1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is this a real MIM body?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by StevenDuke, Dec 12, 2020.

1. StevenDuke

StevenDuke TDPRI Member

Hi,
    I 've been following this forum, looking for answer while playing building guitar as a hobby. I always found the right answers here! So here is my first post; I got this '91 body from a guy saying it is a MIM Fender. What do you guys think? PXL_20201213_030519693.jpg PXL_20201213_030514750.jpg

Geo likes this.
  2. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I’m not sure there was even a fender Mexico in 91

Welcome to the forum

Edit: I’m wrong apparently fender started making guitars in Mexico in 90

3. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Yep. It's the old Ensenada plant that burnt down 1994. The new plant produces bodies with the cnc crop circles. A lot of bodies and necks to the old plant came from the US during that period.

StevenDuke likes this.
  4. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Looks nice.

5. StevenDuke

StevenDuke TDPRI Member

I got a neck with it that seems a Chinese copy, I don't know, why a roasted maple would have such a thick coat of lacquer? I guess it is stained, not really flamed. PXL_20201204_163032805.jpg PXL_20201204_163037937.jpg This neck is new and not identified anywhere.

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Welcome, Steven!

I think it is, but whatever it is, it is a better than average, pretty decent looking body. MIM or not, you're still going to have to go slow, to get the pickguard, bridge plate and etc fitting just so.

But the neck is an issue. I think it was painted in black, then an effort to strip the black off was attempted. Doesn't look like roasting to me.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  7. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Holic

From what you've shown, that body looks pretty nice. I would consider a neck refin, but there is so much finish on the fretboard (from the look of it) that it would be a pain. It looks like someone did burnouts across it with their moped, and then sealed it in lacquer :) It's probably a finish experiment that didn't go quite right.

Fretting out likes this.
  8. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Holic

Yeah that's a Chinese "toasted" neck off Bay. When the roasted maple craze hit, a number of sellers in China were literally holding the necks over an open flame, lightly charring them and calling them roasted maple. They're mostly gone now replaced with poorly roasted necks with no charring.

That neck s firewood, literally and figuratively.

StevenDuke likes this.
  9. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

whooda thunkit.... is this a real MIM?

10. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Afflicted

nice body but i think someone smuggle that neck up their butt

Wrighty and Doorlord like this.
  11. StevenDuke

StevenDuke TDPRI Member

Do you think it's even worth trying the neck? Maybe I should start looking for something else. Anyway, it's a bolt on, the way I see it, I could keep this crap installed while searching a good one. Never seen used neck for sale though...

12. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Was there a MIM Custom model in '91?

I found an MIJ.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
    Racer5 likes this.
  13. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Afflicted

The neck will work for this look
    [​IMG]

14. Racer5

Racer5 Tele-Afflicted

this is what I'm seeing too. that routing is definitely tele custom. interesting.

15. CustFan

CustFan TDPRI Member

I don't think this is a Fender body. Tele Customs made by Fender (US, Japan or Mexico) have a three bolt neck (micro-tilt or copy thereof in the case of Japanese models). The Squier Tele custom currently made has a four screw neck mount. I'm not sure whether these were made back in 1991 but remember seeing a photo of one somewhere.....

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
  16. Geo

Geo Poster Extraordinaire

Some MIM telecasters, like my James Burton Std. and the California model for example have that HB
    route even if all single coil pickups. If this is a MIM the body thickness should be approximately 1-3/4".
    If 1-5/8" or less then an Asian type.

17. StevenDuke

StevenDuke TDPRI Member

I measure it at 1 3/4". But other than that, is there a way to find out by what was stamped on the pocket? Another hint, the guy who sold it to me said it never was a complete guitar. A pickguard and Bigsby bridge were mounted on it but that's it. I believe him, as other than those holes it really is almost like new.

Geo likes this.
  18. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Holic

Nothing to lose. Bolt it on. It may grow on you depending on what you do the rest of the guitar. I've ought a few of those highly flamed (not roasted) and they have been ok. I've had to dress the sharp fret ends on a few and occasionally have a high fret or two that I have just reset with a whack from a hammer on a maple block. Some have been just fine right out of the box.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.