Is this a vintage tele?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by edodo, Apr 12, 2015.

1. edodo

edodo TDPRI Member

Hello!
    Love your vintage teles so much!
    Can I join the club with a 81 tele?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

Ummm...

Nice tele though.

3. willyb

willyb Tele-Meister

Nice looking Tele. I like the way the aging on the neck looks!

but like Goonie said pre '74....like my '73 Thinline...

Attached Files:

4. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Missed it by 7 years. Nice though.

5. edodo

edodo TDPRI Member

Thanks, all teles are beautiful right?

It's a shame post 74 is not considered vintage here.
    because I was like a small child in front of a time capsule when I opened the case and find that warm feeling of having a piece of history, with the nice aging finish and looking at a very nice instruments despite all the bad rap I read about those infamous late 70s tele. Well I keep telling myself that it is indeed a blessing because I got it relatively cheap :lol:

Anyway, I will be back to the regular tele section, discussing the non vintage aspect of this non vintage guitar. Cheers!

6. MrTwang

MrTwang Friend of Leo's

Nothing wrong with your guitar and "vintage" is a pretty arbitrary term - technically meaningless unless you are talking about wine of a particular age but, as you can see from the heading at the top of the page, this forum defines "vintage" as pre-1974 so... no it isn't and no you can't.

If you wait a few years, I'm sure the definition will be revised.

I can certainly remember a time when a '73 Tele was definitely not vintage - just used.

7. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire

One day I woke-up and my '70 was somehow a vintage Tele. Time goes fast. I always thought of the 50s & 60s Teles as "vintage" guitars. Now, I go to the guitar shows and I see guys clamoring for the '70s stuff. I guess the older guitars are in very short supply these days. Yours is a knockout!

8. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

People often comment on our guitars...We tell them they weren't vintage when we bought them.

9. Tel E Twister

Tel E Twister Tele-Meister

That is a very nice guitar you have, but, most of us are just not ready to accept 1981 as a "vintage" year, not quite yet. Some of us just graduated High School that year(myself), while some of us had their first colonoscopy that year :eek:
    There was, and still is, something special about the year 1974.
    Even vintage car shows still use the year 1974 as the cut off. I don't know why, but someday it will become clear...maybe the day before they change it to a later year :lol:

BTW, I really am falling in love with your guitar :D

10. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I sort of understand the cutoff of '74 for the Tele vintage due to the disappearance of the notch, but IMHO realistically it should be 1982 at the end of the CBS era since there wer no real additional functional changes and I don't think the minor shape of the upper bout was done on purpose or if it was actually noticed when they changed their machinery out. Even Leo made changes for function and cost during his ownership, trying to improve the finishes or save a bit of time/money in production while trying not to affect quality.

I suspect that in the auto world, that was the major advent of emissions, smaller vehicles, unleaded gas, and trying to start improving fuel economy which is a bit more of a major industry change.

Love the OP's Tele. I have a '72/73 Custom and a 1982 Black & Gold.

11. BOBBRADLEY

BOBBRADLEY TDPRI Member

That tele is very nice! I dig it! As for 74 and late 70's tele's in general those are more retro I guess. That said they are of some vintage ...... Just not one that was considered a good one. the guys who originaly started collecting "used guitars" made that determination. Those years are the very reason buying older electric guitar became a thing. This we all know. I don't have a problem with them but I don't feel they should be lumped in with the fine examples from the 50's, 60's etc.
    Food for thought though a few years ago the national street rod association raised their cutoff to 1982 for events:eek: the older guys protested for the first for years, wearing 1982 shirts with the "ghostbusters" circle around it. Then time moved on and they got over it:D

12. knavel

knavel Tele-Meister

I would make the cut-off 1968 because of the change from lacquer to poly.

13. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Platinum Supporter

The change from lacquer to poly didn't change the appearance of the Telecaster much. You'd have to hold it in your hands to really notice the difference.

What WAS a major change in the Telecaster design, was this:

[​IMG]

The gradual transition from a "full notch" (1968) to "no notch" (1974), and at the same time altering the angle of the upper shoulder so that the body joins the neck at the 16th fret rather than the 17th - changing the overall shape of the body - is a way more dramatic change from the original Telecaster design than any new type of finish, saddles, body/fretboard wood, Leo/CBS or pickguard color.

Which is why the TDPRI wisely has chosen 1974 as the year of transition from "vintage" to "non-vintage".

14. MrTwang

MrTwang Friend of Leo's

I think that your logic would support a 1968 cutoff - i.e. the date that the body date started to change.

To me, the logical cutoff would be when Leo sold the company to CBS - maybe not the actual date (they carried on doing everything the same for a while) but certainly once CBS began to make changes to the manufacturing process for example, the change from clay to pearloid dot markers or bullet trussrods or the changes to the bridge design - all brought in to reduce manufacturing costs.

That would make it about 1965.

I'm not saying "CBS is rubbish" - I own and have played pre-CBS,CBS era and post CBS instruments and there are great and terrible examples around from each - but if we're drawing a line in the sand on Fender instruments, then the point at which Mr. Fender sold the company and manufacturing processes started to change is the obvious one to me - but even then, the line is fuzzy as Leo stayed on as a consultant for a while.

But the bottom line is that GearTalk own this forum so they get to say what the date is for the purposes of this discussion board.

15. Telemarkman

It does nothing of the sort. The gradual change of the "notch" was very marginal from 1969 and a couple of years on, and didn't affect the body's overall shape until the notch was all gone in 1974.

Now you're talking ... :D

16. Tele wacker

Tele wacker Tele-Holic

The neck on your Tele looks older than the body.

17. CNBaker

CNBaker TDPRI Member

1973 were no notch guitars also.

18. Telemarkman

Some were, some weren't. This 1973 Custom Tele has a pronounced notch, and there are many other examples of the same.

[​IMG]

1974 is the first year when the notch was totally gone on ALL Telecasters. So please leave it at rest ...

19. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Tele-Afflicted

That's what I thought too, but remember this thread about the topic where some posters brought evidence that exceptions still were possible after 74 (my luthier told me so too).

20. Telemarkman

Right. But exceptions is one thing, a random mix of both is another.:D

As I've said many times before: Inconsistency is Fender's middle name!:oops:

But we can't make rules based on some rare exceptions, I'm afraid.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.