth went “Thanks,” but my brain went “Nope.” :)

Pax/
    Dean
    p.s. it was the Waves Tune Real-Time version, which is surprisingly okay and reasonable when on sale

Bill Sheehan and no doz like this.
  8. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

The song was called 'Believe.'

- D

Bill Sheehan likes this.
  9. Bill Sheehan

Bill Sheehan Tele-Holic

Dean, that'd be a great title for your next CD: "Terrible Home Ditties"

TokyoPortrait and StrangerNY like this.
  10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Stacy Musgrave's new release is just soaked with Auto-Tune and other processing. Horrible. I dislike all these voice processes. Folks think I dislike hiphop in general but the only aspect of these that forces me to turn the composition off entirely, are these heavily processed voices.

Man, you know if someone with ALS needed some means of delivering spoken voice or song, I would be all for that. But people with decent voices should just practice more, and stop using software if their voices lack the intensity or character or whatever it is that sells downloads. Or do what Carlos Santana does - just let someone else sing for you!

Bill Sheehan likes this.
  11. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

I’ve heard it a lot on indie rock things and I think it sounds totally stupid and inappropriate in that context, however subtle it is. But it’s being used appropriately here as a sheeny type of effect.

Personally I don’t really care about “cheating”; what’s really mind boggling about auto tune to me is that it’s never been easier to do micro punch ins/comping. In an application where the rawness or naïveté matters, why would you waste your time not getting the real thing? What are you saving, an hour? Still going to have to be edited to death.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    Bill Sheehan likes this.
  12. no doz

no doz Tele-Meister

vocal comping is happening in most recordings regardless of autotune use, and one could argue that punching in individual words / phrases is more of an unnatural process than simply massaging or stabilizing the pitch when necessary on an otherwise excellent take

like @SixStringSlinger said, a talented singer laying down quality takes is still necessary for autotune to function at its best and not leave behind audible tuning artifacts. if you can hear the vocal tuning on a recording that was crafted by actual professionals, in nearly every instance it was a creative choice. whether or not that is a tasteful creative choice is a bit of a different conversation

the rise of autotune has much less to do with malaise or a shallow talent pool, and way more to do with ease of use, the modern musical zeitgeist, and the desire to release a competitive mix

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.