1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is this a real fender?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by B45822, Oct 2, 2020.

1. B45822

B45822 TDPRI Member

Is this telecaster a fender? I don’t think it is but for 60$ I had to find out. Thank you

Attached Files:

2. SbS

SbS Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

No, it doesn't look like it. Very hard to imagine someone selling a real Fender at 60$.

erratick and Dan_Pomykalski like this.
  3. abeck90

abeck90 TDPRI Member

Has Fender ever done a black logo on the headstock like that? Also, no serial number? It looks like the tuners were replaced as well

Edit: answered my own question about the black logo (yes, but I don't think this one is a real Fender)

Dan_Pomykalski likes this.
  4. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Holic

Yes, they did in the 90's. Here's a P-bass I used to own.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GGardner likes this.
  5. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Holic

There's much more done to this guitar than just the tuners being replaced.

6. B45822

B45822 TDPRI Member

I bought it at a coon dog trial/ swap meet so I figured anything could be possible. One thing I noticed I don’t like is the string holes in the back arnt perfeclty horizontally straight and the finish is cracked.

Attached Files:

7. drichard170

drichard170 TDPRI Member

this is quite possibly "leftover" parts from another Tele (or two)that got upgraded. If that Seymour Duncan Pickup works that is a $80 pickup new, probably worth $25 as is now. The headstock looks like they sanded off the "M" serial number and this might be old enough that it is from before folks realized how perfectly fine Mexican made fender stuff is. I say someone had a tele that loved the body color, swapped the neck and some different hardware and then grabbed an old body to mount as a second guitar. In my opinion, that is a great candidate for a dedicated to open tunings or slide. I would take that neck pickup out too to see if it is a Duncan as well.
    The uneven string ferrules has me stumped, looks hack but once again, it might be a fine player. If it is fender parts, and I think the neck is, someone seemed intent on modding it.

Telecentric, AAT65 and B45822 like this.
  8. B45822

B45822 TDPRI Member

I was thinking maybe it was a telecaster plus because of the switch between the tone and volume non but This is what I find underneath.

Attached Files:

9. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Yep. Mid-90s MIM Fenders are known as "black labels" these days.

But that is not a Fender neck. The sculpting of the headstock is not consistent with Fender's Tele headstock. It does look like an Indonesian Squier neck--based on that black ABS plastic insert in the truss rod adjustment hole.

Blue Bill, RodeoTex, erratick and 2 others like this.
  10. SbS

SbS Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I imagine it's self made, because the switch is off center. Headstock is sanded / scratched underneath the black Fender logo, so there might have been something previous owner didn't want us to see.

Ferrules on the back are too close together, so might be originally a top loader body, holes drilled afterwards. Or wrong type of ferrules.

Too many question marks.

E: Can you measure the thickness of the body? As Peegoo mentioned, a Squier Affinity is one possibility.

jscud and Fiesta Red like this.
  11. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

The bridge is an American Series. You certainly have $60 worth of parts.

It could be a 90's Black Label MIM Fender neck. There were also some (I think) that were Black Label with Fender in large writing & Squier Series in small print. I think that's what it is. They've removed both the MIM & the Squier Series I think.

So my guess is, 90's MIM Squier Series with upgraded bridge, tuners & both pickups.

On the back of the headstock you can see holes that would go with the Squier Series tuners. They run diagonal but opposite Fender's F stamp 70's style tuners. They also were top loaders.

Found a pic
    https://harvestmusic.com/fender-telecaster-mim-squier-series/

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    KATT and B45822 like this.
  12. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

These actually aren't string ferrules at all. They are the leftover bushings from the old tuners.

This body was originally a top loader.

tubegeek, RodeoTex and urbandefault like this.
  13. pinchegil

pinchegil Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

That neck is a 94-95 mexican "Squire Series Neck" fantastic deal. Read about the fire in the mexican plant and then ignore it, "Squire Series" from those years you can see where they sanded off the made in mexico, mexican serial and the "Squire Series" the Black Logo "Squire Series" were actually MIM's with cheaper electronics, tuners, bridge. Those have been replaced you can see where they screwed up drilling out the tuner holes :( What you have is a fully modded MIM, I have a strat of the same year pay it more than my MIAs

SecretSquirrel likes this.
  14. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Does it play good? Looks like a cool tele-type.

Treehouse likes this.
  15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I don't know where those bushy things came from, but they're utterly nonfunctional in this (mis)application.

I'm intrigued by the collar at the truss access point. I'm so used to seeing these Chinese sourced fake necks, with super obvious access detailing. Maybe this wreck did have something to do with FMIC at one time.

16. Fireball519

Fireball519 Tele-Meister

The real question is...did you also go home with a coon dog? And if so...wheres the pics?

tubegeek, radiocaster and Veitchy like this.
  17. Veitchy

Veitchy Tele-Afflicted

Real talk right here.

tubegeek and radiocaster like this.
  18. telepicker52

telepicker52 Tele-Holic

Was it at Mac's Flea Market at Allen County Fairgrounds? That thing is huge!!

19. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

If you check out that link in my other post it says it's rumored that the 90's MIM Squire Series may have been using Fender parts.

On guitars that are not meant to be high volume productions Fender does have a habit of doing that.

You never know.

20. Dan_Pomykalski

Dan_Pomykalski Tele-Meister

Lol

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.