1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is this a structural or just cosmetic problem?

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by Strowbri86, Jan 1, 2021.

1. Strowbri86

Strowbri86 Tele-Meister

I'm looking at this bass on eBay and I'm interested in it. I want this kind of hollow body bass - Matsumoku Japanese 60s bass with the pickups I know I like. It's what I'm looking for.

The issue is you can see between the neck pickup and and neck where the body has settled downward over time. The seller says it plays well, neck joint has no issues, action is good. And it does look like it is intact and the neck and strings are where they should be. But I've never had an instrument that is quite that old or settled that much.
    So I'm wondering, to those who have the experience, is that a big problem down the road or is it just cosmetic as long as everything is working?

The price is definitely right so I wanted to see what y'all here think first. Also happy new year! ✌

Screenshot_20210101-201857_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20210101-201832_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20210101-201816_eBay.jpg

2. Delinquent

Delinquent Tele-Meister

Beautiful bass, but yikes! Looks like there is not much meat around the heel in the neck pocket... I wonder if there's a 1/4" tall shim in there to make it playable. :D The undulations in the face are a bit more than I've seen before. Did they show different angles?

Reedt2000 likes this.
  3. Scoops

Scoops Tele-Meister

I concur with everything @Delinquent said. He just beat me to it

Reedt2000 likes this.
  4. Strowbri86

Strowbri86 Tele-Meister

It appears so. Hmm.. frets are about gone though

Screenshot_20210101-205928_eBay.jpg

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    Delinquent and Reedt2000 like this.
  5. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 TDPRI Member

I imagine the top has come off of the bracing beneath and the pressure of the strings is causing it to move around unchecked. I gotta think it'd be a difficult (maybe impossible at this point) thing to fix. Unless its UBER cheap I'd avoid this one...

dogmeat, Delinquent and Strowbri86 like this.
  6. Delinquent

Delinquent Tele-Meister

The bottom of the pocket looks modified in the pic too, plus the general geometry of fitment of the neck is odd. I wonder if that's the original neck? The fretboard is really high over the upper edge of the pocket on the body. I've not seen that in my recent travels. :D

dogmeat likes this.
  7. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

its having serious problems that will only continue to get worse. it's worth the price of the neck, the electrics, and the hardware. buy it if it is cheap enough and build a body to mount to goodies on

and as delinquent said... the neck pocket is odd. I've never seen a pocket that wasn't the same thickness front to back. looks to me like someone beveled an angle on it. they probably did that because the shims it needed looked to much and too obvious. and now, it still needs more shims

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    Bassman8 and Reedt2000 like this.
  8. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

Anything can be fixed, but that bass is a mess. It looks like it's falling apart and suffering materials failure. About the nicest thing I can say based on the pics is that it exists -- though even that is iffy since it looks close to collapsing.

Bassman8, Reedt2000 and Ghostdriver like this.
  9. Wallaby

Wallaby Friend of Leo's

I think it's slowly folding.

There's travel left in the bridge, though.

[edit] just noticed the heel photo...

Reedt2000 and EsquireBoy like this.
  10. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

It clearly is, the top has folded a lot already, so the neck angle was not right at all anymore and they had to put a huge shim in the pocket to compensate.
    I concur: it will get worse and become unplayable. It would take huge efforts to repair the geometry of the top, if only possible. I would pass on this one, unless it’s mostly decorative.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  11. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

How much is it? With the neck pickup being where it is there's easy access to place a post and bring the body back up, Neck shims could be sorted, could be a good project, all down to how many $'s and time you want to put into it.

12. ctmullins

ctmullins Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

If you’re interested in a project with structural challenges that need fixing, then yes.

If you’re looking for something to play, then no.

Reedt2000 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.