1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is this a real Fender? Would trade a Guild for it?

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by waltschwarzkopf, Mar 5, 2018.

1. waltschwarzkopf

waltschwarzkopf Tele-Meister

Hi guys,

I have a Guild Starfire III that I never play, so she just stays in her case in a corner all day, which is quite sad for a guitar. I have it up for sale and more or less settled on a price with a potential buyer, but now he says that he has to sell his guitar(s) first, because he doesn’t have any money… I saw his ads and I found the following of my interest:

Fender Telecaster set neck spalted maple with TV Jones Filtertron Pickups. Built in 2012 in Korea. Mahogany neck and body, set neck. Very light. Best condition. Gretsch sound! Sounds like a Fender cabronita. Can be played before buying.

To be honest, I have seen HH Teles but never a set neck. Hence me questioning its originality. But after some web search, I found the FMT special edition, which comes with Seymour Duncans and not with TV Jones’. I had thought about buying a used tele but had not really looked much nor found anything. So I offered him to trade my Guild for his Fender plus some cash. He says he bought the guitar already with those pickups, so most likely used. Then he added that TV Jones' are of tge highest quality USA pickups and come only on expensive Gretsch. I guess this is his marketing move to make a modded guitar more attractive.

What do you think? Do any of you have any experience with these models? I would have preferred the Seymour Duncans instead of the Jones' pickups, but as I have not played either, I cannot comment. I’ve tried to give my Guild a chance but when I grab it I play for a few min and then put it away and rather play any of my other guitars.

Is this Fender legit? If so, I guess it is this one http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...lectric-guitar

Would you trade for it? The Guild sells about for 1150CHF new online and the Fender for about 830CHF, so I offer to trade plus 300CHF.

Any advise and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Walter

P.S. If you live in Zürich and want to get together and jam, send me a PM.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

shupe13 likes this.
  2. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I think those spalted maple teles would be pretty hard to fake!

I have seen this model in books. Looks totally legit to me.

Telemarx and nojazzhere like this.
  3. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

That's a very, very lovely Guild!

I've personally never been a fan of set neck teles.

I would not do that trade, but hey that's just me.

4. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Adios Señor Guild. Say hello to my new little friend.

shupe13 likes this.
  5. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

My buddy has that splatted Korean Tele and it’s a great instrument.

drf64 likes this.
  6. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

I really like both of those guitars but that Tele looks a bit special (assuming it's legit - and I don't know enough to offer an opinion on that).

7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I've never been a big fan of "splatted" Teles....they just sound too, well, "splatty". ;)

hemingway likes this.
  8. waltschwarzkopf

I've tried offering mine to other people selling their guitars, but most of the are interested on selling and not trading.

I got an offer to trade my guild for a Strat, but I didn't like the strat. I kinda like this tele, I'll see if we can make a deal and then try them both and see if we agree.

I've tried giving the Guild a change, and most people say that is sweet and that they would no trade it. But it just doesn't speak to me. I traded another guitar that I liked for that Guild, only because the Guild was worth more and thinking that I could sell it fast and for more... boy was I wrong. Many people said that they would trade my current guitar (Epi Trad Pro) for that Guild fast. Next time I trade it will be because I like the way the other guitar sounds and plays and not because of the value.

9. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Don't know anything about the spalted Tele but you should figure out if you want the TV Jones pickups in the first place. They are a top quality improvement to any humbucker guitar to me, but I don't like Gibson HBs and play mostly single coils. What kind are they? Classics, Classic+, Powertron?

10. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    If you never play your Guild (meaning you really are bonded with it) and you are interested in the Tele, you offer seems like a fair one. I'd say go for it? Does it include a case?

11. waltschwarzkopf

Don't know, I would have preferred the original SDs on there, and I'm already thinking on buying a SD Hot Rodded set to replace those TV jones... The guy doesn't know the model, all he knows is that they are TV Jones' from a Gretsch, he bought the guitar like that.

I don't really like the spalted maple top, I would have preferred the flamed maple top on amber on other FMT HH teles. But having an all-mahogany guitar with a set neck is kinda of what I like. And this may make me want to play this Fender more than my Guild.

12. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Why? They have tons of spalted maple top Chibsons, some very nice looking.

I have no idea if it's real or not, but it wouldn't be a good deal if the Guild is USA and not Korean as well.

13. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I'd sit on the Guild, doesn't hurt anything to keep it in a case while you wait on a sale. You don't want the pickups and you don't like the spalted top, and there are plenty of set neck mahogany guitars out there that have tops and pickups you require.

14. waltschwarzkopf

The Guild is also from the new collection that is made in Korea. What is funny though, is that he has a Guild Starfire III USA for sale along this Fender and other guitars...

You're right, I can wait until it sells or until the right guitar comes along for a trade. For whatever I sell it I will make a profit, so better not rushing.

BorderRadio likes this.
  15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Can't hurt to go check the Tele out though, to get an idea of how it sounds and feels.
    Seems like it may be a while before you see another one and if that's the ballpark guitar you're looking for it may be a rare chance to really try one out.

One thing I figured out is that a random new set of specs never tells me how a guitar will play and sound, and a set neck Tele is pretty much set in its ways.

Overall the Tele is worth less than the Guild, so maybe a fair trade would include some cash for you along with the Tele, if you happen to fall in love with it.

A buddy of mine walked out of a guitar shop with his nice Schecter Tele because they wouldn't give him enough in trade toward a single pickup US Gretch Anniversary.
    I pushed him back in and he took a bit of a loss but got a guitar he really loved.
    Spent some money for a second pickup and melita bridge.
    Sometimes value is more complicated than dollars or francs.

16. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

If you get the deal you mention in your post ie the guild for the tele plus 300 chf then its a fair trade.
    Go play the guitar and see if you like it.

waltschwarzkopf likes this.
  17. shupe13

shupe13 Tele-Afflicted

Loves the Tele!

18. waltschwarzkopf

The guy accepted to trade + 250CHF. I guess it won’t hurt to look at it and see how it plays.

telemnemonics and warrent like this.
  19. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

Whoa, MF lists that tele as having a 15+ inch radius? I want one now.

20. waltschwarzkopf

I hadn’t notice that, seems cool.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.