is this action too high and if so how to fix it

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by grantbeddell, May 13, 2021.

1. grantbeddell

grantbeddell NEW MEMBER!

So I just upgraded my squire mustang bridge to a Bigsby copy and wondering if this action is too high and if it is how can I fix it. I have no problems playing it but am wondering what will happen to the neck if I keep it this high. I included pictures hoping to help yall figure out an answer

Attached Files:

2. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

It's way too high.

It's hard to suggest a remedy without seeing it in person.

3. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

It's way too high.

I would shim the neck. Can"t see any other solution. Take the neck off and see if there is anything in the pocket tilting it the wrong way.

JL_LI, Laren, Cyberi4n and 4 others like this.
  4. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

Way too high.

It looks like the tunomatic style bridge you used has too much height for the current neck angle - it's an easy enough fix but you'll have to remove the neck and add a shim or two to get enough pitch to work with the bridge.

A good way to get the pitch right first time is to take the strings off, check that the neck is fairly straight then unscrew and put your shim in place. Hold the neck so it's firmly sat in the pocket over the shim and use a long ruler laid along the length to extend down to the bridge - that way you can see whether the strings are going to line up where you want them without having to put the strings back on, so there's less trial and error. Ideally you want the ruler to rest against the top of the bridge when it's adjusted to it's lowest point, then once you have the strings on you'll raise the bridge up a few mm to set the action and everything should dial in nicely.

5. tintag27

tintag27 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Was the action this high before you started your mods?

Two other things...
    1. It's 'Squier', not 'Squire' - some of us Squier owners get a bit precious about it, haha!
    2. Welcome to TDPRI! See - your life is better already!!

Festofish likes this.
  6. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

aaahm YES!
    The Bigsby must be way lower (strings) than the bridge.
    So when you just lower the TOM, the pressure on the saddles is gonna be too low. That'll cause big problems like strings jumping out when you bend them etc....

With that in mind,try to adjust the TOM es low as possible and use a shim under the neck to get the strings closer to the neck

7. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Tele-Meister

Shim the neck. Stewmac do full-pocket neck shims in either 0.25deg or 0.5deg - I'd get one of both, and start with the 0.25deg one, although you may need the 0.5deg one or even combine both. They're around $8 each, but worth it I think

Here they are:
    https://www.stewmac.com/tonewoods/s...itar-necks/stewmac-neck-shims-for-guitar.html

It's easy enough to make one yourself, but for the sake of $20 the convenience of using these is worth it. They're full-pocket as well, rather than a simple shim at the end which can end up distorting the neck

BerkshireDuncan likes this.
  8. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Yeah start with the bridge. Neck shims are great if you have started midway but since you’re at the beginning...adjust what you can first. Lower the bridge/saddles first.

9. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Either adjust as suggested or get a slide

joealso and TokyoPortrait like this.
  10. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

You want about 1/16" between the bottom of your strings and the top of the 15th fret.

If after lowering the bridge all the way, you're still high you need to remove the neck and add a shim to the butt end to adjust the angle. You can cut business cards up to make your shims. If you want to give your neck full support, you can then buy the StewMac shims, or make your own tapered shims if you're handy. Remember each business card will have a thickness of .008", so once you're happy with the action, you can count 'em up (one or two is usually more than enough), multiply by .008" and know what thickness you need.

Don't forget, if you end up a little too low, the bridge can come up!

Oldsmobum likes this.
  11. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Holic

Bawlmer, MD- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
    Might want to check the neck relief with a straight edge as well while your at it, looks like there might be more there than necessary but kinda hard to tell by the photos.

Hey_you likes this.
  12. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Just cut 1/4in off the ends of business cards and stick under the heel of the neck.

Business cards are made of paper which is made from wood -- so your tone will all be ok.

Look up guitar setup youtube videos by Frudua, Daves World Of Fun Stuff, and Sam Deeks.

Oldsmobum, Paul G. and Wallaby like this.
  13. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Afflicted

Such a weird word. To spell it correctly, you have to misspell it.

14. tintag27

tintag27 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It's not a misspelling. The name is that of an English violin maker who emigrated to the USA in the late 19th century... after that it gets complicated, but it's a fascinating story, and I am pleased to have this name on my tele's headstock.

15. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Poster Extraordinaire

The action...is too damn high!

[​IMG]

Oldsmobum and tintag27 like this.
  16. Wallaby

Wallaby Friend of Leo's

I hadn't thought of that!

I learned from a machinist friend of mine that paper doesn't compress. Or maybe it explodes under extreme pressure before it compresses.

17. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Holic

Looks like a neck shim may be in your future. I just used some old business cards in the last one I did. I know some people will roll their eyes, but it worked perfect.

Oldsmobum and Paul G. like this.
  18. grantbeddell

grantbeddell NEW MEMBER!

Thanks for the help neck shim worked perfect

Attached Files:

Paul G. likes this.
  19. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

I used one of the Stewmac shims on my MIJ custom Tele. w/Bigsby. That did the trick!

Cyberi4n likes this.
  20. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Afflicted

+1 check the relief first.

Fretting out likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.