1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

is this a real Ron Kirn guitar?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Deeve, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

the reason I ask here, is you guys know stuff

the reason I haven't asked RK directly is he's got to have better things to do
    and
    the reason I ask is the story "records lost in computer crash..." just doesn't sound legit.
    https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/msg/d/kent-ron-kirn-custom-strat-birdseye/7010910079.html

Ron Kirn is a master custom guitar builder who uses old-school finishing techniques and nitrocellulose lacquer. This guitar was a custom build from 2010 – I asked Ron for details and unfortunately due to a computer crash, he no longer has the specs for this instrument.

Ron's website: http://www.ronkirn.com/

• Flame/Birdseye neck
    • Quilted Maple top
    • Locking tuners
    • Wilkinson bridge
    • Recessed jack plate – one of Ron’s signature features is recessing the jack plate so that it’s flush with the body.
    • Custom wound pickups (I asked about wire gauge/resistance, etc but the info was lost)
    • The neck is on the thicker side – if you looked at Warmoth’s sizing, I’d guess it would be more of a Fatback or 59 Roundback. Just to be clear, it’s not a Warmoth neck, I’m just using their sizing chart as an example: https://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/backcontours.aspx
    • It comes with a case and tremolo bar. It looks like it's a TKL hard case with nylon exterior. The case is in good shape, but the exterior is a little on the dusty side. All zippers work.
    • The Guitar condition is great. Since it is a nitro finish, there are 2 or 3 lacquer depressions on the back and sides that do not break the lacquer and could probably be repaired with heat but are VERY unnoticeable unless you know where to look. I've never gigged with it, just light studio use. I'm not the original owner, but judging by the condition, I think it would safe to assume it hasn't been played much or gigged with at all.
    • I believe it’s a 2 piece neck, solid back maple with a maple fret board, and it looks great!
    Ron also confirmed in his email that new, this guitar would cost over $3000 to build if ordered today.

[​IMG]

Fretting out likes this.
  2. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

That's looks like the real McCoy headstock!! Enjoy that Baby!!
    Lets see the rest!!

3. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

I'm sure the man himself will chime in but the logo looks real. Not sure what the little symbol on the headstock is all about. Ask for pics of the control cavity Ron always puts a label in there with the customers name. Looks good to me though.

4. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

only 3 pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bergy and Shuster like this.
  5. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

Beautiful Brother!! I'm Envious:)

6. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Afflicted

I'm definitely not the expert you seek, but she's a stunning guitar. The real questions; how does she sound, and how does she play?

Shuster likes this.
  7. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic

He's a frequent contributor over on Strat-Talk...as Ron Kirn...
    Go ask him.

jimash likes this.
  8. reckless meanie

reckless meanie Tele-Holic

It looks like one of his, the serial number 0357 matches up the year 2010. He made me one at the end of 2011 that was 0460 and the neck plate and trem and control covers are countersunk. Who else does that besides him? I would feel pretty safe saying it was one of his.

9. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

Whenever his name is in a post, he shows up.
    He will show up given a little time. Before he does, my guess is that it’s the real deal. RK makes some real beauties and this one looks to live up to that standard.
    Patients and you’ll get your answers right from the horses mouth.

Fretting out likes this.
  10. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I like how sellers always say it’s a 3000 dollar guitar and proceed to ask for 1800

That’s what happens when you have something custom made to your specs it may be worth that to you but how many other people want “your” exact specs on their guitar

Ends up being a great deal for the next guy

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Other than an out and out paddle style headstock, how are you supposed to get a Kirn "S" headstock out of the typical aftermarket neck?

I could be wrong, and maybe we should just ask Ron this basic question, but if there's wood contained in this headstock that wouldn't be there on the typical headstock a counterfeiter would have, then what are the chances this is a fake? And remember, we're not talking the usual paddle neck here. This one is very heavily figured.

12. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Headstock shape appears wrong to me. At least according to current RK guitars. I would suggest you buy one direct from Mr Kirn. The one I recently purchased cost less than $1800 especially if you wait for a sale on his website. That way you are assured it is the real deal.

That Cal Webway and nojazzhere like this.
  13. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

yep, it looks like mine.. really.. other than the color and the figured wood, it's pretty much exactly like my personal Strat.... what's the serial number?

and yeah, I did have a computer crash a few years back, I still have the HDD and am slowly recovering bits of data...

also, should ya buy it.. and can handle shipping to and from me, I'll go over it, redo the setup and get her back to OEM specs.... no charge... 'cause I'm whacky like that... :p

Ron

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.