Is this a thing? Shaped body blanks

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by SammyC, Jun 4, 2020.

1. SammyC

SammyC TDPRI Member

I'm thinking about my next project and I'd like to do a bit more of the woodwork this time (last one was a kit guitar).

I don't have much space or tools so I have to be realistic, but is it possible to buy an already shaped body (telecaster for example) but without any holes drilled or routed?

I'm UK based if that makes a difference.

2. paulmarr

paulmarr Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Hey Sammy

I would have thought that it would take more tools to route the neck and pickup cavities then to cut a blank to shape ... a $20 jigsaw and some sand paper versus routers, router bits, templates, clamps, drill, drill bits, etc, etc

I would also imagine if you contacted a supplier of custom bodies that they would sell you one before they did any more work?

3. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I've seen strat bodies like that, but not recently.

However, any place that sells bodies where they can do any custom work to the bodies should be able to leave out routs, but you may have to send them an email to find out.

You can try here:
    https://www.guitarbuild.co.uk

PeterUK and Matthias like this.
  4. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've used them twice and can vouch for their bodies. They'll do you one without cavities if you ask (or with whatever you want!).

5. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

That’s the easy part!

6. SammyC

SammyC TDPRI Member

Yeah, as soon as I posted this I thought that it may be the wrong way around! I'm happy doing most of the precision stuff, and I have access to a router and drill press.

What I was concerned about it shaping the body, I have a jigsaw but I don't think it can cut the thickness required for a guitar body. I had to shape the headstock on my kit guitar and it struggled cutting the 15mm of maple.

I'm guessing the neck pocket is the most critical one to get perfect? (It would be a bolt on neck)

7. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Afflicted

I'm sure I've seen unfinished bodies (that sounds horrible) for sale on ebay uk. Just cut to shape with possibly the neck pocket.

Then you customise with whatever p/u's & bridge you want to use.

8. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

If the typical body is too thick for your tools, you could consider a sandwich situation.

9. SammyC

SammyC TDPRI Member

PeterUK likes this.
  10. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

11. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Crimson will do customized "kits" that are devoid of routes if you prefer. They just posted about that on social media in the last few days. And they are in your geography.

Mr_Q likes this.
  12. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

If your jigsaw is having trouble cutting a maple headstock, it means the blade is either worn out or it's a blade they should be peddling at a boot sale.

Don't cheap out on jigsaw blades because with good ones there's a lot less sanding necessary, and they last a lot longer than the cheap ones. Here's what to get (look closely at the teeth).

[​IMG]

13. Mr_Q

Mr_Q Tele-Meister

I agree with Jim. Just email Office@crimsonguitars.com and Tom will point you toward someone who can help.

14. SammyC

SammyC TDPRI Member

Ok, been thinking about this and you've all convinced my to do it properly with a full blank! :)

I'm going to buy a neck as building one of those is definitely a step too far currently!

So, a couple of questions:

If I buy a body blank, will it need planing flat? Assuming it's the correct thickness for what I want.

What wood should I consider for lightweight? I have a mahogany SG self build that weighs 9lbs and have just finished a kit LPJr that weighs 5lbs and would like to aim halfway between the two.

Any good suggestions for a high quality neck builder in the UK? Warmoth are too expensive once you take into account shipping. My current baseline is probably going to be Crimson Guitars.

15. guitarbuilder

A typical Fender type body is 1.75" thick. My feeling is that a one piece body is susceptible to warping unless it is quartersawn, depending on the species. Mahogany and Basswood are pretty stable if dried correctly. Poplar and Maple are not as stable in the width of a one piece body, from my experience.

I would opt for a 2-3 piece body for stability. Planing would depend on the wood you get. Some places will sell it S2S which is surfaced two sides. I would expect a Warmoth neck to be cheaper than a custom made neck even with shipping costs from the US. Most people like a tele body in the 4 lb. range.

16. SammyC

SammyC TDPRI Member

Would I have to dry the wood too then?

17. SammyC

SammyC TDPRI Member

Shipping is about $100 plus tax :(

18. guitarbuilder

I guess it depends on who you buy it from. Moisture content is a question you'll need to bring up. Around here I can buy rough lumber just milled into slabs from local trees a few days ago, or at the lumber store, kiln dried furniture grade select boards. Typical kiln dried lumber is about 6-8 % moisture content. Air dried, unless you are in a dry climate, won't generally get that low. You want dry timber if you are making a nice body out of it. You don't want it to turn into a potato chip shape after you've made it.

19. guitarbuilder

Look for a used Fender or Classic Vibe neck locally.

20. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.